PDA

View Full Version : softies and skimming?

bv_reefer
07-24-2007, 05:01 AM
-i'm still trying 2 decide whether a skimmer will be in order for my softie tank
cuz on one hand i've heard countless times about how skimmerless is the way if u want optimum growth for ur softies but then i'm planning on having anemones so thats the catch-22 in there. -wud no skimmer just meen more water changes? - also someone reccomended i get a nano skimmer as it shud be sufficient enuf for a softie tank. -so any1 have any answers or suggestions?

Rippin
07-24-2007, 08:00 AM
I'd love to help you, but I can't read graffiti.:wink:

Really, unless English is not your first language, or even your second, would it kill you to spell correctly and use proper grammar?

On your 33g a nano skimmer may do the trick. Beyond the four Chromis', are you planning on any more fish? Fish can produce a lot of waste. A skimmer would help if you have a large bio-load.
Try going skimmerless for a while with weekly water changes and see how it goes. If your fish and/or soft corals looks like they're stressed, then a skimmer may be in order.

albert_dao
07-24-2007, 08:11 AM
Use a skimmer. Feed more.

WIN!@

bv_reefer
07-24-2007, 07:17 PM
sorry about the spelling :redface:
-anyways i've come down to two conclusions- a coralife super skimmer for tanks up to 65 gallons (needle-wheel) or a nano skimmer up to 20 gallons, but i'm probably gonna go with the coralife skimmer, any complaints about the needle-wheel? ever have bad luck with it?

digital-audiophile
07-24-2007, 07:21 PM
I've been using a CSS for two years and really don't have any complaints. It's a little tricky to dial in when new but other than a few wet overflows mostly becuase of my neglegence I've had no problems with mine and it pulls out nasty green slime daily :)

bv_reefer
07-24-2007, 07:26 PM
-alright, I have one in mind @ the LFS for $118, and it'll have 2 be the one..thx again-:wink:

Doug
07-24-2007, 09:44 PM
I would purchase the larger model if it was me.

bv_reefer
07-24-2007, 09:50 PM
-ya gonna go with the coralife super skimmer -it's rated up to 65-gallon
so it shud be ok for a 33-gallon softie reef-