PDA

View Full Version : ev series skimmers

jdair101
12-29-2002, 12:07 AM
Hello out west
I've been fighting with a berlin XL that I didn't check out before I was talked into buying at the LFS. Anyway I have been looking to replace it with something better and am asking for advice from others that may be using other skimmers. My system is a 60"X18X24 built into a wall with a 25 gal sump. I'm using a LG 3mdqx return and 3 power heads for water movement. There are currently only a few softies and 6 fish in the tank but will be adding more as time goes on. I'm in the process of installing a 25gal fug to be located above the main tank and a small power head to feed it. Also waiting for the arrival of a VHO settup that will have 3 60" URI's with 2 NO's for atnics.
Anyway, i'm looking at the ev-180 that JL has and would like advice (good or bad) as this will hopefully be my last skimmer purchase for a while. I am open to other suggestions but I can't spend the farm?(that would be hard to explain to the ----WIFE----)

Dresden
12-29-2002, 03:07 AM
i have read you can modify berlin skimmers to make them much more effiencient, but i ahve no experience /w them try some searches for berlin modifications. or Berlin mods

Troy F
12-29-2002, 04:46 PM
I'd ask Doug Lowey what he thought of Jayson's skimmer and go the route of a good beckett skimmer. Precision Marine and Myreef are two other Beckett skimmer manufacturers.

reefburnaby
12-29-2002, 06:53 PM
Hi,

The bandaid solution that seems to work is a Kent Venutri (3/4" I think) and a Mag 7 pump. This should bump the Berlin up a class or two. You can check RC for more details.

There is no real need to buy a mega-skimmer. In fact, there is debate whether a skimmer is the best bang for your buck. The alternative is a mega-refugium. Something about the size of a 40 gal breeder tank (or bigger) can export lots of nutrients. Bigger is better in this scenario and the only cost is room. You can buy heavy duty Rubbermaid (not stuff from Zellers, but they are thicker and black - HD might carry them).

Otherwise...you'll need to spend the big bucks on Jayson's skimmers from saltwaterconnections.com. Periodically, they have sales on those items, so you can sort of please the wife by saying that it is on sale. Keep in mind that these skimmers need a really good pump (like a Mak4).

Hope that helps.

- Victor.

Doug
12-29-2002, 10:37 PM
We have been passing around my Euroreef, my 32in. MR3 beckett, and a normal Berlin, driven by a Mag9. Although the Berlin skims fine for its size, its certainly not in the class of the other two.

No matter how many modifications you make, its still a small skimmer, with a small dia. and a small throat. That can only handle so much water & foam, no matter how hard you drive it.

As a matter of point, Ron Shimek, who started the skimmer not removing to much thingy, now says they do remove some of the metals he studied, but if a skimmer is to be used, the largest one possible should be used.

I once tried a 55g tub, with a deep sandbed and lots of calerpa. It was to filter my 170. Could not do half of what My Euroreef filtered. Now my turf scrubber is another story.

Yes, Jayson sells some fine becketts. Top quality products. Currently running a MR3 on my tank, plus my turf scrubber. Although my skimmer is made by Myreef, I purchased it from Jayson. {long story}. Its similar to those that he makes.

Euroreef also makes fine skimmers. Perhaps the best on the market, IMO. I am still working on getting the becketts to out preform one. For plug and play, nothing beats a Euroreef. However their cost is pretty high and shipping from the US, leaves something to be desired.

One thing about purchasing from Jayson. He looks after and stands behind his products.

jdair101
12-30-2002, 02:09 AM
Thanks Guys
Do any of you have a picture of the skimmer that salt water connections makes. I have sent them a e-mail but will probably not here back from them till tomorrow.(one in action would be great)
Thanks for now

Doug
12-30-2002, 01:26 PM
I had pics on www.aquariumpros.ca/forums

Search under my name. I currently have a thread running on skimmers, with pics of my MR3.

There is another thread with pics of one of Jaysons also. Lots of pics on RC if you can find them also. I sent you some pics of my MR3 which is similar.