PDA

View Full Version : Sargassum forest at Tony's request.

Canadian Man
12-29-2002, 06:32 AM
Well thanks to Alan for setting up a Pic page for me I can fulfill Tony's request to post pics of my refugium that he wanted me to post.
The sargasum(sorry about the spelling) came from Tony's tank and died the first time. I got some more from him and it was stagnant for a month or so and now it is growing at about 1/4" to 1/2" in a 24 hour period.
The calurpa has also started to grow for the first time.

For size refrence the refugium is a little over 1/3 of my 75g sump and is lit by a 175w metal halide pendant.

http://members.shaw.ca/reefs/canadian_man/post/DSC00570-1.JPG

EmilyB
12-29-2002, 07:07 AM
oh oh...Jon has the ability to post pics now........ :lol:

Canadian Man
12-29-2002, 07:32 AM
oh oh...Jon has the ability to post pics now........ :lol:

All you folks are going to be looking at pics day after day after day.hahaha :twisted:
Kidding of course. :wink:

ldzielak
12-29-2002, 09:45 PM
Jonathan,

You actualy want Sargasum? I had so much, on my live rock it took me months, to pluck it all out with tweasers. It's a weed in my tank. I read it also consumes calcium, so for me, it was not wanted.

Lee

Canadian Man
12-29-2002, 11:15 PM
Jonathan,

You actualy want Sargasum? I had so much, on my live rock it took me months, to pluck it all out with tweasers. It's a weed in my tank. I read it also consumes calcium, so for me, it was not wanted.

Lee

Lee, Yea I do want it if it's in my refugium...I wouldnt put this in my main tank. If it consumes calcium that's fine cause the reactor will make up for it no problem. I also had and kinda still have some small halamedia that also takes up calcium but if it's taking out some nutrients at the same time than I am happy.

Delphinus
12-29-2002, 11:48 PM
I have yet to see a pod pile that rivals a big ol' bunch of algae for housing various little critters.

I removed a 6" ball of valonia yesterday from my tank. I spent three hours breaking it into little pieces, and tweezering out worms, brittle stars, and copepods, and snails. I filled a 2 litre bucket many times over (lost count) full of the stuff I was saving from the big porcelain reef in the sky ... er ... bathroom.

Same story with the sargassum .... it's less insidious than caulerpa or valonia, looks nicer (I think), and seems to be total pod/brittle star/etc. farm.

So ... moral of the story is, I beleive it's not all bad, not all the time, anyways.

I just wish I didn't have all this crap in my main display tank. I remove pounds of it weekly. I can only give it away so many times before everyone I know has more than they want ... I don't have a refugium on this tank, probably won't ever because it won't fit in the overall scheme of things. Oh well.