PDA

View Full Version : Big time cleaning magnets...worth the $$$?

Son Of Skyline
12-27-2002, 05:50 AM
Like the topic states, are these $200+ cleaning magnets really worth the price? Are they capable of removing coralline? Thanks in advance...

Aquattro
12-27-2002, 06:23 AM
Mason, I asked the same question a few months back. You should dig it up. Basically the people that had bought these magnets were very happy with them. I decided to get the Mag Float instead and I am very happy with it. And it does remove coralline also. I got the F-350 for 28.95

EmilyB
12-27-2002, 07:10 AM
I have a Mag Float in my trash bin if you want to pay shipping. :lol: Thick glass needs more.

The Magnavore (size you need varies), or pretty much any equivalent earth magnet is awesome. I found out some good ideas for the replacement pads as well.

Aquattro
12-27-2002, 10:50 AM
Deb, how thick is your glass?? Mine is 1/2" and the Mag Float is great! Never come apart yet!

StirCrazy
12-27-2002, 02:47 PM
I'll second the mag float.. I have two one for each tank and they have been sitting in the tanks for over 6 months now with out a problem

Steve

Dez
12-27-2002, 04:33 PM
I've got a Magnavore 6 and my wife can't even move it on the glass...I do have a MagFloat on the same tank for the "quick clean before company comes over".... because the Magnavore is a bit difficult to move.... It's great though...

Des

Bob I
12-27-2002, 05:10 PM
I have a Mag Float in my trash bin if you want to pay shipping. :lol: Thick glass needs more.

No problem with shipping, I would be happy to pick it up. I only have 1/4 inch glass, and I have trouble with a hard green algae. :D

sumpfinfishe
12-27-2002, 06:31 PM
I have a piranna rare earth in mine, and if I don't eat my wheaties there's no moving it! Great mag, and also comes with replacement pads :!:

EmilyB
12-27-2002, 06:57 PM
It would never do the hard algae, even when it was new Bob. The pads only lasted a short while as well. I ended up chucking it when I bought the magnavores.

It is 1/2" Brad. :? I wonder if the bowfront had something to do with it.

Bob I
12-27-2002, 07:32 PM
It would never do the hard algae, even when it was new Bob. The pads only lasted a short while as well. I ended up chucking it when I bought the magnavores.

Okay then, what is a Magnavore, and where can I get one. :?:

Son Of Skyline
12-27-2002, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone! I think I'll invest in one in the near future :)

EmilyB
12-27-2002, 10:56 PM
Okay then, what is a Magnavore, and where can I get one. :?:

Brace yourself... (http://www.magnavore.com/magnets.html)

All the ones using rare earth magnets are probably pretty much the same, so I would shop around a bit. Maybe a person could even make them somehow using the actual magnets ?? (http://www.wondermagnet.com/dev/magnets.html)

I use velcro and furniture floor protector felt for replacement pads now. (It's a bit thick so depends on magnet strength if you could use it, but lasts a long time)

rossb
12-27-2002, 11:06 PM
EmilyB the rare earth magnets are available at both Lee Valley and House of Tools. They come in a few sizes and the idea is intriguing. One would need a metal plate encased in plastic/silicon for the inside...and the outside magnets could be set in plastic...

I use these magnets in my shop to hold dust colection things together and they are powerful. I am assuming the felt is for the outside ... for the inside could you use the 3M green scouring pads? I just might have to try that... :idea: :?

StirCrazy
12-27-2002, 11:21 PM
hmmm looks like them magnets you are using are made of ABS

"External half magnet is a 4.0" x 2.75" injection molded ABS shell "

you sure you want to use that in your tank Emily :shock: :wink:

Steve

EmilyB
12-27-2002, 11:27 PM
SEWER PIPE MAGNETS :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

I don't know about the scouring pads Ross, velcro just sticks on, so you can easily peel it off and replace it, as does the felt.

rossb
12-28-2002, 12:17 AM
So if a guy was going to make them... and he had some old battery powered robots...and knew a bit about electronics...self cleaning magnets?? in fact self-cleaning SEWER PIPE MAGNETS

Shadetree
12-28-2002, 12:24 AM
I have the Tiger Shark from Algae free and it is worth every penny. It works very well on my 5/8" glass.

Scott

EmilyB
12-28-2002, 01:27 AM
....it's catchy Ross....... :lol: