PDA

View Full Version : Green algae on live sand

likwid
08-02-2007, 01:32 AM
Hey guys,

I am running a 10g tank with a rio nano skimmer, AC HOB filter, and two powerheads in the tank. I have one clownfish and one Bicolor Pseudochromis. The tank has been active for 7 months now and I am having a hell of a time trying to eliminate the algae on my live sand. I have sugar sized live sand, and I keep getting a fine, bright green algae on it, which appear in clumps on the sand. I dont think it is hair algae, since it is very fine and sourrounds each grain of sand, making it green. I only feed 2-3 times a week with either flakes or mysis shrimp, and my light cycle is only around 8 hours a day. The sand bed is about an inch to an inch and a half deep, and I have tried stirring it, but the algae just reappears a few hours later. I have also tried syphoning during water changes, but it comes back a day or two later as well. I have tested for phosphates, and they are at 0. Currently I have 3 Astrea snails, 2 Cerith snails, 3 blue legged hermits, and 2 scarlet hermits. The Astreas stay buried in the sand and are useless on the surface of it, and the Ceriths just stay on the glass and rock. What can I do?

Redrover
08-02-2007, 01:50 AM
I would cut back time on lighting to 5 / 6hrs
Over feeding...Myself I would feed daily, but a very tiny amount
Weekly water change
Like dogboy said check your parameters...esp.nitrares

dogboy
08-02-2007, 01:57 AM
Are you sure your phos. test is working properly? The algae is feeding on something in your water... just a matter of figuring out what it is....

what are your other parameters?

likwid
08-02-2007, 02:02 AM
As far as I know the tests are accurate. The algae grows lightly on the glass, which I usually scrape off once or twice a week, but aside from that it only grows on the sand.

fishytime
08-02-2007, 02:09 AM
RO or tap?

likwid
08-02-2007, 03:08 AM
Ro

fishytime
08-02-2007, 03:56 AM
I was having a little cyano problem. I was using RO(store bought), and I switched to DI and now the cyano is slowly going away.

Mik_101
08-02-2007, 04:17 AM
I would make my lighting period about 5 hours a day.

bv_reefer
08-02-2007, 05:35 AM
-so for once DI was better than RO? now im starting 2 have second thoughts about using 5-gallon RO water from the store...

Mik_101
08-02-2007, 06:18 AM
-so for once DI was better than RO? now im starting 2 have second thoughts about using 5-gallon RO water from the store...

man di takes out most harsh metals:razz:

likwid
08-02-2007, 03:55 PM
No, I dont have any diatoms or cyano. Im thinking of adding a HOB Refugium.. Do you think this will stop the algae from growing?

Geofrog
08-02-2007, 06:01 PM
The refugium will help with the nutrient uptake by competeing with the algae. Have you considered getting a sandsifting gobie for the tank? They do a great job of keeping the sand clean as they turn over the sand fairly quickly.