PDA

View Full Version : Anemone that’s a little lost…?

fortheloveofcrabs
07-20-2007, 01:40 AM
Okay, so I’ve had this RBTA for three years, and it’s never once moved since I put it in. Last night it decided to pick and go for a hike. Why do they do this? Is there anyway I can coerce it back to its old spot?

fortheloveofcrabs
07-20-2007, 01:48 AM
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the light in my sump burnt out for about three days. The anemone moved the night I replaced the light….

Also, thank. I forgot that part :}

fishoholic
07-20-2007, 04:59 AM
I had one that moved away from his spot for two days, I guess he figured he was happy where he was and thankfully went back on his own.

untamed
07-20-2007, 05:37 AM
In my experience...that is what they do sometimes. Mine spends an average of about 1 yr in a particular spot, then does a couple laps around the tank before settling for another year. It can be hard on corals, since they can't really get out of the way...

Pier Pressure
07-20-2007, 02:49 PM
I have a small gbt, small tube anemone and a larger sebae. The gbt and sebae are rambling anemones - you just never know where they are going to end up in the tank. They seem to move around the most when we change the flow. The tube anemone seems to stay closer to the same spot but he moves around, too.

You have to remember they are animals and not plants, and unlike corals they will probably not stay where you put them. Not sure how to coerce one to a particular spot but if you figure it out let us know!

fortheloveofcrabs
07-20-2007, 06:48 PM
It's decided to, well, it's on the side of my tank right now. On the glass... What a weirdo...

fkshiu
07-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Sorry to hijack, but I'm wondering if you'd be able to "maroon" an anemone on a single piece of live rock? Or would it have no problem traversing substrate?

Quagmire
07-20-2007, 11:07 PM
Sorry to hijack, but I'm wondering if you'd be able to "maroon" an anemone on a single piece of live rock? Or would it have no problem traversing substrate?

They will go pretty much anywhere they want

bv_reefer
07-21-2007, 02:32 AM
-any1 know if a tomato clown wud host a RBTA or wud the
anemone sting him?-cuz i know that clowns usually like
alot of bubbletip anemones.

Mik_101
07-21-2007, 07:10 AM
-any1 know if a tomato clown wud host a RBTA or wud the
anemone sting him?-cuz i know that clowns usually like
alot of bubbletip anemones.

Any anemone from he indo pacific coral sea ect. would be fine for a clown fish.

skylord
07-21-2007, 07:36 AM

I have one that dont like live rock at all. He is at the front of the tank half on the glass and half on the sand. I tried to get him on some rock but he just moved away from it. He has been like that for about a year now.

Scott

fortheloveofcrabs
08-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Okay, the anemone settled back where I wanted him, but then a few days ago went on another journey... The problem is he is right near the surface of the water – and I want to do a water change, but don’t want to leave him exposed. Can I just carefully use a razor to scrape him off the back glass?

Redrover
08-02-2007, 07:18 PM
I recommend using a credit care [ carefully ]
They will keep moving till they find a spot that they are happy with...

RJ

Pier Pressure
08-02-2007, 07:40 PM
I find with all three of mine - they will settle somewhere for a few months, but once we change something in the tank they are on the ramble again. Flow changes send them travelling, adding or removing powerheads, moving rock - anything like that that changes the flow even slightly.

I do not want to hijack but I have a semi-related question. My gbta was quite large and then I got the white sebae. Since that time, the white sebae has turned beige and tripled in size, while the gbta has gotten smaller and does not seem nearly as happy. Wild caught clowns are hosting the sebae, and a carribean crab is hosting the gbta.

Does one type of anemone intimidate another kind? I direct feed all of them so it cannot be that he is starving to death! He eats just fine - just looks a lot smaller and travels a lot more than he used to.

Mik_101
08-02-2007, 07:56 PM
My clownfish moves all the time not a bunch but a bit allways up and down a rock.

Geofrog
08-02-2007, 09:44 PM
It could be chemical warfare between your GBTA and the Sebae, with the sebae winning. Research done on the rock anemones on the west coast shows that two populations of anemones (same species) use chemical warfare to mark their territory, so that they don't encroach on each other. Could be similar in your situation.

NateL
08-02-2007, 09:52 PM
+1 on the chemical warfare. Do you run carbon?

fortheloveofcrabs
08-13-2007, 05:14 PM
This thread has brought up some interesting stuff, so I’ll keep this going – with a new question! So my wandering anemone split – into two. It’s in a16 gal, so it’s a little small for two of these guys, and I was wondering if I could throw one in my 55 gal- which has 2 X 96 watt pf 50/50 and 2X 96 watt 10Kk – is that enough light for a RBTA?

Thanks again all!

howdy20012002
08-13-2007, 05:27 PM
IMO, the PC lighting would suffice for the BTA.
I have mine under 65 W PCs.
HTH
Neal

fortheloveofcrabs
08-13-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks... I just noticed that I wrote something pretty odd:

2 X 96 watt pf 50/50 and 2X 96 watt 10Kk

Neal, you are obviously a gibberish to English translator...! :)

I meat to say is that I have 2 of these...

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/l-pc.php?product_ID=pc-al36192

Pier Pressure
08-13-2007, 06:53 PM
I am the White sebae v. GBTA person who is having trouble with the GBTA getting smaller while the sebae gets bigger.

No, we are not running carbon on the saltwater set up. Should we be? We have lots of live rock, a protein skimmer, a pump (not sure what kind) and a UV sterilizer. Would carbon stop the chemical warfare that is going on?