PDA

View Full Version : Anenome & Clown Question

Jenndarlin
07-28-2007, 08:23 PM
I have a 7 month old clown fish (ocellaris) sp?? and a fairly new beautiful white w/ neon green tips anenome. I"m having a hard time getting the anenome to stay put and I've heard about and seen one anenome attach and stay if they are being hosted in by a clown. My clown is currently decided that he wants to host in the condylactis or underneath it (sp?)

Any suggestion for getting my clown to take to the anenome. I have a 60 Gallon display without a sump so it's not easy to keep him and the anenome "segregated" in a small area. I was thinking I could move the rock the anenome's on and the clown into a large bucket for a few hours or take the condylactis out and put it in my pre-mixed salt water bucket and put the anenome where the condylactis was????

opinions????

Thanx
Jenn

P.S. Can someone tell me how to get the little aquarium month ticker on my profile.

Der_Iron_Chef
07-28-2007, 08:26 PM
I've never heard of a way to force a clown to host. Some host in powerheads, some in veggie clips. Mine hosts in everything, unfortunately, lol.

A word of caution, though, I don't think that any anemones are naturally white. You probably have a bleached specimen on your hands. You should feed it regularly in order to bring it back to full health.

P.S. For your ticker question: http://www.tickerfactory.com/ezticker/ticker_designer.php

MikeP
07-28-2007, 09:51 PM
IME clowns will host whatever they feel like. Mine has hosted in my GSP, green hairy mushrooms and frogspawn. He was in my small GBTA for a little bit but then moved into the frogsawn (I think because the GBTA is still pretty small). My clown also hosted nothing for the first 6 weeks in the tank. Be patient he will host when he wants to. But if this is the anemone you have it doesn't sound like it's hostable anyway.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=630

HTH

steva44
07-28-2007, 10:18 PM
let the anemone settle down a bit and get confortable. Usually it only moves if it is not happy with the water lighting etc. also, it should be neon green throughout not white. Just feed it and let it find its own groove.

Moogled
07-28-2007, 10:30 PM
Mike's right. They'll host from anything to Featherdusters to Anemones.

Personally, I think it's really cute and interesting to look at, but they also get very territorial when your hand is in the tank. I could use without the harrassment and biting of my hand when I'm close to their brain coral trying to do some maintenance.

Jenndarlin
07-28-2007, 11:26 PM
Thanx all. I guess this is just part of the hobby. Just because I want my clown to host in the Anenome doesn't mean he wants to.

I don't think it was doing very well for a while but has perked up in the last week, the tips are going more and more neon green but I didn't know that it wasn't supposed to be really white and the bottom portions of the tenticles are white. Seems to be eating alot but I'm only feeding every 3 days?? Is this enough?? I'm feeding about a 1/4 cube of mysis each feeding.

Thanx
Jenn

steva44
07-29-2007, 03:45 AM
Maybe a little too frequent..... I am not sure; I personally feed both of mine every week, sometimes longer. They seem to be happy and are both big
10+" I just feed mine with store bought shrimp that has been vitamin infused.

untamed
07-29-2007, 05:48 AM
I had my clown for nearly 2 years before he decided to move into my carpet anemone. Just be patient.