PDA

View Full Version : who has success?

Melina
07-27-2007, 07:21 AM
I've been reading some old threads about why people get out of the hobby & sell all their stuff. It seems a lot of people run into problems with their tanks and give up. As someone who is just about to start, I would like to hear something positive. Are there people out there who set up a tank and have enjoyed success? I know it's an expensive hobby. I know there will be a lot of challenges. But I need to hear that it's worth it, and what lies ahead of me is more than just frustration, desperation and hopeless surrender. Are there people out there who have stuck with the hobby for years and have maintained and enjoyed healthy tanks? I need to hear from you!

albert_dao
07-27-2007, 07:30 AM
Some Canreefers I can think of who've maintained gorgeous tanks for years:

Snappy
Fudge
Me (kind of, tank at the back of the store has been running for well over two years now)
Sprinter (don't even know how old Al's tank is, but carbon dating should give a fairly accurate estimation)
Clubreef has had his tank for little over a year now and I don't see any chance of it going south barring a remote disaster
I believe Beverly had her tanks running for a while before she shut them down to pursue a different direction in her life; they were very nice

I'm sure other's will chime in. What it boils down to, though, is your access to information, patience, discipline and planning.

Chaloupa
07-27-2007, 07:40 AM
I've had my 65g reef up since October of 2004, it did have it's ups and downs for the first 6 months but it is the easiest tank to care for and is gorgeous now....maintenance is simple on it too. It's an LPS and softie tank. My first coral was a nice frogspawn, I paid 90$ for it, had 5 (yes I said 5) heads on it.....I have just fragged it into 4 pieces...the main coral is still in my tank with over 10 heads, I have a second coral in my 150 with 10 heads, I sold several frags of 2-5 heads just recently...it has paid for itself many times over and it allowed me to learn and make mistakes (it was very forgiving!)

My 120g FOWLR has been up since February of 2006...it had it's share of trouble too but totally my error and now is easy as can be to have up and running...simple maintenance is the key for this one also

My 150g is new since February 2007....and has been quite enjoyable all along...I'm sure I'll have some trouble with it at some point...but it's great, growing and healthy. I'm seeing growth on my SPS already and I'm really really happy.

marie
07-27-2007, 02:29 PM
I have had at least 1 saltwater tank since '92. I liked to think I have been successful :lol:

blaster
07-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Its funny because i think of all the bad luck i have with equipment breakdowns,i should leave the hobby.I seem to get the fluke defective equipment.Now i'm stressed because i can't get the rock to look right.800 dollars in premo frags sitting on eggcrate stands.

Delphinus
07-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Albert ... you've got to be kidding, you can't count that tank in the store as "a gorgeously maintained tank over the years". :lol:

Since you seemed to have completely forgotten about ME (which I'm sure was just a complete oversight, after all, I'm sure you don't really think of my tanks and accomplishments in the hobby over the last ten years as insignificant :p ), I'll have to toot my own horn, despite that it goes against everything I believe in .. I've been in the hobby for ten years now, and ...

Oh stow it, never mind. Those who have seen my tanks say they're nice. I think they're nice. That's enough for me. As for the original question ... anything worth doing is surely going to present a challenge sooner or later. You just have to learn when to roll with the ups and downs. Of course success is possible, most of us acheive it in some form or another (and possibly don't even realize it). Just recognize that nothing last forever, focuses and interests change, the time one can commit can change, and it causes us to change things around. Don't take the number of people "selling everything" as discouragement, we don't always know the circumstances. Maybe they just learned that they're about to give birth to triplets (this happened to a friend of mine, for real :lol:) and they've had to adjust their routine somewhat. The problem is that the reef hobby tends to be equipment-rich - and by that I mean - you tend to soak up a lot of savings for the equipment - so even if you're going to take a break, sometimes it makes more sense to "divest your investments back into liquidity" rather than sit on a bunch of equipment.

I love the hobby - even with the ups and downs - I would miss it. So, even though there are times I challenge my involvement in it - I'm still here. :) I hope that as you embark on your reef journey that you get as obsessed with it as the rest of us :)

Doug
07-27-2007, 04:04 PM
Saltwater since before many of you were born. :lol: I have been keeping reefs since 1990. Had many great tank success. Just change my tanks to much. :mrgreen:

Definetely times its enough to drive one crazy, which is when I suspect many leave. The rest of us keep on trudging along. :smile:

michika
07-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Since you seemed to have completely forgotten about ME (which I'm sure was just a complete oversight)

I have to pipe up here, his tanks are beautiful! Granted its been a couple of years, but still I was blown away two years ago when I was there to collect frags.

On another note, I've been around since 2004, not a significant time by any means, but I've had a pretty smooth ride for the most part. I've upgraded from a 29 all the way to a 230g, and now I've temporary downgraded to a 25g. I love the hobby, and the best part about it was being able to sit at my table and just watch my tank, very rewarding, calming, and addictive.

Captainhemo
07-27-2007, 07:54 PM
I too have been "in" the hobby since '04 and my tanks have had their ups and downs. I have been through some horrible health issues which have led to some periods of neglect for my tank but it is still going. I'm currently working at reviving it to its previous state.
I could have very ealsily just packed it up and given up on this hobby but it is far too rewarding to do that.
Three suggestiions to anyone starting out would be to go SLOW, read lots (there is sooo much information out there), and most of all, enjoy your reef !! :)

RicePaddy
07-27-2007, 08:42 PM
I began reefing September 2006 and would never look back. At least once a week I learn something new about my tank. To date I have only had minor problems that have all been solved or in the process of being solved. I started very slowly with my only problems being black spot on my yellow tang (problem solved) and hitchikers on my live rock which I am in the process of taking care of. My sons loves watching me set traps in the tank and we just caught a rock crab yesterday and is now a pet in a tank of his own. The kids called him "Rocky". Once I am satified that my hitchiker problem is under control, I will be buying some hard corals. I cannot wait.

Oh, and you cannot discount the friendships you make during your journey. I have met many individuals on this site and have had very good sound advise from many a reefer.

In summary, I am one happy reefer.

Will

digital-audiophile
07-27-2007, 08:46 PM
I've had a salt water tank running now for about 2 and a half years.

It started with a 10 Gallon then to a 30 Gallon to my present 90 Gallon.

I've had my ups and downs too, the worst being a tank crash a year ago when I moved my then 30G from my condo to my new house. I lost all my coral, I had over $1,500 worth of SPS and LPS die on me within 2 weeks of the move :( and that just about did me in, but my fish survived so I just kept going, although I went into the mode of just doing the bare minimum husbandry to keep everything alive but really got passionate again about 6 months ago when I upgraded to the 90G.

Melina
07-27-2007, 08:47 PM
In summary, I am one happy reefer.

Will[/QUOTE]

This is what I need to hear! Thanks. You know, most threads deal with problems people are having, but it's nice to hear that people are also enjoying their tanks! I'm going to take it very slow, and yes, I am reading as much as I can. I want to be a success story.

Snappy
07-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Since Albert mentioned me I'll chime in here. I would consider this link my somewhat successful story how ever humble.
http://www.canreef.com/ftotm/may07/index.php

If you are serious about the hobby jump in with both feet, you'll love it.

fishoholic
07-28-2007, 01:26 AM
Been reefing for a year and 1/2 and I love it! Even with the few dumb mistakes I've made along the way it's all been so worth it :biggrin:

mark
07-28-2007, 01:36 AM
Since 2002.

I really can't see how anything in the tank itself would drive me out of the hobby. There's ups and downs but anything negative can be overcome.

I could though see things not related to SW to cause me to quit.

StirCrazy
07-28-2007, 02:33 AM
I had mine going from 99 till last year. didn't realy get out of the hobby becayse of problems, more rather I was bored with it and was changing my life style to spend more time gone in the summers. the maintance on a salt water tank wouldn't allow me to do this so I am back to 3 fresh water tanks. well the kids have 2 and I have 1, but I am thinking of doing a monster planted fresh water, 250 to 300 gal. just not sure when, but if a tank comes up for the right price......

Steve

albert_dao
07-28-2007, 07:08 AM
Albert ... you've got to be kidding, you can't count that tank in the store as "a gorgeously maintained tank over the years". :lol:

Since you seemed to have completely forgotten about ME (which I'm sure was just a complete oversight, after all, I'm sure you don't really think of my tanks and accomplishments in the hobby over the last ten years as insignificant :p ), I'll have to toot my own horn, despite that it goes against everything I believe in .. I've been in the hobby for ten years now, and ...

Oh stow it, never mind. Those who have seen my tanks say they're nice. I think they're nice. That's enough for me. As for the original question ... anything worth doing is surely going to present a challenge sooner or later. You just have to learn when to roll with the ups and downs. Of course success is possible, most of us acheive it in some form or another (and possibly don't even realize it). Just recognize that nothing last forever, focuses and interests change, the time one can commit can change, and it causes us to change things around. Don't take the number of people "selling everything" as discouragement, we don't always know the circumstances. Maybe they just learned that they're about to give birth to triplets (this happened to a friend of mine, for real :lol:) and they've had to adjust their routine somewhat. The problem is that the reef hobby tends to be equipment-rich - and by that I mean - you tend to soak up a lot of savings for the equipment - so even if you're going to take a break, sometimes it makes more sense to "divest your investments back into liquidity" rather than sit on a bunch of equipment.

I love the hobby - even with the ups and downs - I would miss it. So, even though there are times I challenge my involvement in it - I'm still here. :) I hope that as you embark on your reef journey that you get as obsessed with it as the rest of us :)

I was gonna mention you Tony, but you're never quite as happy with your tank as the rest of us are :P

Just for the record, last time I was at Tony's, I and Cyril spent like half an hour oogling over the massive anemone and huge lump of Blue Ridge Coral. Very nice!

Actually, you should dig up pictures of your old SPS reef Tony! That was some sweet stuff.

andresont
07-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Its funny because i think of all the bad luck i have with equipment breakdowns,i should leave the hobby.I seem to get the fluke defective equipment.Now i'm stressed because i can't get the rock to look right.800 dollars in premo frags sitting on eggcrate stands.
I second that LR comment! real PITA.
The bestest way to arrange live rock is to make water cloudy, and then just blindly put all the rocks in.
Just make sure it stable that's all.
Always worked for me :)

andresont
07-28-2007, 10:19 AM
I've been reading some old threads about why people get out of the hobby & sell all their stuff. It seems a lot of people run into problems with their tanks and give up. As someone who is just about to start, I would like to hear something positive. Are there people out there who set up a tank and have enjoyed success? I know it's an expensive hobby. I know there will be a lot of challenges. But I need to hear that it's worth it, and what lies ahead of me is more than just frustration, desperation and hopeless surrender. Are there people out there who have stuck with the hobby for years and have maintained and enjoyed healthy tanks? I need to hear from you!

Chin Lee's are the best reef tanks i have ever seen localy!

Johnny Reefer
07-30-2007, 03:24 AM
I've been struggling with the definition of success for awhile now. I like to tell myself that it is in the eye of the beholder...to a point. I've been running a Reef and FOWLR for two? years now (seems like three for the reef). Tore both down and restarted once, due to a move. Both tanks have now been running again for 7 months. In terms of keeping fish and corals alive, I've been successful, with very few deaths. A couple of chromis; a clam; a cleaner shrimp. The clam death was entirely my stupid fault as I was Joe's Juicing Aiptasia that was on its shell. Lost a male Blue Chin Trigger once, too, but I'm certain it died due to shipping stress. It never did well from the start. So, in terms of keeping fish and corals alive...I consider myself successful.
Where I'm not so certain is the overall tanks themselves. The FOWLR is doing great. Nasty cyanobacteria has run it's course and pretty much gone, except for some in the sump.
The reef is another story. Had cyano here as well, but it too has all but dissappeared. Where I struggle with the term "success" is my ongoing battle with Aiptasia. I just can't seem to get it under control. I also now have a nasty hair algae problem as well. I have a mind to try a Racoon Butterfly for the Aiptasia problem, and a Sea Hare for the algae problem. In the meantime, however, I try to accept it by telling myself the tank has a more natural look. But I still find it hard to consider my reefkeeping a success.
In short, if success to you is keeping livestock alive then I echo Alberts comments re: information, patience, discipline and planning with emphasis on the information (ie: research) and patience. Especially patience. GO SLOW.
If success to you is keeping an award worthy, pristine reef tank...well....I hope you like a challenge.

Good luck and cheers,

SuperFudge
07-31-2007, 03:20 AM
Hello,

I set up my first salwater a couple months after my daughter was born 16 yrs ago.

In reality i am more concerned with the time ive had sucsessful systems.....the countless wasted hours plying pointless techniques and equipment becuase there was no real books nor discussion forums for us all to learn from then, it made for a lot of "hobbiest experience" with little true value, other than i could tell you exactly what NOT to do.

To further my experience, many inhabitants paid dearly then. :(
The first one had a pink skull, a green bridge, a mandarin goby (ill surely burn for that one) a feather duster and crushed coral trickle filter...oh yeah and a lee`s protien skimmer at some point there aswell....damn those sucked.
I just cringe when i see a pic of that tank....no you cant see it, id have to kill you after.

Melina, Take your time with the system, stock corals slow and fish even slower.
Dosing is probably the most troublesome thing ive seen in peoples early systems....Stick to your salt, determine system consumption before additives are bought and finally being moderatly stocked, dose or add needed equipment accordingly.

Water changes are soon forgot by way too many, and this will be ALL the additives you need initially...so some are doomed from the start as they think a bottle of iodide or some of these "magic" gro`s will work better here.
The most demanding and first consideration are likley going to be calcium and carbonate replenishment. (Ca)+(Alk/DKH/KH).

Marc.

Redrover
07-31-2007, 10:49 AM
I made a lot of goof's when I first started in salt water...before that freshwater going back to when I was a young lad...now a senior.
Take things slow...I believe that is the key...I had to learn the hard way.
There's a lot of people on Canreef that are willing to give out great info or where to find same...Mike / Marc have helped me...I have no regrets.

RJ

LostMind
07-31-2007, 05:16 PM
I started my first reef a few years ago based on some pictures I read in a book someone gave to me... the book was from the early 90's and the hobby had changed quite a bit by 2000...

but, regardless... I tossed together a 120g reef, no predrilled overflow, red sea berlin skimmer, ghetto cheap stand, lots of deep sand, and a couple pieces of live rock...

Within a week I'd already changed 90% of my equipment and ordered in more rock...

After just a few months I was really happy with my tank... it just kept growing and growing and growing. Only lost two fish (one clown jumped and one mystery wrasse dissappeared mysteriously while a reefer friend was babysitting... no, he doesn't have a mystery wrasse bt sometimes I wonder... lol).

I kept that tank for just under two years before I was bitten by the bigger tank bug and took it down. The only real work I did on the tank was clean the glass and skimmer, weekly 2 bucket water changes and top with kalk every night. So simple yet very effective...

I think my point is, you can jump right in the hobby and have a decent tank even if it's all rough in the beginning...

Joe Reefer
07-31-2007, 05:51 PM
This hobby has very high highs and low lows. To have a sucessful reef, you need a level of commitment that requires an enormous amount of time and love for the animals you are keeping. It takes more than just seeing a tank and saying "I want one cause it looks cool". You have to think of your tank as a life support system, however complex or simple your system may be it will require routine maintenance and checks that need to be done, I feel that most people get lazier as time goes by, skipping a water change, dosing, not QTing etc....eventually the tanks health declines so far that corals and fish start to die.

The first tank you ever setup will never look they way you want, it takes time IMO to have a tank worth showing anyone. When I say time it can take years before you will be happy with your tank. I am on my third tank in 4 yrs and I am finely getting to the point where upgrading does not interest me anymore.

Mik_101
07-31-2007, 07:59 PM
Wow I had my 46g for about 3 months nnow and whant to upgrade lol.