PDA

View Full Version : Andrew!

christyf5
01-18-2002, 06:02 PM
Hey Andrew,
I was just wondering how your nudibranchs from J&L were doing on the hair algae in your tank. I had a big algae picking party last night in my tank and I don't know if it looks better or worse. I'm getting quite frustrated and am looking at adding some if they work.

Christy images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

canadawest
01-18-2002, 07:12 PM
Unfortunately I've lost both of mine. One dissapeared about 3 days after introduction, the other slowly wilted away and died about 7 days later.

I'm not sure if it was acclimation, or lack of food. They seemed to be active all day moving all over the tank and eating, but for some reason didn't make it long in my tank.

J&L still has a few, so perhaps it was me?

DJ88
01-18-2002, 07:16 PM
Christy,

Of the two I bought there is one left munching it's way around the tank happily. The other just disappeared.

christyf5
01-18-2002, 07:56 PM
Well damn. I need one of those happy munching types not the disappearing death types. Andrew did you notice any ill effects from the deaths of yours? (besides the eew grossness of a slimy dead critter). I'm a little leery of adding another nudibranch after the last episode with the evil, tank toxifying, coral wilting, PITA one I had. Although I guess these ones would be less toxic as they are less brilliantly colored (and a different species) than the one I had.

Christy images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ruck'n'reefer
01-18-2002, 09:27 PM
Mine seems to be eating. I have had him a week, it has spawned/ spewed stuff on my glass twice.

Seems pretty healthy. Still only a week though.

canadawest
01-18-2002, 10:02 PM
Mine both spawned days after introduction, and seemed to be happy, until the dissapearance.

As for ill effects, well I have enough cleaners (aka Pulp Fiction) that there is no trace of death in my tank. Between the hermits, shrimp, snails, copepods, amphipods and bristle worms nothing deceased ever lasts long in my tank.

I've also had the mysterious dissapearance of one of my Green Chromis too! I used to have 5 in the tank, now there are only 4. No body has been recovered. Hmmmm.....

Troy F
01-18-2002, 10:59 PM
I thought this was better off in the reef forum.

christyf5
01-18-2002, 11:06 PM
Thanks Troy, I wasn't quite sure where it belonged.

Gordoe
01-18-2002, 11:15 PM
Hi Christy,

out of curiosty, how much dust/sediment do you have on your rocks?

i've noticed that I have alot of sediment, and that's where the hair algae seems to grow quickest.

Just trying to figure out this cursed green!!!

tanks
Gord

christyf5
01-19-2002, 12:20 AM
I seem to have some sediment on some rocks but not alot. I discovered that my powerheads weren't quite so powerful as they were when I first bought them (one was barely working) so I soaked them in vinegar. They still aren't at their full strength and I need to get at least one more and maybe replace the crappy ones (anyone know how to take apart a hagen pro3 powerhead to clean it??). That is probly the source of my problem though. I can understand why some reefers give up when they have hair algae. I'm getting pretty close. I spent 3.5 hours pulling algae last night. I don't know how many more nights I can do of that without getting too frustrated. Its everywhere and there is another type of algae growing on the sandbed as well that causes it to clump and when I try to remove it I lose the top layer of sandbed. I look at everyones tanks and their sandbed is sparkling white and I wonder what I'm doing wrong. I dont' think mine has been white since I put it in! I never really liked algae but now I hate it!

Shadetree
01-19-2002, 01:07 AM
Christy,

Hang in there, the hair algae could be from many different sources. Make sure your alk is high enough and patience. Here is a pic of my tank during the hair algae stage at about 7-8 months. Look in the background behind the mandarin. I just raised my alk to proper levels, minimized feeding, kept the skimmer really clean and waited it out, I did not pull out much by hand.
http://www.shadetree.homestead.com/files/mandarin101.jpg

Scott

pocilipora
01-19-2002, 01:16 AM
My nudi also died on its third day?

Troy F
01-19-2002, 01:53 AM
Christy, I feel for you. How old is the tank? Is it possible you are going through an algae cycle? Somewhere you have more nutrients coming in than are being exported.

The things I'd look at are feedings, protein skimming, water source and circulation. Keep your skimmer clean (everyday for the next while), cut back on feedings, remove what you can of the algae (your fish will be fine), test your source water and do some water changes. A phosphate remover may be an idea. You may have to increase your clean-up crew and consider adding a conch or maybe a urchin if the problem persists (I have no experience with either but have heard positive things). Dale said he'd had some luck with a bi-colour blenny Ecsenius bicolor and microalgae. Don't give up.

Troy F
01-19-2002, 01:55 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Shadetree:
...I did not pull out much by hand.
Scott<hr></blockquote>

That's because he can't reach it without scuba gear. images/smiles/icon_razz.gif images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Reefmaster
01-19-2002, 02:41 AM
hi christy
we could give you a bunch of macro algae next time you're down to compete with the hair algae. might help suck up some of the nutrients. shane

reefburnaby
01-19-2002, 04:19 AM
Hi,

You may want to reduce photo time - something like 6 hours or even 4.

- Victor.

canadawest
01-19-2002, 05:34 PM
Pssstt... Save some of that macro algae for me!! images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Silverfish
01-19-2002, 06:13 PM
Christy, my brother had a really bad, forest-like hair algae problem in his trigger tank. I picked up about 15 snails for him from J&L (astreia and cerith) and they wiped it out in a couple of weeks... till the trigger picked em off that is! images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

It worked really well for him.. but who knows.. each tank is different, right?

Reefmaster
01-20-2002, 03:08 PM
done deal andrew, do you want that delivered in a yogurt container, an ice cream bucket, a 5 gallon bucket, or should i just load up the truck? images/smiles/icon_eek.gif i'll be over first week in feb unless one of the vic guys wants to bring it over for you at the meeting. i won't be at this one. shane

canadawest
01-20-2002, 05:31 PM
Hey Shane, thanks for the generosity. If things work out with the reflectors coming over from the Island, perhaps a bag of Caulerpa can make the trip over as well?

If not, then you and I will make arrangements to get together when you're over in Feb.

Reefmaster
01-20-2002, 09:10 PM
no prob either way. most of it is halimeda, but a few other types too.

christyf5
01-20-2002, 11:56 PM
Hey guys

My 29G tank was up for about 6 months and for about 4 of that it was hair algae city. I moved everything over to the 48G then scrubbed everything before the move. Now I am assuming (perhaps incorrectly, you know what they say about assumptions.... sometimes they're wrong images/smiles/icon_razz.gif ) that moving my tank may generate a small cycle due to disruption of my sand bed but other than that all I was really doing was increasing the water volume. Everything was fine and looking fabulous (ooh the white white sandbed) and I decided to increase my alkalinity (this was in december, 2 months after the move). Then introduced a nudibranch (which died and wreaked some havoc upon death). I don't know if the combo did the deal or what (yes I know algae doesn't like increased alkalinity but I think I have a mutant kind) but its hair algae city all over the rocks and some other light brown grossness on the sand. I've reduced feedings, reduced the photoperiod (I'll probly try reducing it again but my leather coral is one PO'ed dude, anyone have any info on the amount of light these guys like??), protein skimmer skims some gross green stuff about 1/2 cup every 5-7 days or so. Algae removal: Worked well but killed my anthias somehow. It had a major conniption appeared to contract lockjaw and died in the space of about 2 mins so don't know what happened there (he had rather delicate sensibilities anyway) . Water test: everything negative (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) I don't have a phosphate tester (on the list of stuff to buy) but I assume that what phosphate there is in the water is tied up by the algae (I use RO/DI for topoff water and pasteurized seawater for water changes). Clean up crew: damn hermit crabs have developed a taste for snails. Why dine on crappy algae when you can have escargot?? I'm due for another load of snails the next time I can make it over (I'm not paying $3.49 a snail on the island when its just hermit fodder). I have a lawnmower blenny that is as fat as a cow and eats all the time but just can't keep up with the crap. Macro algae: right now I have 3 different kinds of caulerpa appearing in my tank (feather,razor,grape), not in huge amounts but starting to grow. I also have a big patch of halimeda which, of course, is covered with algae (surprise, surprise). I don't think its hair algae but quite frankly it is disgusting. Its brown and slimy and gross. And it has alot of bubbles in it. I think Right now I am trying to focus on water circulation and filtration. I need about 25lbs more of live rock and get rid of the crappy hagen powerheads that right now are probably more for show at the moment than functionality.

Other than that things are just peachy images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Hey Scott,
when you say you kept your skimmer really clean, what did you mean by that? Did you have algae growing in there too? I do apparently. I just looked at it. At least I'm good at something eh? images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

[ 20 January 2002: Message edited by: christyf5 ]</p>

Dolf
01-21-2002, 01:55 PM
I may or may not have the answer of your disappearing nudibranchs as I have not seen what they look like at J&L. On Dr Rons board they were talking about a creature commonly called a lettuce nudibranch that is actually a sacoglossan slug. According to the good Dr. once they lay eggs they will stop eating as much and die. Sorry about the news if that was what they were. The thread can be found here (http://http://). I know that they are for sale here in Calgary and the fact that they can store sperm for a few months lay eggs and then die on me has made me decide to avoid them.

-Danny

DJ88
01-21-2002, 02:01 PM
Dan,

They are the slugs not nudibranchs. I mentioned it in an earlier thread on the board. Thanks for bringing it up again tho. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

canadawest
01-22-2002, 06:12 AM
And it would seem that is exactly what happened to the two I bought.

Found two seperate patches of eggs from the little guys, and withing days each withered and dissapeared.

Too bad we weren't armed with the info before dropping $12.95 each for them!

(Man that pi$$es me off)

DJ88
01-22-2002, 02:04 PM
Andrew,

You probably could have looked that info up before buying them. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif I hope you aren't ****ed at the store for selling them to you.

I made sure they were infact the type of slug that ate bryopsis. A little bit o reading can save ya in the long run remember.

[ 22 January 2002: Message edited by: DJ88 ]</p>