PDA

View Full Version : A clam color comparison under diffrent lights.

Canadian Man
12-29-2002, 06:26 AM
Well here is a pic of a Dersa clam that I purchased off of EmilyB.
This pic is just after taking it out of the bag. This was on August 22/02 The color is quite purple with the golden stripes on the mantle.
Deb what light's did you have the clam under? If you can remember :wink:
http://members.shaw.ca/reefs/canadian_man/post/DSC00031-1.JPG

Here is the most recent pic of the same clam under 2, 250w Iwasaki's with 4 actinic bulbs. This pic is from Dec 10/02
http://members.shaw.ca/reefs/canadian_man/post/DSC00534-1.JPG

I thought I would post these compasision pics just to show how much the lighting had to do with the coloration of this clam.

Enjoy.

StirCrazy
12-29-2002, 06:28 AM
:shock: GASP... YOU BLEACHED A CLAM.. HOW COULD YOU!!!!!!! :shock:

:wink:

Steve

Canadian Man
12-29-2002, 06:33 AM
It was easy I just cut the top off the bottle and gave it a 2 minute dip.
Gotta get rid of those nasty parisites! :wink:

EmilyB
12-29-2002, 07:06 AM
Interesting Jon....

I have always kept the reef under 12kk, except for brief tries with more yellow bulbs.

Personally I like how it looks now ! :)

Canadian Man
12-29-2002, 07:31 AM
Interesting Jon....

I have always kept the reef under 12kk, except for brief tries with more yellow bulbs.

Personally I like how it looks now ! :)

Thanks! I was hoping you would think so. :D

Delphinus
12-29-2002, 11:55 PM
Not to knock your bulbs, Deb, but it's well known the Sunburst 12k's are more for aesthetics or blue accentuation rather than for putting out PAR. So it's natural for things to darken up as they grow more zooxanthellae to recover the same amount of energy as htey would from under more PAR. Iwasaki's put out the most PAR for the buck, so I'm not surprised the clam has a lighter look to it, it doesn't need as much zooxanthellae as it did before.

Just my theory anyways.

EmilyB
12-29-2002, 11:58 PM
Well aware of that Tony ! I love that blue.....maybe get some new ballasts one day if StirCrazy can make up his mind which ones are best...... :lol: