PDA

View Full Version : Missing bi-clolor gradma

Mik_101
07-20-2007, 09:42 PM
I was away for and before I left my royal grandma started to come out once in a while. Today when I got back I couldn't find anywhere and I also moved all the rock and he is no where to be found and he is not out side the tank, not in sump not in the overflow not dead(well no body) what can I do? How long can this species go missing at a time?

Scavenger
07-20-2007, 10:04 PM
I used to enjoy eating my royal grandma's cookies as a kid. LOL! Sorry I couldn't resist. Actually it is royal gramma for the fish variety.

Anyway, gramma's can be good hiders when they don't feel quite at home in an aquarium. He could easily be hiding IN a rock and you won't find him most likely. If he has passed on, you most likely won't find a body as bristle worms and other scavengers will have snacked by now.

I wouldn't panic and assume the worst just yet. I had a gramma hide for quite some time once. If memory serves it was about 1-2 weeks.

They also can turn nocturnal as well. Maybe a midnight sneak up to the fish tank might help if you have enough lighting to see after dark.

MikeP
07-20-2007, 10:28 PM
MMM cookies.....:) Anyway, I have experienced great hiding abilities from royal grammas as well. Don't worry just yet. How long have you had him? What size is the tank?

Mik_101
07-20-2007, 10:41 PM
My tank is 46 gallons. iv had him for 3 days ther is only 1 day he was coming out and hiding right away

Mik_101
07-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Is it true that they will hide if you have strong lighting in your tank? Iv heard that they want a subdued lighting arrangement for their liking.

Scavenger
07-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Yes these fish do like subdued lighting, but in my opinion, they can and do adjust nicely to brighter aquariums. As for the hiding fish, three days isn't all that much time for it to adjust and become at home in your aquarium. Just give him time and keep your hands out of the tank as much as possible and don't rearrange things.

On a side note, may I suggest spell and grammar checks? You will find more people willing to read and reply to questions when they don't have to work to interpret them.

Mik_101
07-20-2007, 11:23 PM
Ok:redface: