PDA

View Full Version : Euphyllia...QUESTION!

Der_Iron_Chef
08-03-2007, 12:04 AM
The all caps in the title was to get your attention :)

Just wanting some answers based ONLY on personal experience. Has anyone combined different Euphyllia in close proximity? Assuming that some will answer yes, what have been your results? Which coral, if any, was affected? Which retreated from which? Did one seem to be "hotter" than the rest?

The reason is: I'm hoping to move my torch and frogspawn next to each other.

Ideas. Thoughts. Musings. But only from personal experience, please!

digital-audiophile
08-03-2007, 12:09 AM
I used to have a hammer and a frogspawn in close quarters in a 30 gallon, neither of them ever extended their sweeper tentacles or exhibited violent behavior against each other. This was however only for about a three month timespan.

If you are moving them I woudl only suggest just keeping a close eye on them to see what happenes, hoepfully you could move them apart if any warfare starts.

ponokareefer
08-03-2007, 12:11 AM
I had frogspawn and a hammer coral close together in a 33 gallon tank as well, and after some time, I noticed that the frogspawn was killing the hammer coral from contact.

michika
08-03-2007, 12:23 AM
I did it in my 230g for quite some time. There was what seemed to be an unspoken boundary between them, both seemed aware that the other was there so they grew in the opposite directions.

There was never any stinging, or any sweepers. They were together in my 77g before the 230g, and then in the 90g. They were together for about 3 years with no ill effects.

marie
08-03-2007, 12:24 AM
I have 2 different colours of frogspawn and a hammer cuddled right up next to each other with no aggression at all.

My torch on the other hand hasn't played nice with anybody.It has sent out 10" long sweepers that took out 5 heads of my hammer coral and the whole underside of my hydnophora, all in one night

Der_Iron_Chef
08-03-2007, 12:26 AM
I have 2 different colours of frogspawn and a hammer cuddled right up next to each other with no aggression at all.

My torch on the other hand hasn't played nice with anybody.It has sent out 10" long sweepers that took out 5 heads of my hammer coral and the whole underside of my hydnophora, all in one night

Wow. Vicious! My torch has never sent out sweepers (to my knowledge).

marie
08-03-2007, 12:30 AM
Wow. Vicious! My torch has never sent out sweepers (to my knowledge).
A year ago I could of said the same thing about mine :razz:

Der_Iron_Chef
08-03-2007, 12:39 AM
LOL. Touché!

Rippin
08-03-2007, 12:50 AM

Funny - I have the exact same Euphyllia setup in my tank with no ill affects....as yet.

I wouldn't trust a torch coral, though.

justinl
08-03-2007, 02:15 AM
many have kept frogspawn and hammer in close proximity with success, but this isnt much surprise is it? torch and another of the previous two euphyllia (like frogspawn) would be a much different situation just because the torch is known to generally be far more aggressive than the others.

if you insist on it, i would give the torch plenty of space around it, at least until you can see how far its sweepers can extend.

fishoholic
08-03-2007, 05:18 AM
My two corals are on the same side of our tank, the torch is about 6" across from and about 2" up from our frogspawn and although the torch has very long (5-6") sweeper technicals (believe it or not it's been mistaken for an anemone by some experienced reefers) they have never fought. They are in a 120g and so far so good.