PDA

View Full Version : Seahorse buddies

revgeoff
08-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Well, my 30gal seahorse tank is doing very well after almost a month. So far the inhabitants are:
4 Seahorses, 2pipefish a seahare (sooo ugly it is cute), an urchin, a clam and a brittle star to pick up the left overs.

Does anyone have any suggestions on some buddies I can put in the tank? Would a couple of Cardinals be ok? Any specific gobies?

Just so you know, its a 30gal cube (more or less anyway) with a 250W MH over the top. Obviously I don't have a ton of flow as well.

Thanks for any suggestions!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-04-2007, 06:03 PM
Other seahorse "buddies" can include:

Cardinals (slow moving & not too aggressive)
Royal Gramma or Blackcap Basslet
Yellow or Blue Assessors
Shrimp gobies (had a Yellow watchman in mine)
Twin spot gobies (sand-sifters don't normally bother seahorses)
Most blennies & gobies tend to be ok, but I think the fewer fish in a seahorse tank, the better they like it. Less competition & seahorse tanks are high bioload already.

Not safe:

Lawnmower blenny (will suck on the seahorses - they hate that)

Incomplete list but just keep out anything that might possibly outcompete or are too fast or aggressive.

Mik_101
08-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Get some flow and add corals IMO:biggrin:

justinl
08-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Anthony, i have heard that royal grammas with seahorses was a bad idea. reason being that grammas tend to be faster moving and too aggfressive for the horsies' liking.

other than that i agree with anthony's advice. slow peaceful fish is the idea. i personally like the idea of a couple cardinals. just keep bioload in mind.

bv_reefer
08-04-2007, 06:53 PM
True they are quite fast-moving, but with lots of live rock all they do is hide,
or so i've heard...

chandler
08-04-2007, 09:26 PM
i have a dwarf lionfish in with my sea horses

revgeoff
08-04-2007, 09:54 PM
OA has some nice cardinals so I was thinking two of them to make the whole thing complete.
As for flow, I only have a maxijet (or whatever they are called) 400 plus return flow from the skimmer and canister filter.

Chowder
08-04-2007, 10:03 PM
I had a phsychedelic mandrin fish in mine. Very slow and did not bother or compete for food with the horses. It did eat frozen and pods. I also had a yellow assesor and a possume wrasse that hid in the back of the tank. I would see him every so often and remember I had it.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-04-2007, 10:16 PM
With a young Royal Gramma, I find they are timid, shy fish. If it grows up with the seahorses, they should be ok in terms of not being aggressive.

Mandarins are great but they compete for live food with the seahorses. I had a mated pair in my seahorse refugium before & they ate frzn mysis already, so they were fine. Getting them to eat frzn is the real trick though.

steva44
08-05-2007, 01:54 AM
A Lawnmower Blenny will suck on the sea horses? Erase that picture from my mind....

Mik_101
08-05-2007, 03:03 AM
A Lawnmower Blenny will suck on the sea horses? Erase that picture from my mind....

LMAO who else but steva.

krisalexander
08-05-2007, 05:26 AM
If your tank has sand as a substrate, I would recommend twin-spotted gobies, get a pair of them and they are a cool fish, they will clean the sand, slow moving, and they are not the most expensive fish around, j&l has them at about 15$ each..

kris