PDA

View Full Version : Phosban Reactor

JasonJ
07-23-2007, 06:10 PM
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/supplies.php?product_ID=tf-reactor2

anyone ever use this? im thinkin of gettin one for my 15gal nano cube.

christyf5
07-23-2007, 06:25 PM
I have one. I love it. It works much more efficiently than a filter bag IMO. Works great for carbon as well :biggrin:

surgeonfish
07-23-2007, 10:36 PM
I have two hooked together in tandom. They work very well and are resonably priced. If you require a pump, the max required would be a MaxiJet 400.

andresont
07-23-2007, 11:38 PM
I got one also.
Good unit, works well, however for small tanks you will sacrafice some space to the pump.
i use it on my 66 gal but initially it was running on my 6 Gal Nano to get rid of PO4. Works well.

Be carefull when using carbon, it will give off a lot of black particulate that will be all over your sand or BB whatever case may be.
If you have to use carbon wash it really well. I did wash it well, i thought but still had small particles of carbon on my BB but it was easy to syphon out anyway.
It could be caused by grinding so not much you can do about that.
J&L have the same problem - black staff on the sand. So they replased the sand now with new live sand.

whatcaneyedo
09-20-2007, 03:02 AM
I use one to run carbon for my 120 gal. I use the Kent Reef Carbon as it comes in relatively large size pellets and stays inside the reactor.

BlondNasoTang
11-19-2007, 03:53 AM
Are these HOB units or am I able to place it under my display tank in the stand?

michika
11-19-2007, 04:03 AM
I have both models, the one by Two Little Fishes, and the Kent version. I would highly recommend the Two Little Fishes version over the Kent brand.

Johnny Reefer
11-19-2007, 04:41 AM
Are these HOB units or am I able to place it under my display tank in the stand?
They are HOB. Do you have a sump in the stand you can hang it on? If not, you might be looking at too much head running the return back up to the display.

RicePaddy
11-19-2007, 04:52 AM
They are selling 2 on J&L. One for Carbon and one for Phosphate. What does Carbon do and what does Phosphate do?

Is it a good idea to run both?

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/supplies.php?product_ID=tf-reactor3

Will

fkshiu
11-19-2007, 05:03 AM
The reactor is simply a chamber to put media (whatever you want: carbon, GFO, etc) into. You then attach a small pump to the reactor which pushes water through. It's more effective than just a filter bag because water passes through and all around the media evenly.

Most people use it for carbon or one of its substitutes, or granualated ferric oxide (GFO) which removes phosphate.

A handy little device although you can't put a large amount of media in there for big tanks (clogging issues) and getting the right amount of flow through the media can be a little tricky especially if you've hooked two up in series.

I also have one hooked up to my Tunze osmolator water top-off to dose kalkwasser.

kwirky
11-19-2007, 04:48 PM
I had one. It helped with algae somewhat running rowaphos in it but I didn't like the shoddy build of the unit. I guess that's what you get for $50. In about 3 months the 90 degree hose barbs hardened and came off on a regular basis. Just barely touching it would cause them to pop off and have water gushing out of the reactor.

It was noisy too leaning against the glass sump. The sump seemed to reverberate the noise from the reactor. There didn't appear to be a rubber seal on the screw on cap. It held with friction. Not a real issue with the lower water flow but in the long run I was nervous about the unit. I was worried about undertightening it and having a leak, or overtightening it and wearing out the seal.

It worked well though considering the price. I just wish that for the $50+20 paid for the reactor and a maxijet pump there was something all in one with a little more quality. There's not a whole lot out there at the same price range for competition so it's a good unit for the price.

Van-rookie
11-19-2007, 04:56 PM
[QUOTE=fkshiu;282260]The reactor is simply a chamber to put media (whatever you want: carbon, GFO, etc) into. You then attach a small pump to the reactor which pushes water through. It's more effective than just a filter bag because water passes through and all around the media evenly.
QUOTE]

so the fuction is similar as fluval filter ?

midgetwaiter
11-19-2007, 06:28 PM
I ordered some of these for the place I work at recently:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~SearchSt~magnavore%20simplicity%20chem ical%20reactor~action~view~idProduct~MN4111.html

I bought one and installed it Saturday, it does take up a fair chunk of space but I really like it and there is no chance it will leak.

fkshiu
11-19-2007, 08:21 PM
[QUOTE=fkshiu;282260]The reactor is simply a chamber to put media (whatever you want: carbon, GFO, etc) into. You then attach a small pump to the reactor which pushes water through. It's more effective than just a filter bag because water passes through and all around the media evenly.
QUOTE]

so the fuction is similar as fluval filter ?

Sorta, but the key difference is that the reactor operates at a much slower flow rate allowing the media to freely percolate which makes the media much more effective. In a canister filter like a fluval you have to use a media bag which results in a lot of bypass and the flow rate is also too high to optimize contact time.

Van-rookie
11-19-2007, 11:30 PM
i see.
would it be ok to take out carbon from the bag and put them directly on the compartment ?

Myka
11-20-2007, 02:28 AM
I have one. I love it. It works much more efficiently than a filter bag IMO. Works great for carbon as well :biggrin:

Exactly.

michika
11-20-2007, 02:36 AM
i see.
would it be ok to take out carbon from the bag and put them directly on the compartment ?

Yes, you can, just make sure to keep the floss circle tops above and below your carbon.

Johnny Reefer
11-20-2007, 04:36 AM
i see.
I just asked this very same question in another thread I started a few days ago. I got one response saying they had done it. I'm doing maintenance to my reef tomorrow. Will then be running my Fluval 405 with 3 of the 4 baskets full of just carbon. No bags. At the top of the third basket I will use cut to size HBH carbon pads to prevent carbon bits reaching the impeller. The 4th (top) basket will be empty. This will probably allow me to increase my carbon use by 1.5x. I've been told you can't use too much carbon so I'm increasing the amount I use in an attempt to win some ongoing pest battles. But I digress and am getting off topic here.

Cheers,