PDA

View Full Version : switching over livestock

jordsy
08-03-2007, 02:10 AM
I am down grading from a 90 gal to a 50 gal. I am setting up the 50 gal first then transfering everything over. What should I do to make sure the 50 gal is ready? should i set it up with sand and just live rock for a few days to cure the water? I heard i should put some raw shrimp in the new water too.... or can i just put the fish in right away?
thanks for your time

digital-audiophile
08-03-2007, 03:40 AM
If you are using sand, rock and water from the 90 I would imagine you would see little to no new cycle at all. Perhaps keep your livestock in the 90 for a couple days after you get the 50 going just incase there is a chemistry problem?

Aquattro
08-03-2007, 04:27 AM
As above, I would just transfer everything into the new tank. Take a few hours and you're done. Going smaller means you don't even need extra water.

Palster
08-03-2007, 04:38 AM
Like they said you should see little or no cycle because the beneficial bacteria is already contained in the live rock and live sand that you are transferring over from the 90 gallon tank. I would even use the water from the 90 gallon which would save you from having to mix up a new batch of saltwater.