PDA

View Full Version : Enough with the deaths already!!

michika
07-29-2007, 12:19 AM
Unfortunately today we were forced to move out our larger system (http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32472) to a new location. I'm horribly sad to report that all but 4 of our fish died in the 15 minute trip to the new location.

We lost our Red Sea Sailfin tang, Yellow tang, One Spot foxface, all of our shoal of chromis, yellow damsel, Chevy the Chevron tang, and our imperator angel. The remaining fish, our regal tang, psychadelic mandarin, an ocellaris clown, and one of our yellow damels are now at the new location pending a decision on how to proceed. This is the second time in a week that we've experienced fish, and pet death, in two separate tanks.

I'm really sad, all these fish started out tiny and grew to be 4-7" in length. Many of these fish have been with us since we started the hobby so its hard to deal with. So today is another one of those "I hate this hobby" days.

Der_Iron_Chef
07-29-2007, 12:28 AM
Wow...that's staggering. I'm so sorry :(

fishoholic
07-29-2007, 12:44 AM
WOW that really sucks I feel very sad for you :sad:

michika
07-29-2007, 12:58 AM
I think I'm going to sell that system. The thought of restocking it right now is just really hard. Maybe just focus on my nano for awhile until I'm ready to try "big" fish again.

christyf5
07-29-2007, 02:37 AM
How horrible! I'm so sorry for your loss :neutral:

argileh
07-29-2007, 02:40 AM
Sorry for your loss...

Can you tell us about the move itself...what went wrong

michika
07-29-2007, 02:46 AM
I haven't a clue what went wrong. Like we normally do when we move we separate the fish from the corals, and the rock. Large fish, and small groups of smaller fish, are separated into 5g buckets, and they are the last things out of the tank, and the first into car.

We got to our destination and we opened all the buckets and they were just laying on the bottom. At first we thought they were playing dead, and then we realized that chromis don't play dead...

steva44
07-29-2007, 04:01 AM
Thats strange, we just moved my 110 gal into the new house and the fish were in a 5gal bucket for a good 4 hours, with the shrimp lobster and all! I just put the airstone in every once in a while for a short time and that was that. I think the mistake was taking the fish out last, I took the fish out before I even touched the liverock or disturbed the sand (which I believe let out a crap load of nitrates and trapped dead stuff) another advantage of taking the fish out first is you get to fill the bucket right away of clean same temp tank water.