PDA

View Full Version : Question on Circulation between two tanks

Dorkel Marine 1
12-27-2002, 07:21 AM
Please bear with me here guys as I try to state this question. I've got two 27 gal tanks. One is 20 in. high the other is 15in. high. They are side by side. I would like to link them together. The two LFS guys I've talked too have suggested two things. One is out of the question. That is to drill the higher tank and pump the water into it from the lower tank. I'd have to buy a new tank. Right now no can do. Another LFS guy suggested these U shaped siphon tubes. Level the two tanks and pump water from one to the other. The other guy said ok but the problem that could crop up would be an air pocket developing at the top of the U tube. He said this could eventually block the siphone etc etc. Have any of you used thes U shaped tubes. I mean I check my tanks everyday and I could simply blow out the air build up with a piece of air tubing couldn't I. I'd really like to get this going. I want to start adding iodine and keep the calcium level up at normal levels. I'd like to put everything on the one tank. the skimmer, heater, and the Kalk dosing gear however I work that out. Advice appreciated. Thanks and happy reefin.

George

StirCrazy
12-27-2002, 02:51 PM
either way you are going to have to make both tank level at the tops.. this way if your power goes out your water level won't equalize between the tanks and onto your floor..

this is what I did
http://members.shaw.ca/stircrazy/plumming/25galand33galtogeather.jpg

all I do is draw from one and feed it to the other.. works great

Steve

rossb
12-27-2002, 04:53 PM
DM1 I have used the U tubes/overflow method to join two tanks of uneven heights. In my fresh water setup I have a raised tank and a lower pond. I pump water from the pond into the tank and use an overflow system to return the water. In my first set up I mounted a bulkhead fitting (drain) into an aqua-clear 300. The bottom of the drain is level with the water line in the upper tank. I had to play around a bit but i finally got it to work quite well. The secret...I use three U tubes. The most recent ones are made from 3/4 PVC and they work the best. If you do this you have to make sure the syphon tubes are at least 1 inch below the bottom of the drain. You also have to make sure you have an anti-syphon device on the pump lines...in case of power failure (I just drilled a hole in the pump line a bit above the water level).

Ohh and one more thing...if you have an airstone make sure it can't possibly get close to the U tubes. My fish kept knocking it and eventually the syphon stopped, and then a small flood...and then some spousal abuse ... and then the "if this ever happens again" speach.

If you want a picture let me know..

Josh23
12-27-2002, 05:57 PM
Stir Crazy
Im also planning on adding a refuge to my tank which I would place beside my sump. Could you please explain the locations of the water levels, and the flow of water.

Thanks
Josh

StirCrazy
12-27-2002, 07:36 PM
Josh I will get a beter pic of it tonight and post it with a description of flow and such ..

Steve

StirCrazy
12-28-2002, 04:13 AM
Josh I will get a beter pic of it tonight and post it with a description of flow and such ..

Steve

well here it is

http://www.islandaquatics.ca/pictures/tank/21_25and33.jpg

you can see I have the level higher in the left tank than I do in the right.. I did this by raising the drain in the left tank.. so 1/2 of the flow from my large tank enters the left tank, then it flows through the bulkhead into the sump (the right tank) the other tube comming down is the rest of the flow from the big tank going directly to the sump.

Steve

Dorkel Marine 1
12-28-2002, 07:25 AM
Thanks Stir Crazy for the info. And yes rossb I would definetly like a picture. Thanks again.

rossb
12-28-2002, 10:43 PM
DM1 this is a composite picture

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/rossb/aqu_overflow.jpg

It has been in continuous operation for a few years so it is a bit dirty but it does the trick...(the shaft in the motor has been sheered off so the unit is useless as initially intended)

Dorkel Marine 1
12-29-2002, 12:40 AM
Thanks Rossb. My next question is could you explain more where you would drill this hole to lose the syphone if the power went out. Thanks again. Happy reefin George.

rossb
12-29-2002, 02:43 PM
The hole is drilled on the inlet. I have a U tube that hooks over the side of the tank. The hole causes a bit of air to be introduced into the aquarium...which is a good thing. If the pump stops it does not syphon the tank down to the bottom of the U shaped inlet tube...which is about 3" (and below the level of the other syphon tubes). The hole is about 3/32"
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/rossb/hoser1.jpg

Dorkel Marine 1
12-29-2002, 09:01 PM
Ok rossb I'm slowly getting the feel for this system. A little confused about the hole to stop the syphon. Is it below the water. Be patient I'm not a mechanical person. I'm thinkin that if the hole is on the intake which is taken from the lower tank wouldn't the syphon never start since its above the water. Just wonderin. Like I said a little slow. Next question is how did you drill into the aqua clear. Hole saw? I was contemplatin using another smaller aqua clear for the intake. Thanks for bearing with me so far. I appreciate your help and photos.

rossb
12-29-2002, 09:52 PM
A little confused about the hole to stop the syphon. Is it below the water.
The hole is drilled about an inch above the water line. If the pump ever stops the hole immediately stops the water in the tank from syphoning back to the lower tank.

Next question is how did you drill into the aqua clear. Hole saw?
I used a 1 1/2 inch hole saw. If you do this make sure you clamp a peice of wood behind where you are drilling the hole and realy hold onto the aquaclear unit. I used a cordless drill and it worked quite well. Also make sure you know where the water level is before you drill. If you drill too low the water level will be low in your tank. If it is too high...well its a bad thing. I think the bottom of the hole I drilled was 1/2 inch below the desired water level.

Dorkel Marine 1
12-29-2002, 10:27 PM
Your the Best rossb. I think I understand now. I will let you know how it goes. Have a great new year and thanks again. do you have pictures of your whole fresh water set up. Its sounds very interesting to see.
This is great can't wait to try it. thanks thanks thanks.

George and family. (fish family and my family)
ps. wife will be happy that I get this resolved

rossb
12-29-2002, 11:52 PM
It is hard to show in a photograph...but this is the pond. The water from the pond feeds the tomatoes...and the light is a 1000 W Mh..to make them grow well. It makes the basement the nicest room in the house
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/rossb/pond.jpg

My wife uses the term jungle a lot:D

Dorkel Marine 1
12-30-2002, 04:41 AM
Looks like a real nice place to relax. Thanks. I'm out to borrow a hole saw and get some pvc. Have a great day.
George and family.

BC_Grl
01-17-2003, 04:18 AM
Ross, this is your basement?? It looks real nice (or "sweet" as my 5 yr old sons says (funny how our vocabulary changes over the years)). What would look even better is a jacuzzi beside it! hehe
It looks like it'd be a lot of work. Great job!

rossb
01-23-2003, 04:12 PM
BC This is in fact my basement. It is difficult to tell from the picture but it has a walkout basement (the matt on the floor there is just in front of the door)...and just outside the door (mere feet away) is an outdoor hot tub.

...we refer to them as the warm blooded and cold blooded spa's