PDA

View Full Version : 6 is good 12 is better?

rossb
12-29-2002, 12:43 AM
line wrasses...of course. I was at riverside and have my name on 2 6 line wrasses. would 2 co-exist in a 180 galon tank?

Doug
12-29-2002, 12:43 PM
I have a pair in my 225. They never leave each others side. However, I had an original one. I then added a pair. My established wrasse, accepted the smaller of the two, but was out to chase away the larger. It was removed and the other two remain a pair.

I also have a spotted leopard wrasse that lives in there also. All get along well. I removed the larger leopard when adding the six lines and then re-established the leopard after.

Bob I
12-29-2002, 04:12 PM
line wrasses...of course. I was at riverside and have my name on 2 6 line wrasses. would 2 co-exist in a 180 galon tank?

Do those fish look funny swimming around with those little name tags on them :?: :?: Could we have a picture :?: :?:

rossb
12-29-2002, 04:28 PM
It was dang tricky getting the name to stick but we eventually did. Is there a proper paint to use when naming fish?

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/rossb/rossb.jpg

BCOrchidGuy
12-29-2002, 04:35 PM
The LFS around the corner keeps them together in display tanks so I don't see why it would be a problem, I'm thinking about getting a second one for my 72.

reefburnaby
12-29-2002, 06:27 PM
Hi,

How long have you had your tank running ? These fish tend to do better with established tanks (>1 yr) since they like pods more than anything else. They are similar to Mandarins (pod killers) , but they sometimes take regular food. I am not sure what the current success rate of 6 line wrasses are these days (everything keeps changing very quickly these days), but I seem to recall that it was a real hit and miss with these buggers. Maybe I am wrong, but it worth checking on a larger board like RC.

- Victor.

Bob I
12-29-2002, 09:32 PM
The LFS around the corner keeps them together in display tanks so I don't see why it would be a problem, I'm thinking about getting a second one for my 72.

It is generally not advised to assume behavior in a dealer's tank will be the same in your home tank. It is best to use known behavior as a guideline.

rossb
12-29-2002, 09:45 PM
reefbby...
The tank has been going for 2 months. I have had live rock and sand in it for 6 weeks and chemically it is OK. Ammonia and nitrites and very low now and nitrates are stable at around 12 Mg/l. I have 5 small damsel fish and a few cleaner shrimp which seem to be doing well. I set this tank up for my wife and she is picking the fish that go in it. My concern is more for the fish...so if it looks like I should wait....well then I will. There are always more shipments of fish...

I also was looking at a couple of clowns and a coral beauty angle fish. I have been talked out of two purple pseudochromas. Would it be a better idea to pass on these? All of them??

Doug
12-29-2002, 10:18 PM
Mine love brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, some calerpa and even share the algae sheets on the clips with the tangs.

As mentioned they do better in a mature tank. Seeing them eat in the store would be a good sign. They should have an abundance of live rock to pick from and hide in. They love to swim in and out of the rock and are more out going if they have it near. Unlike some other wrasse,s such as my leopard, they do not bury in the sandbed, but sleep in small hideouts in liverock.

Should also be know, they can at anytime, turn to bullies.

Mak
12-29-2002, 11:44 PM
I'd probably wait a bit for the 2 6-lines. Also instead of the two Psuedochromis I would try a couple of Purple Firefish. They're really cool little fish.

rossb
12-29-2002, 11:59 PM
Ok I'll scratch the two six lines, the pseudo's ... which leaves me with a couple of percula clowns and a coral beauty. So how about a brittle star or an anemone for the clowns?

The girl is paying here..and it's like a one time offer :lol:

Delphinus
12-30-2002, 12:01 AM
Anemones, and particularly recently-wild-collected specimens, don't tend to do well in young tanks ... I'd hold off on the anemone for a few more months if you can stand the wait!

rossb
12-30-2002, 12:11 AM
OK..scratch that one...how about the brittle star...it is like 5 inches across...how are they...any other reefish fishes .... one might recommend?

Mak
12-30-2002, 12:27 AM
OK..scratch that one...how about the brittle star...it is like 5 inches across...how are they...any other reefish fishes .... one might recommend?

Keep the Brittle Star(especially if it's Green) fed very well or he'll start munch'n on fish and or Shrimp. Mine ate 3 very healty, almost 3" Blue Star Damsels.

EmilyB
12-30-2002, 12:28 AM
don't get a green one........ :shock:

Awesome brittlestar site (http://home.att.net/~ophiuroid/html/main.html)

rossb
12-30-2002, 12:48 AM
Its a black one...would that be bad? I was trying to fine out a bit about them but have not been able to find any good information.

EmilyB
12-30-2002, 12:51 AM
I had a black one and a black serpent star...I gave them to Mitch. I can't remember why really, likely because I was putting the trigger in there I think. Maybe he has some input. (Mitch, not the trigger.... :lol: )

Bob I
12-30-2002, 02:23 AM
I'd probably wait a bit for the 2 6-lines. Also instead of the two Psuedochromis I would try a couple of Purple Firefish. They're really cool little fish.

I don't know, but I am afraid they would get lost in a big tank like that. Especially, because they are small, and quiet fish. They are also horrendously expensive here. Might I suggest a small Regal Tang? Although i am not usually a Tang fan, I have had good success with one. 8) 8)

Or even (he said with tongue firmly in cheek) a nice little group of Anthias :?:

Mak
12-30-2002, 03:44 AM
I think the Firefish would probably come out more in a 180g... well unless they have a really nice spot where they like to call home. But at the time I wrote that reply I forgot that he had 5 Damsels :evil: . So yes they would probably never come out. :roll: