PDA

View Full Version : Is my epoxy defective, or is it just me?

michika
07-18-2007, 12:59 AM
Yesterday I picked up a stick of epoxy. Today I cracked open the package, cut off a chunk and mixed it to the prescribed color. I followed the package instructions, and now after an hour, it still hasn't taken.

Its been about 2 years since I've used this stuff, so I'm assuming I've done something wrong. Yet at the same time I'm curious as to if epoxy can be defective, or stale to the point where its no longer usable?

I moulded the epoxy around an area of rock, and then pushed in my SPS frag. The epoxy never bonded to the rock, it made more of a mould of the rock surface. I didn't touch the frag as its fragile enough.

So what did I do wrong, and how can I make epoxy be my friend again?

christyf5
07-18-2007, 01:24 AM
Which brand of epoxy was it?

michika
07-18-2007, 02:18 AM
It was Holdfast, by Marineland.

On a curious note, this brand isn't as stinky as the other's I've used before. Does the smell correlate with effectiveness?

Scavenger
07-18-2007, 02:23 AM
In my experience, the epoxy never bonds to the rocks. It's by making the epoxy fill into nooks and crannys so that it bonds to itself with anchors in the holes of the rocks that makes it stick. Hope my 2 cents made sense.

andresont
07-18-2007, 02:57 AM
I am using Tunze epoxy from J&L bonds, holds and easy to remove.
One pack i bought over two years ago still ok.

michika
07-18-2007, 03:28 AM
Is anyone else's epoxy boyant?

I crammed my stuff into the rock as much as I could, and later it kind of just floated off. Very odd....

Jason McK
07-18-2007, 03:37 AM
The stuff never works for me. I've had entire colonys held in place for 6-8 months they the epoxy fails with no outside influence and crash.

I now use epoxy to hold the frag then I use some of OA's super glue to glue the epoxy to the rock. Works very well

J

michika
07-18-2007, 03:45 AM
Jason,

So your saying you superglue the frag to the rock, then pack or epoxy around it? Or are you saying that you epoxy the frag, then superglue the epoxy to the rock with superglue?

Can cyanoacrylate (sp?) be used underwater? I feel funny admitting that I've never epoxied, or glued frags to actual rock, other then rubble...

fishface
07-18-2007, 04:13 AM
i also use superglue gel, after a short amount of time the frag will actually grow onto the rock and make it a much more permanent attachment. as for the epoxy, i tend to heat it up under hot tap water and knead it with my fingers till it's nice and soft...hot water help make it more pliable. same thing with epoxy too though, eventually if all goes well the coral will encrust over the epoxy and onto the rock. good luck!

Jason McK
07-18-2007, 04:19 AM
I use epoxy to mold the frag so that it will fit were I want it. then add super glue to the epoxy to hold it in the rock. I do squish it so both the epoxy and the super glue are "glueing" the frag to the rock

J

michika
07-18-2007, 04:33 AM
So when you guys use superglue how do you go about it? A step by step guide would be nice if you don't mind.

Normally I pull the frag out of the water, put it in a dish of tank water. Then I glue it to a peice of rubble, and after that I put it all back in the tank. I've never actually glued anything in the actual tank.

Der_Iron_Chef
07-18-2007, 04:36 AM
Yeah, my epoxy kinda sucks, too. I've been considering going the superglue route, but like you....not quite sure how you do it directly in the tank.

*following along*

skylord
07-18-2007, 05:06 AM
I also use a bowl to put the frags in while getting everything else ready. If I'm using live rock to glue to, I try to dry the area the glue will be real good. Put a drop or two of glue on the rock them place the frag on the glue. I let the glue dry for a few seconds then slowly add it back into the bowl of water. You want to add the frag back into the water slowly because you can burn the frag. Water acts as an accelerator and speeds the curing process which can generate a great deal of heat. You cant use the glue under or in water.

Scott

michika
07-18-2007, 05:25 AM
I need a method to attach my corals in my display tank. Taking the rocks out isn't an option. I can't drill anything for the same reasons. I used to attach all my frags to rock rubble, but I can't not fasten them down anymore, I just have too many.

Can you think of any other options?

Mik_101
07-18-2007, 06:36 AM
Im not to crazy about marineland because I dont think her stuff is the best.

Static
07-18-2007, 06:42 AM
I usually use a blob of epoxy and try to mold it into a crack or hole in the rock. stick the frag in and let it harden. sometimes this is enough, but sometimes the epoxy just isn't stuck to the rock. I have yet to have a frag that isn't stuck in the epoxy by the time it's hard. Anyway the ones that don't stick, I pull the frag out and put superglue on the bottom of the epoxy (that's now perfectly molded to the shape of my rocks).

When using Super glue remember that the catalyst is water, so it will immediately skin over when you immerse it in water. Your blobs have to be large enough so that when you squish it against a rock it will either form into the pores of the rock, or break the skin on the glue, preferably both.

Mik_101
07-18-2007, 06:49 AM
Well i never used epoxsy or anything to glue frags on what would you orefer epoxsy or reef glue??

michika
07-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Your blobs have to be large enough so that when you squish it against a rock it will either form into the pores of the rock, or break the skin on the glue, preferably both.

I'll definitely be sure to try this method later today when I attempt to mount up more frags.

muck
07-18-2007, 03:48 PM
Your blobs have to be large enough so that when you squish it against a rock it will either form into the pores of the rock, or break the skin on the glue, preferably both.

I use this method as well and it works great for me. I do find that it is easier (read less mess) using superglue Gel. If you are using regular thick superglue apply generously to the bottom of the frag (or frag plug) and make sure when it enters your tank the glue is facing up and the frag facing down. When it skins over it won't cover half of your frag with glue that way.

michika
07-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Cool! Thanks.

I'm now really excited to get home and try this out.