PDA

View Full Version : DIY Auot-top off in 4 steps

Mik_101
07-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Ok this might seem stupid but it works. I thought of it my self because I always have evaporation. If you guys what to make one for your self one hear are the directions.

Tools/materials: 1 gallon milk container, Sicrorcs/Knife, silicone and air line tubing

Step 1- Take your milk container a wash it with water ONLY and clean it very very well with hot water to wash out every little bits of milk and kill the smell.

Step 2- Take your sicors/ Knife and make a hole in the cap of the milk container where you what your tubing to be. I made mine right in the middle. If the hole is to big no worries.

Step 3- Insert the tubing into the milk container cap. Just about 1 cm should be in the inner part of the cap.

Step 4- Put silicone around the air line tubing and where it enters the cap so there is no leak. Don't put silicone on the thread of the cap because if you need to open the milk container to top it of with water you can.

After you are done the and the silicone is dry make sure that the cap and airline tubing is facing toward your sump so gravity can pull it down. Make sure that the end of you air line tubing is just below the water surface in your sump so now if you have the smallest amount of evaporation the DIY top off will top it off.

Midknight
07-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Ok, need pics with this. How far do you stick the tube in the jug?
Is the jug higher or lower than the tank?

Mik_101
07-19-2007, 03:02 AM
Ok will post some soon.

muck
07-19-2007, 03:33 AM
What is a "Sicrorcs" ? :confused:

Midknight
07-19-2007, 03:51 AM
What is a "Sicrorcs" ? :confused:

It be what ya use ifn' ya aint got a shotgun to shot a hole in the top of dat der lid.

andresont
07-19-2007, 04:05 AM
Hey thats good idea and will work for a small tank like 33 gal or so.
The only mode i can think of is to secure the air tubing with something like a plastic bar that will hold it in place just below water line and making a tiny hole on top part in the milk jug for better flow.
Might need some testing though.

Clown
07-20-2007, 03:11 AM
It be what ya use ifn' ya aint got a shotgun to shot a hole in the top of dat der lid.
Rofl
Nice idea for a top off thought
:mrgreen:

fkshiu
07-20-2007, 03:19 AM
Pretty much the same concept as the Kent Aquadose:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/cleaning.php?product_ID=mc-ad1400

You can always add a JG ballvalve to control drip-rate.

If you pilfer an IV dripper from a hospital the next time you get palyotoxin poisoning from fragging zoas that's just as good. Here's the gardening version from Lee Valley:

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p=45922&cat=2,2280,54307&ap=1

steva44
07-30-2007, 05:33 AM
What I do when i am on vacation or just as a top off.

20 L plastic container from my water cooler: free
3 feet of airline tubing: 1.50
a ballvalve: 4.00
refill the plastic bottle at RO H2O station 2 blocks from my house: $1.50

I put the bottle on my bucket of seasalt (so its higher then the sump) then I start a syphon from the plastic container to the sump, and set the valve so it drips a drop every second or two. l leave it behind the tank and make sure to seal off the big plastic bottle so it does not evaporate. For a few weeks you are set, as it evaporates the water drips slowly into the sump and refills it with premium water!

Paverdude
08-01-2007, 04:53 AM
"making a tiny hole on top part in the milk jug for better flow"

this would cause the whole jug to empty, not to flow only when needed

Mik_101
08-01-2007, 06:40 AM
Well he DIY off i made is crap it didn't even help just messed my SG up from 1.024-1.022 well at least i bumped it back up to 1.024

IceTurf
09-28-2007, 11:35 PM
what prevents the salt water and other water from mixing, causing diffusion?

Dale
09-29-2007, 12:40 AM
Mik, I can see three problems with your plans.

1. Silicone will not make a watertight seal when used on plastic or acrylic. A better method of attaching the airline tubing would be to drill a hole slightly smaller than the diameter of the airline tubing in the lid, cut the airline tubing at an angle and pull it thought the hole with a pair of pliers.

2. Water in two containers connected by a tube (as you've suggested) will always try to find equilibrium. There is a name for this law of physics but it escapes me at the moment. This means the water in the jug will flow non stop without concern for evaporation. As suggested, the way to slow this is by using some sort of valve to reduce the flow rate. The problem with IV type drippers for top ups is...

3. Evaporation occurs at different rates while the dripper system is constant. Two things that effect variations in evaporation rates the most are light photo periods and room temps (which go up and down if you have a programmable thermostat).

Kent sells a float valve for simple auto top offs that retails for about $30. That (and a bracket to hold it in the sump) will solve all of your problems if you're still pursuing that route.

GreenSpottedPuffer
09-29-2007, 12:46 AM
This is a great and cheap auto-top off. I wouldnt trust that one at all...

http://www.aquahub.com/store/product27.html

Dale
09-29-2007, 06:14 AM
Which one?
and why?