PDA

View Full Version : Pre-filters

steva44
08-05-2007, 01:37 AM
Just removed all my pre-filters today from the pumps, the only one I left on was to baffle the sound of the skimmer exhaust. I noticed they were all covered in a green and brown crud. I clean them regularly, but I am pretty sure they are doing more bad then good. What are some of your opinions on this? Do you guys leave them off or on?

christyf5
08-05-2007, 01:45 AM
you mean like the sponge prefilters? I've never used them, I hate cleaning them and would never stick to any kind of schedule so I just left them off. I did use intake guards on my pumps though as I used to have fish ride the overflow into the sump. Since I've installed a stockman pipe I've taken the guards off. :biggrin:

Captainhemo
08-06-2007, 07:27 AM
Hey Christy, what's a stockman pipe ?

christyf5
08-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Its basically a more "compact" design based on the durso style pipe. This one is for overflow boxes that have a tighter fit in them. This website has photos that explain it better than I can in words :wink:

http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/standpipe/standpipe-ken_stockman.htm

Parker
08-08-2007, 12:02 AM
I run a prefilter on the maxi-jet that runs my phos reactor. I have a HA problem at the moment. The prefilter keeps the reactor from clogging every couple of days. I run everything else without.