PDA

View Full Version : Apatisia

Mik_101
07-19-2007, 02:01 PM
What can I do to kill apatasia anemone without Copper banded fish or peppermint shrimp? Any chemicals suggested.

NateL
07-19-2007, 02:25 PM
try joe's juice, boiling water, or lemon juice, or kalk, in a syringe, maybe the search function every once and a while.

Redrover
07-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Just a sugestion go to Google Search for info on reefing ,there is some good info out there...read...read and read

digital-audiophile
07-19-2007, 02:41 PM
The search function will bring up lots of good suggestions to your questions.

Also check out the reference library section http://canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=40 a lot of what you have been asking has been answered many times before.

0sprey
07-19-2007, 07:26 PM
If you have a severe infestation, if injection is too tedious and you have a bit of spare pocket money, berghia nudibranches are an excellent solution. I ordered mine from www.saltyunderground.com

crystalz
07-20-2007, 04:16 AM
I'm not much of a fan of Joes juice.(had poor luck with it) I found another product called Aptasia Control which is vetrinarian endorsed and for me worked like a charm. My tank is aptasia free. I only had two to begin with though.

fishoholic
07-20-2007, 05:07 AM
I'm not much of a fan of Joes juice.(had poor luck with it) I found another product called Aptasia Control which is vetrinarian endorsed and for me worked like a charm. My tank is aptasia free. I only had two to begin with though.

Where did you buy the Aptasia Control? does it work like Joes juice or is it different. Just curious because I have a tank full of aptasia and if the peppermint shrimp (I just bought) don't eat it I might buy something to help get rid of it. Thanks Laurie

MikeP
07-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Peppermints took care of mine but I had to buy two. There was no change until the second one showed up. I have heard that there is a type of peppermint that doesnt eat it and another type that does. I have also heard that they are more effective when there is 2 or 3. Not sure if my aptasia was eaten because the second one I bought had a taste for it or if they both started to eat it because they were together.

HTH

michika
07-20-2007, 04:54 PM
I vote for the lemon juice method. I've done the peppermint shrimp, and the copperband butterfly route (both duds in my case), and had great sucess with injecting lemon juice using a syringe. It was cheap, simple, and they never came back.

likwid
07-20-2007, 05:07 PM
Will lemon juice hurt any corals or fish that are around? Wouldnt it contaminate the water at all?

michika
07-20-2007, 05:09 PM
I've never had a problem with it. I'm always careful to use as little as possible though. I use so little, that I doubt it impacts anything.

shelleyr
07-20-2007, 06:56 PM
I have had success with hot vinegar too - doesn't hurt anything else.

Captainhemo
07-20-2007, 07:29 PM
If you have a bit of spare pocket money, berghia nudibranches are an excellent solution. I ordered mine from www.saltyunderground.com

How did the berghia nudibranches work out for you and what did it end up costing you to have them shipped up ?

-captainhemo

0sprey
07-22-2007, 07:42 PM
The berghia were brilliant. They bred in the tank and kept going until all the aiptasia were utterly destroyed; took 3-4 months. At that point they were starting to starve, so I caught as many as possible and brought them in to my LFS for store credit. I hope Colby has success breeding and selling them, I think it would be awesome for berghia to be available at the retail level.
Total cost... hmmm. I think it was around $100. But I got $40 of that back, and I probably could have recouped more expenses if I had been more diligent about catching and selling them. If you have a small tank, it probably wouldn't be worth it; the shipping minimum is 8 when they ship outside the states. But for a larger tank (I have a 90g system), I felt it was well worth the money.