PDA

View Full Version : that darn Reef_raf just keeps giving me ideas to try

StirCrazy
12-30-2002, 02:09 AM
well we were talking about the flow of the new Tunze today and it go me thinking about the desing to give a large lamaner gentle flow instead of a jet like I get from my maxi jets. So after a bit of thinking and a quick run to the hardware store this is what I came up with as a proto type.

http://members.shaw.ca/islandaquatics/Difuse_installed.jpg

it is over a inch shorter than using the difusers that come with the Maxi-jets and it does a much better job.. what I ended up with was a large colume of gently glowing water instead of a flesh ripping blast. at 1 foot away the flow was felt on every part of my streached hand evenly so it was a very big improvement. now I have it pointing directly at corals and it is enuf to move the polyps alot but not enuf to rip them appart. I am going to play with several different designs and when I have the final one done I will post the instructions. I want to play with hole sizes and such to make sure I am maximizing the flow out of the powerhead and not restricting it.

Steve

EmilyB
12-30-2002, 02:24 AM
They didn't make that in ABS obviously........ :P :lol:

Canadian Man
12-30-2002, 02:25 AM
Cool Idea!
I am suprised that it works though.
Wouldnt one think that the nozzle of the maxijet would just be inside the white pvc bits?
Therefore doing nothing to change the flow?

I am assuming that it is something diffrent Steve :D

StirCrazy
12-30-2002, 02:29 AM
Cool Idea!

I am assuming that it is something diffrent Steve :D

Asume right yes you do.. :wink: I will show all when the final design is done 8)

Steve

Canadian Man
12-30-2002, 02:30 AM
All right!
Wait I can't, excited I am :wink:

Dresden
12-30-2002, 04:45 AM
a cone within to spread the flow to the outter edges?

StirCrazy
12-30-2002, 05:02 AM
Dresden that was my original thought but suspending a cone would have been to hard.

Steve

Delphinus
12-30-2002, 05:34 AM
If you use something like a 1" to 2" bushing, it will likely already have that conical shape you're looking for...

Bryan
12-30-2002, 05:58 AM
You can also cut off the outlet of the maxi and shape the hole to a larger size.

StirCrazy
12-30-2002, 06:08 AM
Delphinus, ya that would be twice the size as what I have now, the problem being that without some sort of restriction or active difuser it would stay as a jet, and as for Bryan's idea.. ya I thought of this first but that still won't give the desired operation and it is a permanant mod (no going back) my idea was kinda to make it a slip on accessory.

I have a arangment of holes drilled in a blank on the inside to direct the flow of water through it to produce the pattern I want.. I am just playing with size of holes and the number of them to flow the same capacity as befor..

the idea is to make it so I can use a Maxijet 1200 in a small tank or real close to corals with out dammaging them.

Steve

reefburnaby
12-30-2002, 06:57 AM
Steve,

Yes, it works very well. I have had one working for over a year now. The only problem is that it is white and it takes time for coraline to cover it.

- Victor.

StirCrazy
12-30-2002, 07:16 AM
Steve,

The only problem is that it is white and it takes time for coraline to cover it.

- Victor.

ya about a week in a tank that operates on "normal principles" :wink:

Steve