PDA

View Full Version : Condy questions

chicki
12-28-2002, 02:29 AM
I came across a tiny pint tipped anemone (Condy) today and it's about the size of a twoonie. I ended up bringing it home. I don't ever support petcetra but for 10. dollars I decided that this time only I would. Anyways cant seem to find a whole bunch of information on them. Besides being hardy and not a hosting anemone?? can anyone add to this? do they like the sandbed or rock? thanks

Canadian Man
12-28-2002, 02:31 AM
They like the rock not the sand. I fed mine about every week or so and fed it various things like shrimp, krill, etc.

Mine was quite healthy and looked gorgeous.
Very nice anenome. It just took up valuable realestate in my tank and had to go.

REEF_GUY
12-28-2002, 02:49 AM
This website has sime good info

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=23&pCatId=630

EmilyB
12-28-2002, 02:59 AM
Want another one????? :lol: Dez might be able to bring it back for you..... 8)

Mine is quite colorful...doesn't like too much light, I tried to stick it in the 120g - no good. I got stupid over Christmas and was working on moving my maroons etc to the smaller tank....(they are too big so they went back...heheh) moved the condy near the filter intake...wooo hooo....stretching power, he looked like Rubber Man...he was NOT letting go of his rock. I shut off the filter, he came out and is totally recuperated today.

Eat like pigs they do....he's too big for my 44g, but as I say the other tanks have too much light, he doesn't do well there.

EmilyB
12-28-2002, 03:08 AM
http://www.members.shaw.ca/bhadford1/Condy.jpg

And if anyone says this looks like a giant aiptasia, ignore them..... :lol: :P :wink:

Hey - this is 24hrs after Rubber Man...... :?

Canadian Man
12-28-2002, 06:13 AM
Hey Deb....
That's not a condy....I....think...it......looks......like a giant aptasia!!!!!!
:roll: :P :wink:

chicki
12-28-2002, 10:53 PM
How often did you feed it? Anyone ever have one that a maroon took too?

Canadian Man
12-28-2002, 11:12 PM
They are not "Fish Friendly" as per say.
I have never heard of any clown's taking to a condy
Their not a host anenome. :D

chicki
12-29-2002, 11:51 AM
Thats what I've read, but this guy I know says he had one that hosted a marron??

Canadian Man
12-29-2002, 07:03 PM
Hmmm. That would be neet to see.
You should try to persuade him to get you/us a pic.

Dez
12-29-2002, 08:26 PM
I have a friend that has had his tomato clown (Amphiprion Frenatus) for 13 years and it is paired with a condy anemone....

I've read that usually the only clownfish that will take to a condylactus is the tomato clown...

Maroons like the bublle tipped...

Des

Mak
12-30-2002, 12:03 AM
Well After my BTA was shredded, my 2 1/2" Tomato Clown has been sharing the Condy with my Anemone Crab. There has been no real problems other than the Clown kick'n up a whole lotta sand.

PS DEB your Condy does look like a large Aiptasia :shock: :P :wink: :lol: ... mine is a beauty, Nice green tenticles with purple tips 8) :D

EmilyB
12-30-2002, 12:06 AM
:lol: :shock:

Delphinus
12-30-2002, 12:17 AM
In captivity, "all bets are off" as to what clownfish/symbiont pairings happen, and even whether they happen at all. Not only the wrong species of anemone, but thing like leathers or colt corals ... GSP ... etc. can be taken to as hosts if the fish so desires ...

I'm sure I've seen anemonefish in condys... it was either a clarkii or a tomato.

The condy is in fact, I believe, technically a hosting species (just not with anemonefish, because it's an Atlantic species and anemonefish are Pacific species). I beleive you can see it with symbiotic shrimp (Periclimenes spp. ?) and symbiotic crabs I think.

Mak
12-30-2002, 12:24 AM
No doubt Tone. My Perc's host in/at :roll: my Green Bubble.

chicki
12-30-2002, 01:30 AM
Okay, I posted a picture of it. You can see it at www.pbase.com/chicki/root

Canadian Man
12-30-2002, 02:29 AM
Hmm at first glace that does not look like a condy to me but I don't know anenome's too well so I best not go any furthur than to say. "Are you sure?" :?

Bob I
12-30-2002, 02:35 AM
Hmm at first glace that does not look like a condy to me but I don't know anenome's too well so I best not go any furthur than to say. "Are you sure?" :?

Looks like a condylactus to me. 8)

chicki
12-30-2002, 03:07 AM
Well it looks like its dieing. It's let go and all shriveled up. I have red legged crabs and they seem to be really drawn to it. Came across a article a bit ago saying that they are the Condy's natural predator??