PDA

View Full Version : Baby fish in overflow

EmilyB
12-30-2002, 01:15 AM
Looks like some living inside my overflow - there's a couple in there, not even that young, in fact they might be from two separate batches. Overflow pipe is open at the top, so if they do the ride, they will be done for, through the pump and all. :(

I can't get a net down there....I maybe able to pull the pipe but the force of the water draining them down into a net or whatever might be too harsh I'm thinking. Or they may even end up still in there in the last inch or so of water.

Any ideas? I know it won't be the last time this happens likely. It's hard to just ignore the babies even though cardinals breed like rabbits.

Son Of Skyline
12-30-2002, 01:39 AM
One way I get fish out of my overflow is I use a pvc endcap that fits over the overflow tube and closes it. Then I flood the tank until the waterline is above the overflow, then i just chase the fish around with a stick until they go to the top and just swim out back into the tank. I'm not too sure if what I'm typing makes sense...but it works for me :)

EmilyB
12-30-2002, 01:49 AM
Yeah, that makes sense..... :)

However, I have this mesh on the tops of the overflows, they are too big to go back through now...and that whole mess eggcrate thing on the top of the overflow goes too high in the tank to allow me to fill over that.

If I can find a way to get them back in the tank, will the parents just kill them? :?

StirCrazy
12-30-2002, 02:10 AM
suck them out with a turkey baster :wink:

Steve

EmilyB
12-30-2002, 02:21 AM
They are too big already......

christyf5
12-30-2002, 04:14 AM
Can you siphon them out with a hose?? How big are they? We used to siphon sablefish larvae (up to 1 inch long) with a hose with no repercussions.

Christy :)

EmilyB
12-30-2002, 04:20 AM
Good suggestion Christy, I'll try that tomorrow....I have a python... 8)

Ok couldn't wait....tried twice. Real hard to maneuvre the hose in there........big canopy and deep overflow..got some bristleworms out tho...

Damn.