PDA

View Full Version : 14K phoenix bulbs

Skimmerking
07-28-2007, 11:34 PM
I love these bulbs, however when I got them in Jan 07 from a reefer they had 2 months on them. now its going on 9 months on them now with the 2 months added on. the color is still going good IMO, How long are they actually good for. they have been going on at 2pm til 8 pm for a total of 7 hrs per day

bv_reefer
07-31-2007, 01:49 AM
-I've heard that for max. efficiency u shud change them every 10 months
but then u absolutely have 2 take into consideration lighting schedule, for me it's only 5-7 hours a day, but if u have sps corals then ur probably @ about
8+ hours/day so that cud reduce the bulbs span 2 only 6-8 months-mind you bigger bulbs (in wattage) tend to last longer, so good luck with that-

littlesilvermax
07-31-2007, 01:55 AM
I ran me 14k pheonix bulbs (250 watt DE) for 14 months and they worked great, in fact I might stick them back in again, they held up much better then my reeflux 12ks. I use them for 6 hrs a day.

bv_reefer
07-31-2007, 02:24 AM
-right now i got 2-70 watt-20k's and i'm happy with em' and all but hows the color with ur 14k's? i heard they give a nice purple tint-

Skimmerking
07-31-2007, 02:49 AM
my 14 K phoenix bulbs still hae great color. I head over to Afghanistan in Jan 08 so I will probably switch them in Nov when I get back from Wain wright after our confirmation exercise. to my megachrome 20K and when I get back Im going to buy another 2 sets of 14 Phoenix

StirCrazy
07-31-2007, 03:20 AM
there good untill you decide to change them. don't let store propaganda of 10 month changes push you into a sale. these same stores said change them ever 6 months 4 years ago, when people started noticing after 1 year they only lost 10% of the out put the stors looked silly so they all bumped it up to 8 to 12 month recomendation. I ran my AB's 18 months and there was only a 9% decrease in PAR output, but I concider AB's the cream of the cream in the bulb world.

Steve

marie
07-31-2007, 03:27 AM
from a study i read somewhere, par drops fairly quickly over the first few months and then levels out a bit and drops much more slowly.

The guy doing the study had accidentely left one of the old bulbs in and had thrown the new one out. While the par was much lower initially then the new ones, by the time the year was up all 3 bulbs were fairly close even though the old bulb was 2 years old.:mrgreen:

RuGlu6
05-21-2011, 10:01 AM
I keep my bulbs for at least 2 years. some are 3 years old now. SPS are still growing and have nice color.

viperfish
05-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Here is an interesting article on bulb life using the Phoenix bulbs as the test subject http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/ac/index.php. This guy claims a Metal halide bulb loses about 25% of its output at three to four months and at 18 months it is still at 70% of its initial output. So if a person is not going to change their bulbs every 4 months they are just as well to leave them in for a year and a half.

whatcaneyedo
05-21-2011, 05:32 PM
I remember that article and was going to post it. Its probably the reason why I've been using Phoenix for the last 3 years. I place them over my display for 12 months at 7-8 hours a day and then over my frag tank for another 5-6 months. After about a year and a half I often get some cyano appearing under the old bulb. Whether the change in spectrum and intensity causes it or if its just coincidence I'm not sure. I guess its worth mentioning too that I use HQI ballasts which don't seem to be available anymore. According to my Apex controller the electricity they draw is actually more like 360W each.

viperfish
05-21-2011, 06:50 PM
I remember that article and was going to post it. Its probably the reason why I've been using Phoenix for the last 3 years. I place them over my display for 12 months at 7-8 hours a day and then over my frag tank for another 5-6 months. After about a year and a half I often get some cyano appearing under the old bulb. Whether the change in spectrum and intensity causes it or if its just coincidence I'm not sure. I guess its worth mentioning too that I use HQI ballasts which don't seem to be available anymore. According to my Apex controller the electricity they draw is actually more like 360W each.

You got my curiosity going so I checked my Apex, I'm drawing 288 watts each on mine, they are HQI also. That's some kind of power you're pumping out of those things!

Myka
05-22-2011, 12:42 AM
Doodskis, this thread is 4 years old! :D Good subject though.

whatcaneyedo
05-22-2011, 01:11 AM
I'd rather see an old thread brought back than a new one started about the same subject any day.

RuGlu6
05-22-2011, 02:04 AM
You got my curiosity going so I checked my Apex, I'm drawing 288 watts each on mine, they are HQI also. That's some kind of power you're pumping out of those things!

What wattage your bulbs are? 250W?

viperfish
05-22-2011, 02:32 AM
What wattage your bulbs are? 250W?

Correct, 250. DE bulbs are know to draw higher than the rated wattage.

whatcaneyedo
05-22-2011, 02:38 AM
Do you have a true magnestic ballast or are you using a select-a-watt electronic ballast? Mine are magnetic, I've got a dual ballast from Sunlight Supply and a single from Hamilton. I may actually be higher than what I said before. Just now I shut off everything on the powerbar except the hamilton and it was 3.3 amps for that light alone. If watts = amps x volts I guess thats 396W unless I understand that wrong.

viperfish
05-22-2011, 03:10 AM
Do you have a true magnestic ballast or are you using a select-a-watt electronic ballast? Mine are magnetic, I've got a dual ballast from Sunlight Supply and a single from Hamilton. I may actually be higher than what I said before. Just now I shut off everything on the powerbar except the hamilton and it was 3.3 amps for that light alone. If watts = amps x volts I guess thats 396W unless I understand that wrong.

Mine is an Aqua Medic dual ballast, not electronic. I did the same as you and I was at 4.8 Amps for both.

lastlight
05-22-2011, 03:13 AM
4.8 for two? Doesn't sound like M80? The 3.3 sounds bang on.

viperfish
05-22-2011, 03:28 AM
4.8 for two? Doesn't sound like M80? The 3.3 sounds bang on.

It certainly is. It's the Aqua Medic M ballast, made by Tridonic in Germany for Aqua Medic.

lastlight
05-22-2011, 03:47 AM
Is it somehow more efficient? you'd think it'd be closer to 2 x 3.3?

viperfish
05-22-2011, 04:55 AM
That would put the wattage at 396 watts, I've read a Phoenix 14K on an M80 should be around 310 watts. All I'm saying is what I read on the Apex.

whatcaneyedo
05-22-2011, 04:58 AM
I just did the same thing with my dual ballast. I shut everything else off to see what it was drawing and I got 6.2 amps. I always thought ballasts would be more consistent. Maybe this topic deserves its own thread?

viperfish
05-22-2011, 05:02 AM
Very interesting. I have another controller, maybe tomorrow I'll test it out and see what it reads.

lastlight
05-22-2011, 06:45 AM
It's a 4-year old thread I don't see the harm lol...

viperfish
05-22-2011, 02:51 PM
True, it is old but the amazing thing is there is not a whole bunch of discussions around it online. Sanjay Joshi seems to be the only one that has done any extensive research, he has published some really good articles. If you check other forums, there is mention of it but they don't go anywhere. I guess it's not as cool as the new LED trend, but overdriving MH bulbs with magnetic ballasts is interesting nonetheless.

lastlight
05-22-2011, 03:48 PM
In the case of some bulbs such as the radiums I run they fire to spec on hqi ballasts and aren't actually over driven. Not exactly going green using these ballasts but I love the output

StirCrazy
05-22-2011, 04:35 PM
hmmm.. I was wondering why I saw a subscribed post I didn't remember reciently LOL

a M80 ballast (true magnetic M80) which is only made by Advance transformers (north american company) should be pulling around 400 watts with a 250 watt SE bulb a little less with a DE bulb, at 310 watts I would say they put a M80 starter and capacitor on a pulse start ballast and used that. will be a little lower output this way (well a fair bit actualy) I am not saying thats what they did but I have seen that done. the other thing I saw once was a european ballast converted to NA voltage (easy to do) this gives different out put as they are not a HQI ballast but are simular.

Steve

lastlight
05-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Not to mention Philips doesn't produce them anymore. Really makes me wonder what those new aquamedics have inside them.

viperfish
05-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Might be time to pull out the screwdriver! Actually the newest AM ballast is the reflex cube, they are magnetic and manufactured in the USA but I don't know who makes them for AM. The one I am using is the Oceanballast dual 250.

From what I have been reading on RC it seems like the Bluewave 7 or Hamilton ballasts are the only way to get this true M80 ballast (PFO is out of business but worth a mention I guess), please correct me if I'm wrong.

lastlight
05-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Sunlight Supply no longer make the BlueWave ballasts. I think there might be a few vendors with some Hamiltons kicking around but I looked high and low and found no PFO or SLS. I paid a very pretty penny as a last-ditch effort to obtain one when a grow store in the US seemed to have a BlueWave. After paying a fortune to have the thing shipped here I was later notified they haven't got any and was refunded. Buying used if you can find them is pretty much the only option. I was considering the cube ballasts but was hesitant as I wanted a genuine M80. I've now got 5 x M80 just in case lol. I plan to use 4 over the big tank.

viperfish
05-22-2011, 07:01 PM
It was driving me nut thinking about what's inside the box so I grabbed the screwdriver and opened that sucker up.

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad292/roskinner/IMG_1936.jpg

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad292/roskinner/IMG_1933.jpg

It turns out StirCrazy was right, it is a pulse start ballast (Huaquan) with capacitor (Electronicon) and M80 starter (Arrancador). I went online and dug up the specs on this ballast and voila, there it was. The Apex was right according to this chart.

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad292/roskinner/FoshanHUAQUANlightingCOLTD-MozillaFirefox5222011124313PM.jpg