PDA

View Full Version : 120g planted aquarium

kwirky
07-28-2007, 07:42 PM
This is a youtube video of my reef aquarium converted to a planted aquarium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q39Y1Z9VscY

it 120g 48x24x24, uses pressurized CO2, T5 teklights (daylight and red growlights), and an XP3. Flourite substrate. Regular nitrate dosing, along with micronutrients and trace nutrients weekly.

Figured I'd post it here because this is the community that got me into aquariums the way I am now.

pandafishowner
07-28-2007, 08:29 PM
niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice tank! :biggrin:

I saw a betta in there... but what are the other fish?

what kind of plants are in there?

kwirky
07-28-2007, 08:45 PM
niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice tank! :biggrin:

I saw a betta in there... but what are the other fish?

what kind of plants are in there?

there are 36 danios, 5 flying fox SAE's, and a beta. The beta used to be my sister's. I "saved" it from it's bowl, and put it in the big tank on the first day it was running. It coloured up quite well in the matter of a week. It's quite happy in there, I'd have to say.

Beta bowls are cruel :(

I plan on getting some catfish to swim amongst the plants, and maybe some middle region fish, like tetras or cardinals or something.

Der_Iron_Chef
07-28-2007, 09:21 PM
That looks really good, Sean!

albert_dao
07-28-2007, 11:01 PM
I take it the powerhead did the trick Sean?

clk55
07-29-2007, 12:03 AM
hi may i ask what you are using for your co2 injection? i too am starting up a planted tank for discus. i have yet to purchase my co2 system because i am trying to research what i should use for diffusing. thanks

digital-audiophile
07-29-2007, 12:05 AM
Where are the live rocks, and sand? That's not a real tank ;) :p

kwirky
07-29-2007, 07:03 AM
hi may i ask what you are using for your co2 injection? i too am starting up a planted tank for discus. i have yet to purchase my co2 system because i am trying to research what i should use for diffusing. thanks

I got the CO2 tank from the recharge center here in calgary. The regulator/solenoid/needlevalve combo came from J&L, along with the milwaukee meter. The CO2's set up so it's on the controller, AND it won't turn on while the lights are off. I think there was trouble with there being low oxygen at night.

ATM I'm using a DIY diffuser. It's a gravel vac hooked up to a maxijet with a hole drilled into the vac for the CO2 line in. I should really put an airstone on it, but I've been too lazy. I crammed a length of 1.5" pipe onto the gravel vac to make it a little longer. The CO2 diffusers in the industry aren't that great.

It's not QUITE doing the job to diffuse the CO2 for such a heavy plant load, but it's functional ok ATM.