PDA

View Full Version : skimmer

bv_reefer
08-04-2007, 03:03 AM
-just got a seaclone skimmer for up to 150-gallon tanks yesterday, but i got a maxi-jet 900 with it, and everyone says that a maxi-jet 1200 is recomm-
ended for this particular skimmer, so anyone think this could cause loss of efficiency while skimming?

albert_dao
08-04-2007, 04:59 AM
The problem won't be the pump, it'll be the fact that the SeaClone is garbage :(

bv_reefer
08-04-2007, 05:11 AM
-ya so i've heard but mind you it's gonna be all softies who don't like skimming
too much, so any skimming is better than none, in another couple months i'll invest in a nice berlin, but for now the seaclone will have to do-

Mik_101
08-04-2007, 05:16 AM
The problem won't be the pump, it'll be the fact that the SeaClone is garbage :(

Hey man come on. Is it garbage because its cheap?(probably is) I bet you if a deltech was under $200.00 it would be garbge to eh?

PS- Mine works like a charm.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-04-2007, 05:53 AM
There are certain hang-on-back skimmers that waaaaaaay over-rate how big a tank it can handle. Seaclones & prisms are ok for small tanks, but anything above a 33g would probably be way underskimmed. If it works for you, great. But in general, these low-end HOB skimmers are useless, espeically if you follow the manufacturer's guidelines.

For instance, I think Red Sea states that their Prism Pro is good for up to 300g. I'm sorry, but that may be ok if the tank has no fish or livestock in it, but I wouldn't trust a PrismPro for anything larger than a 65g at the most.

fkshiu
08-04-2007, 06:02 AM
Like many others I too started off with a Seaclown way back when because it was cheap and I didn't know any better. It was fiddly, poorly built and didn't do a darn thing but overflow.

I have no doubt that someone could be satisfied by its performance but you won't be anymore when you see what a "real" skimmer in action can do.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-04-2007, 06:31 AM
Miki,

I noticed you're also using the Seaclone on a sps tank. Good luck with that. SPS like almost nutrient-free water quality, which you probably won't get long term with this brand of skimmer. Overskimming, not underskimming, is the general rule of thumb with sps.

Mik_101
08-04-2007, 06:34 AM
Miki,

I noticed you're also using the Seaclone on a sps tank. Good luck with that. SPS like almost nutrient-free water quality, which you probably won't get long term with this brand of skimmer. Overskimming, not underskimming, is the general rule of thumb with sps.

Ok what skimmer would you suggest that is under 200$ Ther probably isent any that will make the cut for sps. I will look on the local Craigslist and on canreef and hope to find something.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-04-2007, 06:42 AM
A used Remora Pro would probably be a better bang-for-your-buck HOB skimmer. In general, hob skimmers just aren't as good as in-sumps like ASM or Euroreef RS series, in terms of bang-for-the-buck factor.

krisalexander
08-04-2007, 06:46 AM
I got a remora pro for sale *hint* *hint*

Kris

bv_reefer
08-04-2007, 06:47 AM
-but for $40 for a skimmer u can't go 2 wrong, used but what ever
-by the way i was worried that the berlin hang-on for up to 250-gallons that
i'm planning on gettin wud be over skimming but from what u say it shud be perfect!

bv_reefer
08-04-2007, 06:50 AM
-thats ok it's starting to skim finally, tweeked the intake on the power head and its foaming better-

Mik_101
08-04-2007, 06:50 AM
i'm planning on gettin wud be over skimming but from what u say it shud be perfect!

When you get the Berlin I'm buying the SeaClone of you right?

marie
08-04-2007, 06:51 AM

Research well before you spend your money on a berlin, sometimes waiting until you have enough money for a better piece of equipment is worth it in the long run.
I would also like to say the seaclone is probably perfect for you right now. It's cheap and gives you time to save up for a "good" skimmer

bv_reefer
08-04-2007, 06:55 AM
i don't know..... just joking sure u do, 2 big skimmers on a 33-gallon softie reef, probablywouldn't be the smartest thing 2 do! -but that ain't hapening for a good 4-5 months, so until then enjoy ur sps tank and don't complain!

Mik_101
08-04-2007, 07:07 AM
i don't know..... just joking sure u do, 2 big skimmers on a 33-gallon softie reef, probablywouldn't be the smartest thing 2 do! -but that ain't hapening for a good 4-5 months, so until then enjoy ur sps tank and don't complain!

Lol don't tell me not to complain. LOL Just joking around.

EmilyB
08-04-2007, 07:11 AM
Where is the "easy button" ?

bv_reefer
08-04-2007, 07:14 AM
-right in front of me obviously

EmilyB
08-04-2007, 07:16 AM
No, it's at Staples.....:lol:

Mik_101
08-04-2007, 07:24 AM
No, it's at Staples.....:lol:

LOL

Moogled
08-04-2007, 07:30 AM
Man, you guys should really look into keeping a smaller tank and just casually keep a reef tank until you're older.

You're young. You don't have money. You don't have experience.

It's better to breed this hobby slowly if you're starting out young.

bv_reefer
08-04-2007, 07:38 AM
-and where do you propose i get experience from moogled, looking at an empty tank till i think im ''ready''? -or actually getting off my behind and actually trying a hobby out? which do u propose gives more meaning 2 the hobby?

Mik_101
08-04-2007, 07:39 AM
Man, you guys should really look into keeping a smaller tank and just casually keep a reef tank until you're older.

You're young. You don't have money. You don't have experience.

It's better to breed this hobby slowly if you're starting out young.

Moogled I don't think were going to tare are whole tank now. Now I bet 50 more people will agree with you. I don't see the point of canreef when me and my cosine are going to be harassed left and right.

bv_reefer
08-04-2007, 07:42 AM
-by the way i heard small tanks can be quite a pain in the a**, with all the fluctuations in temp,pH,salinity and all that...:neutral:

Mik_101
08-04-2007, 07:44 AM
-by the way i heard small tanks can be quite a pain in the a**, with all the fluctuations in temp,pH,salinity and all that...:neutral:

Yah I also herd that as well.

Aquattro
08-04-2007, 08:37 AM
Boys, the problem is you're young and inexperienced. No problem, that's what we're here for. Now, when someone tells you something, stop arguing all the time. Most people giving you advice have been here for 5 years or more. Things like you don't need sand to buffer, Seaclones are garbage, etc. These things are true. BV, you complain that it takes too long to search for things....are we in a rush for something? Use the search function, we pay to keep everything archived just for that reason. Look up "buffer +sand" or "seaclone" to find out what has been talked about over the years.
Should you tear your tank down? No. But if you're going to ask questions and participate in these threads, listen to the advice given. People are trying to be helpful, not get in an argument.

reeferaddict
08-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Boys, the problem is you're young and inexperienced. No problem, that's what we're here for. Now, when someone tells you something, stop arguing all the time. Most people giving you advice have been here for 5 years or more. Things like you don't need sand to buffer, Seaclones are garbage, etc. These things are true. BV, you complain that it takes too long to search for things....are we in a rush for something? Use the search function, we pay to keep everything archived just for that reason. Look up "buffer +sand" or "seaclone" to find out what has been talked about over the years.
Should you tear your tank down? No. But if you're going to ask questions and participate in these threads, listen to the advice given. People are trying to be helpful, not get in an argument.

Couldn't agree more with you Brad and if ANYONE on this board is any kind of "guru" you are it...

In defense of the young people though, we DO tend to talk down to them I think in part because of the way they talk... much like the way WE talked different than our parents and previous generations... maybe the expressions in use by younger people today are misunderstood by some of us senior statesmen... the fact that the youngsters are taking up reefkeeping instead of hanging at the local "hang out" and taking up crack smoking says to me that they're already headed in a positive direction, so when one asks something why don't those of you that have POSITIVE information and encouragement say something and provide the guidance these people are looking for instead of offering up defeatist statements. Especially in THIS of all hobbies! C'mon people! There is not any one right way to do ANYTHING in this hobby! Every system and organism are different and we are a group of people with varying philosophies and budgets... so let's give these kids the same respect and latitude we give to each other and by golly some day one of 'em might just discover something IMPORTANT by accident because as mentors we taught them it was OK to think FREELY...

Everybody have a nice day!

reeferaddict
08-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Oh ya kids... MY SeaClone would beat YOUR SeaClone....

:wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :biggrin:

Der_Iron_Chef
08-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Couldn't agree more with you Brad and if ANYONE on this board is any kind of "guru" you are it...

In defense of the young people though, we DO tend to talk down to them I think in part because of the way they talk... much like the way WE talked different than our parents and previous generations... maybe the expressions in use by younger people today are misunderstood by some of us senior statesmen... the fact that the youngsters are taking up reefkeeping instead of hanging at the local "hang out" and taking up crack smoking says to me that they're already headed in a positive direction, so when one asks something why don't those of you that have POSITIVE information and encouragement say something and provide the guidance these people are looking for instead of offering up defeatist statements. Especially in THIS of all hobbies! C'mon people! There is not any one right way to do ANYTHING in this hobby! Every system and organism are different and we are a group of people with varying philosophies and budgets... so let's give these kids the same respect and latitude we give to each other and by golly some day one of 'em might just discover something IMPORTANT by accident because as mentors we taught them it was OK to think FREELY...

Everybody have a nice day!

Thank you for saying this. I work with kids every day who smoke crack and throw their lives away. I guess that's why I find the younger ones here to be refreshing. They're not, after all, throwing punches at me and telling me to go **** myself.

I'm a little disappointed in the community here, which I've come to respect and admire.

Doug
08-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Thanks guys for those last couple of posts. We need some of our members to back off here. If there is a problem the staff will deal with it.

Doug
08-04-2007, 02:49 PM

Also guys, please take note of Brad,s advice here. It would eliminate several of the arguments that crop up.

SuperFudge
08-04-2007, 03:03 PM
Hey, did i mention just how much i love you all ?

:wink:

Der_Iron_Chef
08-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Now I'm feelin' the love....:D

christyf5
08-04-2007, 03:22 PM
Superfudge saves the day once again :razz:

Doug
08-04-2007, 04:16 PM
:mrgreen:

Mik_101
08-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Oh ya kids... MY SeaClone would beat YOUR SeaClone....

:wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :biggrin:

Ha ha bring the spirit up on the thread. LOL

Mik_101
08-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Hey, did i mention just how much i love you all ?

:wink:

Thank:razz:

bv_reefer
08-04-2007, 05:58 PM
-fair enough Reef Raf

Captainhemo
08-04-2007, 07:44 PM
I got a remora pro for sale *hint* *hint*

Kris

Still for sale ? How much , will you ship ? PM me and let me know.

As for the rest of the thread, I think it is great that we have some younger people taking up the hobby. I also think it is great we have people here that are very experienced and are willing to give the younger, less experienced reefers the advice that will make the hobby more enjoyable for them.
Like it was mentioned above, we just need to remember that there is a "communication gap" betwen the different generations, there alsways will be. Just a little patience from everyone will go a long way.
It's cool that we have hobbys such as this that all age groups can enjoy together , very cool :D

reeferaddict
08-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Still for sale ? How much , will you ship ? PM me and let me know.

As for the rest of the thread, I think it is great that we have some younger people taking up the hobby. I also think it is great we have people here that are very experienced and are willing to give the younger, less experienced reefers the advice that will make the hobby more enjoyable for them.
Like it was mentioned above, we just need to remember that there is a "communication gap" betwen the different generations, there alsways will be. Just a little patience from everyone will go a long way.
It's cool that we have hobbys such as this that all age groups can enjoy together , very cool :D

Thank you all for your positive reinforcement - I knew there were a few good people left here - (Well, most of you actually - :mrgreen: )

I remember being involved with an astronomical society when I was about 9 or 10 years old and sitting in meetings that lasted until past 10 at night with a group of primarily "older" people. At the time I never sensed it, but a lot of the people showed up just to share my enthusiasm and mentor me. One time after I had received a substantial picture package from NASA I got to be the main speaker and make a 20 minute presentation to a group of about 40 people ranging from mill workers to physicists. The reception I received afterwards from a group of people that accepted me as their PEER was almost overwhelming. It was a terrific feeling to feel like "part of the group", even though I was their junior by at least 30 years. I am sharing this because we as a group have the ability to make these kids feel just as accepted as I did - and I welcome any opportunity in life that gives me the chance to give back what I once received.

Keep up the good work kids, and when you read a negative post from some grumpy old fart just remember that by the time you are their age, your tanks will kick royal butt all over theirs... OR their MOM's... haha :mrgreen: