PDA

View Full Version : Question about setting up reef

cav~firez22
07-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Hi All,

I just bought a new reeftank and sump & pump and stuff from Mike @ hiddenReef.

I wondering about the rock, is it best to put the rock in first, then lay the sand down? or does it not matter.

Der_Iron_Chef
07-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Sand, then rock :)

mark
07-22-2007, 08:42 PM
I would say rock then sand, reason being the rock may tumble as is settles into the sand.

Running BB now but when I had a sand bed, propped up my rock on boxes (stands) made from egg crating so I wasn't loosing the first 4 inches of rock under the sand.

Redrover
07-22-2007, 08:55 PM
For me Sand then Rock...I deal a lot with Hidden Reef { Mike / Marc }

Renegade
07-22-2007, 09:38 PM
i cycled my tank Bare Bottom in order to suck out any detritus and die from the rocks, then i added new sand. My mind set was so i didn't set up a brand new tank and after it cycled have the sand bed saturated with detritus

fishoholic
07-23-2007, 12:12 AM
i cycled my tank Bare Bottom in order to suck out any detritus and die from the rocks, then i added new sand. My mind set was so i didn't set up a brand new tank and after it cycled have the sand bed saturated with detritus

That makes sense but I personally fine it easier to add sand 1st (and let it settle) then add rock.

cav~firez22
07-24-2007, 12:21 AM
Well my tank should be here tomorrow morning, i have all the water and rock in my currant tank, Just curious of the best way to get the tank setup. was thinking about getting a sheet of eggcrate and putting it in the tank, then some sand just to cover it, and then the rock, and then the rest of the sand.

andresont
07-24-2007, 01:41 AM
Well my tank should be here tomorrow morning, i have all the water and rock in my currant tank, Just curious of the best way to get the tank setup. was thinking about getting a sheet of eggcrate and putting it in the tank, then some sand just to cover it, and then the rock, and then the rest of the sand.

Please Note All below is just my opinion only based on my own experience, just offer help and good advise.

• Egg crate bad idea ! This will be just a detritus trap and recipe for tank crash in two years or sooner.
• Sand first bad idea ! also, because If you decide to have sand you must support sand life i.e. staff that burrow in to keep that sand bed alive and this is another recipe for your rock tumble down and at very least just kill the poor goby or whatever will be making home there. Or complete rock work will go down and crack the tank.
• Personally I think if you can not keep you sand live and here you can’t unless you are close to a warm ocean and can replace all the worms and bugs etc on regular basis. just go BB. esay to clean , easy to maintain.

JM2CW

Pescador
07-24-2007, 07:32 AM
I used pvc to make a frame for good flow under the rock and just put some sand in the front.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/Pescador58/Reef%20Tank/IMG_1956.jpg

bv_reefer
07-26-2007, 01:44 AM
-i went sand then rock, and stability isn't an issue

steva44
07-28-2007, 02:28 AM
-i went sand then rock, and stability isn't an issue

Thats because you only have one big piece of live rock... and too much sand

michika
07-28-2007, 02:00 PM
I've always done a little sand, then all my rock, then more sand. I've always run a DSB, as in 4-6" worth with no problems. I've never had issues with sand creatures digging down all the way to the bottom, or even a little ways and causing the rocks to shift. The first layer of sand was to prevent the rocks in some ways from cracking the bottom pane of glass, and then the second and final layer just filled everything up and looks more natural to me.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Aquattro
07-28-2007, 03:26 PM
If you're going to use sand, put it in first. During the cycling of the rock, lots of the critters will leave the rock and move into the sand. Stability isn't an issue, just seat the rock well on the sand and it will be fine. Any detritus that does fall on the sand will disappear soon enough, and will help establish the sand bed.

digital-audiophile
07-28-2007, 04:19 PM
I have always went sand then rock, but I make sure that the base structure of the reef is pushed well into the sand so it is touching the glass.

Personally I love sand beds, to me BB makes a tank look too much like a fish store sales tank. In the end to each their own though eh? :)