PDA

View Full Version : T5's & clams

Melina
08-01-2007, 05:33 AM
Do you think I could keep clams under my 36" 6 x 39W T5's? I've got 4 10,000K daylights and 2 ATI blue plus actinics. My tank is 24" deep.

Mik_101
08-01-2007, 06:37 AM
Ive seen it done before.

Melina
08-01-2007, 07:01 AM
Ive seen it done before.

yeah? Did they do well?

Mik_101
08-01-2007, 07:03 AM
yah acctuley they did my friend has t'5s and grae colors(well not as nice as MH but still nice) considering you have the right water parlaments they should be happy campers.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Clams are best under metal halides. However, you have a very good T5 system so I would still keep them high up, but they should be ok under your lighting.

Derasa, Squamosa & Hippo clams are lower light requiring & your best choices. Maximas & Croceas are very high light clams so not so suited for that lighting system.

Is it a Tek or some other system with individual reflectors?

Mik, not to be rude but you just started & have not yet had any clams. It is probably better to wait till you have some hands-on experience before you give advice on a topic that might lead someone to make a decision that they will later regret. When people ask if things will do well, they are needing information about long term thriving, not a few weeks or a few months of surviving. We were all newbies at one time, and I think its great that you're so enthusiastic about this new hobby. But it's best if you slow down & enjoy the process. After you've tried out a few more things in this hobby, then you can post about your own experiences & speak with knowledge gained from what you've done. I know at 14 the future seems so far away, but with this hobby, time will pass quickly & soon you'll no longer be a newbie but one of the old-timers:wink: Peace.

Anthony

michika
08-01-2007, 03:01 PM
I highly recommend MH lighting for all clams.

I have a few of each type of clam, maxima, crocea, gigas, dersa, and I find they loose some of their color, and their growth slows under T5 lighting.

If you want more in depth clam information definitely try clamsdirect.com and take a look in thier forums. Since they only focus on clams, there is a lot of information and many resources to draw on.

Doug
08-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Great advice Anthony, on all counts. :smile:

Melina, I dont see why you could not keep a derasa or squamosa as mentioned, esp. with individual reflectors and running 6 bulbs.

Perhaps a crocea or maxima, but it would need to be higher up on the rock. You can purchase captive bred, small derasa,s all the time and that may be your best bet to start with.

Remember also, that squamosa & derasa clams can grow fairly large, so they need a spot to grow when first introduced and start attaching, if smaller clams.

Melina
08-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Yes it's a Tek fixture. Thanks for all the input guys. My tank isn't even set up yet but I'm already planning for what I want to keep. I don't plan to introduce any clams for at least a year, and I will go with one of the less light-hungry captive-bred ones. Any recommendations as to where I should purchase them? I'm in northern BC and will need to have them shipped to me.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Hidden Reef, OA & J&L all ship. Finding a clam (Derasa or Squamosa) is going to be the harder part.

Melina
08-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Are they not readily available?

Samw
08-31-2009, 10:13 PM
Just want to add my experience with T5 and Crocea Clams. I switched out my dual 150W DE MH lights 2 months ago and replaced it with a nice 5x39W T5 fixture in my 38G tank. I first lost my oldest (approx 6 years) Vietnam Crocea a couple of weeks ago. This week, I lost both of my Ultra Clams (approx 4 years). So sad. Not much has changed in the past 2 months in my tank other than the lighting. All other livestock are well and thriving.

bignose
08-31-2009, 11:50 PM
I have a Tek 6x54W and a crocea clam. The color has faded a bit but the clam is doing good. I've had it for 6 months now. Just changed my bulbs so I'm curious to see what happens to the coloring.

Ryan
09-01-2009, 12:15 AM
I keep a Crocea 24" deep in my tank. He has been in there for a couple months now with no issues.

Lighting is as follows 4-24W T5HO 2 KZ Fiji Purple, 1 Blue+, 1 ATI White Actinic. I would like to add another 10K and remove one of the Purples.

JPotter
09-01-2009, 03:33 AM
I have clams in my 30 gal with 4xT5. So far they seem content...well opened with good mantle exposure. I had one in my tank with halides and it shrunk away to nothing..there are aptaisia in the tank and I wondered if they irritated it. Anyway when I got others I put them in the T5 tank. What are early signs of them not thriving? If they decline I could move them to the halide tank.
I agree that success is based on the test of time and 5 months isn't much time:( They are laying down new rings of shell so I hope that is a good thing.

fishytime
09-01-2009, 12:18 PM
10 clams....maxima,crocea and derasa...... 2 36" 6 bulb teks over a 72" tank. I dont think my clams look at all unhealthy.....

Doug
09-01-2009, 12:39 PM
When looking after Mike,s old 120 with an 8 bulb fixture, I noticed the clams needed to be higher up to look good. Seemed to lack light on the bottom, which would have been about 30in. from the light hood.

Same in my 90g with a cheaper 6 bulb fixture. In both cases, clams like derasa & squamosa were fine on or near the bottom but not crocea or maxima,s