PDA

View Full Version : Ever wonder

marie
07-26-2007, 03:08 AM
What your tank might look like if you didn't have the benefit of the internet?
I was laying on the couch this afternoon (I hard day at work) gazing at the 175g and thinking just that. I figure I would still have my little 20g and be wondering why i can't keep that really cool algae (hair algae) to host my clown fish :lol: .
My first sighting of bubble algae was the coolest thing ever, it was only after reading other peoples posts on the net that i realized it was a pest

bv_reefer
07-26-2007, 04:30 AM
-cheers 2 that

niloc16
07-26-2007, 04:35 AM
very good point marie

Snappy
07-26-2007, 06:01 AM
What? Bubble algae's a pest? I was reading in a book I have on algae and they called them "sea pearls" so I had a good chuckle. Yes, I have gleened and amazing amount of information from the internet, and some of it is even worth knowing.:wink: If I didn't have the internet I would likely still have a bunch of rock and plastic plants

EmilyB
07-26-2007, 06:14 AM
My first tank was a FO eight years ago. No help locally and I sought out the internet on rec.aquaria newsgroups , I think I went under Deb Hadford then, and it was before EB.:wink:

Chaloupa
07-26-2007, 06:28 AM
Goodness....I think I would have given up COMPLETELY! I'd have been completely tankless now, and never would have looked back...I still rely soooo heavily on other peoples experiences.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-26-2007, 09:08 AM
I too have several books with out-of-date info that's quite amusing to read. Yeah, I would not even bother with doing a reef tank without the internet. Life for me would be completely different without the internet since I depend on it for much of my work related research, emailing, & fish research. I would have a handful of students & be doing mainly fw & fowlrs.

Anthony

fishoholic
07-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Wow were do I begin? I rely so heavily on the internet and exspecially this form I think I would be very lost without it. I remember when we got our first few pieces of LR and after a week of curing the "coolist" things started to grow on it. We were so excited to see something growing on our rock, we thought we had the best LR ever! Unfortuatly that cool thing was apatisia :twised: Something we still are trying to rid our tanks of to this day! :eek:

Scavenger
07-26-2007, 05:21 PM
I'd probably be thinking, Boy my goldfish look healthy. Too bad I can't keep some of that cool looking stuff I saw on Jacques Crousteau the other night instead.

digital-audiophile
07-26-2007, 05:25 PM
The internet is great for all kinds of information when it comes to hobbies. My other hobby is collecting WWI militaria, and the internet helps me keep up with the newest information and helps me find items I am looking for. Since these items are worth big money these days the fakers are getting better and better and producing almost 100% accurate reproductions and I would have ended up spending thousands of dollars on fakes if I didn't keep up with it.

michika
07-26-2007, 05:45 PM
I defnitely agree with everyone here! Without the internet I probably would have bought a pile of products from a less the reputable LFS, and would be paying crazy amounts for SPS, if I could even keep SPS!

Aside from reefkeeping, how would I entertain myself in class?

marie
07-26-2007, 09:57 PM
The thing is i was happy with my little 20g for 7 years (except I couldn't keep hair algae alive). It was the internet that showed me how much more was possible and i came down with large tank envy :lol:

justinl
07-26-2007, 10:14 PM
i wouldnt have a tank. simple as that. without the inter-webnet the thought probably would never have even crossed my mind. i also would have had a lot more time and cash to spend on school... so thank God for reefing and thank God for canreef so i can keep procrastinating as much as i can! :biggrin:

danny zubot
07-26-2007, 10:18 PM
LR, SPS, FOWLR, LFS, LPS. Whats all that?
I'll take one of those fuzzy stick thingies please, and don't forget that rock with the really cool anemone's on it. What do you call them again? Oh, Aptasia? Thanks Albert.:biggrin:

mark
07-27-2007, 03:31 AM
Be like the old days where someone would have a library of books on the hobby of choice.

Sure can't match the interaction of the internet though.

bv_reefer
07-27-2007, 03:34 AM
-it's true like the sugar dosing thread, u can read all u want but until u get a taste of other ppl's experiences, u never really understand. -mind u until u live
and learn off your own mistakes u still won't understand.

michika
07-27-2007, 04:40 AM
I agree with you Mark, I miss the books too.

I wish there were more books available.

christyf5
07-27-2007, 02:37 PM
I defnitely agree with everyone here! Without the internet I probably would have bought a pile of products from a less the reputable LFS, and would be paying crazy amounts for SPS, if I could even keep SPS!

Hehe ditto. Except I would never have even heard of SPS as nobody in Nanaimo ever had them. My tank would have been full of damsels, flame scallops and the ever replaceable mandarin goby flanked by some wonderful dead as doornail corals (or the lovely plastic ones). Every day I thank the creator of the internet for their good work :razz:

Doug
07-27-2007, 04:08 PM
While I agree the internet has made a difference, I did have very nice reef aquarium in the ,90,s up until I first got internet in about 98 or so. I did read lots of magazines though.

To me, the best part of the internet, is being able to share with others and just talk aquariums. :D

Pier Pressure
07-27-2007, 05:18 PM
I gained all of my knowledge on the internet and in "Fishkeeping for Dummies". I would still be trying to cycle my 150 gallon "starter tank" if I did not have the internet to turn to, and I have had it up and running for over two years now.

I sure found I DID NOT get a lot of good advice from lfs. However, I was dealing with PetSmart and places like that. Live and learn.