PDA

View Full Version : softie question...

bv_reefer
07-20-2007, 09:06 PM
-I have 20 pounds of live rock and 4 chromis and a lil' softie coral,
and he's always moving around and filter-feeding and i was just wondering
if i need 2 supplement his diet with that 16 ounce bottle of phytoplankton?

-also i know that 2 much light during the cycling period gives u nuisance
algae, so how long shud my lights be on for my softie?

Rippin
07-20-2007, 09:15 PM
What soft coral do you have? Most soft corals do not need phyto feedings.
In terms of your lighting perod, 7-8 hrs of MH should do the trick.

Moogled
07-20-2007, 09:20 PM
What kind of softie is it?

I never knew corals moved locations......

bv_reefer
07-20-2007, 10:19 PM
-it's still a little early 2 say, but u can definitely see the shape,color,
and structure of it. it has 5-7 white stems and each stem has a bunch of
little sweepers that are always moving around,opening and closing. I'd say that the little sweepers are brownish and white.-any suggestions?

marie
07-20-2007, 10:34 PM
-it's still a little early 2 say, but u can definitely see the shape,color,
and structure of it. it has 5-7 white stems and each stem has a bunch of
little sweepers that are always moving around,opening and closing. I'd say that the little sweepers are brownish and white.-any suggestions?

Sounds like pulsing xenia. Does it look like this?
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/xenia_001.jpg

bv_reefer
07-20-2007, 10:34 PM
-Just found out it's a little pulsating xenia!

bv_reefer
07-21-2007, 03:22 AM
-iz skimmerless realy the best choice for a softie-only system? cuz that's
what i've been hearing for the past little while on canreef...

Renegade
07-21-2007, 04:51 AM
If your tank is still cycling you really shouldn't have anything in it until the cycles down. Most cycling is done with your lights off, which is a catch 22 if you have corals b/c they need light. Reducing your light cycle to accommodate your coral and cycle will have ill effects on both, it will create and algae bloom and starve your coral from the amount of light it should be receiving.

Kyle

bv_reefer
07-21-2007, 05:24 AM
-ya well what i'm currently doin' iz 4 hours of light just enuf for him 2 photo-
synthesize, and not overly 2 much for algae blooms i think. -but then again
all he does all day and night is filter-feed, so light shouldn't be 2 much of a problem.plus he's the only one. so as ****ed off as i wud be 2 lose him he'd
be the only casualty, but i think he shud be fine cuz softies aren't as light
hungry as sps.

Renegade
07-21-2007, 05:31 AM
just some advice, i have invested and wasted thousands of dollars into this hobby yes thousands, like many others on this form, be patient go slow, i know what its like to start this hobby we all did at one point. We also know how much we wasted not listening to advice and most of all rushing things.

Kyle

bv_reefer
07-21-2007, 05:39 AM
-o i know what u meen but i'm not touchin' corals for a good month and a half, but this xenia came with my tonga deepwater chunk so i'm just doing
what i can 2 keep it thriving. other than that it's alone, just hope he's ok with only 4-5 hours of light.

fishoholic
07-21-2007, 05:51 AM
just some advice, i have invested and wasted thousands of dollars into this hobby yes thousands, like many others on this form, be patient go slow, i know what its like to start this hobby we all did at one point. We also know how much we wasted not listening to advice and most of all rushing things.

Kyle

So True.

Mik_101
07-21-2007, 07:17 AM
-o i know what u meen but i'm not touchin' corals for a good month and a half, but this xenia came with my tonga deepwater chunk so i'm just doing
what i can 2 keep it thriving. other than that it's alone, just hope he's ok with only 4-5 hours of light.

Well actually no it didn't I asked bv_reefer if he wanted the frag and he said sure why not. So i fraged the smallest 1. Tank is not stable enough and there is to much sand particles every where and IMO its not ready for anything expert chromis.

digital-audiophile
07-21-2007, 02:55 PM
It's not even ready for chromis! You guys just don't get it.

Static
07-21-2007, 03:44 PM
It's not even ready for chromis! You guys just don't get it.

+1

Chaloupa
07-21-2007, 04:44 PM
X10 this tank is not ready for ANYTHING....maybe if I say it again you will get it, THIS TANK IS NOT READY FOR ANYTHING you haven't even cycled it and you have fish in it...you are torturing your fish......your sand is still flying around the tank, so you put a HOB filter from your FW tank on it.....you're trying to make it all happen in a few days and it won't...

SLOW DOWN...REEFING TAKES PATIENCE!

bv_reefer
07-21-2007, 08:10 PM
-fyi The Water Iz Crystal Clear Not One Piece Of Sand Floating
Around And What Do Expect Me Do Flush The Xenia Down The Toilet???

i have crabs
07-21-2007, 08:48 PM
how about flushing your keyboard down the toilet and go buy the book saltwater aquariums for dummies

http://www.amazon.ca/Saltwater-Aquariums-Dummies-Gregory-Skomal/dp/0470068051/ref=sr_1_5/702-7482025-2743239?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185050907&sr=8-5

bv_reefer
07-21-2007, 08:56 PM
-saltwater book about dummies wow u must think alot about urself don't u, and i have a book about saltwater
for ur information and reading it...

Doug
07-21-2007, 09:06 PM
-fyi The Water Iz Crystal Clear Not One Piece Of Sand Floating
Around And What Do Expect Me Do Flush The Xenia Down The Toilet???

I believe they are talking about having chromis is a new cycling aquarium.

and lets please keep this civil.

Redrover
07-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Your getting to be a pain in you know where...for someone's sake like Chaloupa said get a book or go on the internet to find the answer to you questions!!!!!! READ-READ and READ MORE

bv_reefer
07-21-2007, 09:12 PM
-ok point taken end of thread i get it,2 much fish and god forbid a coral in a cycling tank, and what question? my question was answered a long time ago.

Mik_101
07-21-2007, 09:28 PM
First point the tank crystal clear ok not crystle clear but right ther the chromis will survive because i put 1 in my freshwater tank and it survived for 3.5 days.

marie
07-21-2007, 10:03 PM
First point the tank crystal clear ok not crystle clear but right ther the chromis will survive because i put 1 in my freshwater tank and it survived for 3.5 days.

Why would you put a saltwater fish into freshwater? :confused:

I'm sorry but I have to speak up, I realize that to a lot of people fish are...well just fish. But a lot of saltwater fish have a normal lifespan of 10 to 15 years or more. They are also intelligent enough to recognize and remember the face of the one who feeds them. Buying one should be no different then buying a dog or cat because they should be with you for a very long time.
Nobody should buy a saint bernard puppy for a one bedroom apartment with the intention of finding a home for it when it is a year old because it is too big.

A cycling tank has ammonia, it is a toxic enviroment, the fish can't hold it's breath until the ammonia goes away. Even if it survives there is no telling what kind of gill damage it sustains :sad:

Renegade
07-21-2007, 10:24 PM
i shake my head at you two. There people in this world who i truly should not be aloud to have pets (or kids for that matter) and believe you two fall under that category

Why they are still member of this board i'm not sure. people are banded for saying inappropriate things. I think people should also be banded for stupidity.

i was unaware canreef MOD's would stand by well people admit cruelty to animals and still keep them on this form.

Redrover
07-21-2007, 10:29 PM
You guy's just don't get it...change the wallpaper on your computer and watch that...as far as this hobby goes your wasting time and money,and putting all your criters through hell !!!!!!!!!!!

Mik_101
07-21-2007, 10:33 PM
How can you comare someones personality to how we treat SW fish. Now THAT is stupidity and we feed regularly and keep up to date with water parameters. So its the same thing as me saying that you put your kids in your reef tank as fish.

skylord
07-21-2007, 10:39 PM

What was the purpose of your torture....fun?

Scott

Doug
07-21-2007, 10:49 PM
i shake my head at you two. There people in this world who i truly should not be aloud to have pets (or kids for that matter) and believe you two fall under that category

Why they are still member of this board i'm not sure. people are banded for saying inappropriate things. I think people should also be banded for stupidity.

Its verbal attacks like these that also get members a warning. Two wrongs dont make it right.

i was unaware canreef MOD's would stand by well people admit cruelty to animals and still keep them on this form.

Would you like me to bring up all the threads where newbies cycled an aquarium using damsels. Now I, 100% dont agree with using fish to cycle but I would hope these guys would get that from the posts you guys have made.

The info regarding putting chromis in fresh water was just posted and thats is being taken into consideration.

Accusing the staff of neglect is not correct either. I already asked to keep this thread civil but guess that was for nothing. I did leave it open hoping it would, but in hind sight, should have closed it.

I apologize thats its gotten this far.

bv_reefer
07-21-2007, 10:49 PM
-i'm really trying understand how torture comes onto play,u make it sound
like im branding my fish, i meen come on i got a SG of 1.024, pH of 8.2, and no ammonia or nitrites, and if i ever get them, they'll go in the quarantine tank

- and by the way mik_101's tank is as clean as a new tank set up gets.
-and mine is clean clear and stable so WHAT torture???