PDA

View Full Version : tempting fate? adding another dwarf angel.

spikehs
08-01-2007, 02:59 PM
i currently have 2 angels in my 50gal (coral beauty, and a false lemon peel) I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I wont be able to have any sort of sps (although they have left my one frag alone... for now). How do you think I could maximize my chance for success in adding a flames angel? I figure if I get a really small one that'd be the best chance, and leave the lights off for a bit..

ponokareefer
08-01-2007, 03:54 PM
Each time I added an additional dwarf angel, the new one was always larger. I read, and was told that if the one in the current system is larger, it will kill the new one as they are somewhat territorial. I have had 3 dwarf angels in my system for about 4/5 years now and this strategy worked good for me.

michika
08-01-2007, 04:16 PM
When I add new fish I always ensure to change things up a bit. Changing rockwork disrupts the territory and lessens some aggression between new tankmates.

I've tried keeping the lights off before, and keeping them on, but I personally never found it impacted my new additions. Granted thsi is only my personal opinion, and I'm sure others have had a different experience with this.

Salmon King
08-01-2007, 04:17 PM
If you can catch the ones in your tank put them in a net pen for a few days when you add the new one.I have a 255 and I catch the dominent angel before I put a new one in.It works every time

dogboy
08-01-2007, 04:51 PM
How do you think I could maximize my chance for success in adding a flames angel?

Dwarf angels like lots of rock work so the more dwarf angels you have the more rock work you would need to keep them happy....A 50 gal dosent leave a lot of room for three territorial fish though...

When adding a new fish that may be at risk from other agressive fish to my system i rearange the rock work and then add the new fish at night, leaving them in the dark so that everyone is in a state of confusion not just the new arrival.... that has worked wonders for me.....

And i would always shoot for a large fish as opposed to a smaller one to help increase the chance that your new fish will have the "backbone" to stand up for himself if the need should arise....

Good luck.....

surgeonfish
08-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Salmon King
How do you catch all these fish in your tank before adding new fish? Do you have lots of LR?
Shane

Redrover
08-01-2007, 09:32 PM
I had a problem with my black tank going after a new addition [ regal angel ]
Marc [ SuperFudge ] suggest trying the mirror trick, that is to say hang a small mirror on the tank, all in all I had both tangs...flame angel..two damsels going after this mirror...kind of fun to watch...removed mirror after two days
All quiet on the home front !!!!

RJ

prodogg02
08-01-2007, 11:50 PM
i just added a flame to my 45 with a bicolor and coral beauty he got chased by the coral and my clownes for a few days but its all good now.even get along better now that i hav a 75 gal cause the 45 started leaking.i hav 3 tangs as well regal naso and a sail fin all small 3 inch except the regal is growin like a weed.its about 4.5 only the size of a toonie 2 months ago