PDA

View Full Version : Lighting question

scsi
07-31-2007, 08:33 PM
I recently purchased a 77G tank and plan on setting up a small reef. A few fish, some cleaners and soft corals in about 6 months after adding the live rock. Tank is 22 inches deep to the substate floor.

I'm thinking of the Aqualight Pro 150 (2 X 150 watt MH, 2 X 96 watt Actinic , and 3 x 1 watt lunar lamps) Do you think this will be suitable for this size tank or will I be limited to what I can keep in the tank?

btw... I'm not using the supplied legs for the lights. I have the unit resting on the top of the tank which is fine I hear, as long as you keep the underside cleaned often.

MikeP
07-31-2007, 08:50 PM
Welcome to Canreef. Where in Canada are you? That sounds like a decent amount of light to me. What corals do you plan to start with?

fkshiu
07-31-2007, 10:01 PM
You are fine for softies, LPS and easier SPS. You are "limited" in the sense that you won't see the most out of acros, caps and other SPS and maxima/crocea clams.

You can have it sitting right on top of the tank, but cleaning becomes a real hassle really quickly because those Aqualights aren't exactly light or easy to manoeuvre by yourself. The best and most elegant method if you setup allows for it is a hanging kit from the ceiling where the unit can be raised and lowered like a set of venetian blinds.

Mik_101
07-31-2007, 10:47 PM
Welcome to canreef.

That that is deffenitly enough light for all softies and some sps like monties. BTW you can keep LPS too.

scsi
08-01-2007, 06:53 AM
Welcome to Canreef. Where in Canada are you? That sounds like a decent amount of light to me. What corals do you plan to start with?

I'm about 5 and a half hours north of you. I'm still mulling over my options with the coral selection. No rush... I have lots of time to decide what to start with.