PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Waterpond
07-17-2007, 03:09 PM
Well, i don't know if i am posting in the right spot but i guess someone can move this if it belongs somewhere else.

I am brand new to saltwater, but after keeping freshwater tanks my whole life of 16 years and getting pretty much all i can out of freshwater i decided to go salty.

I started out with a nano. Just a 20gallon tank i had laying around

It has 130w CF coralife lighting
24 lbs of live rock/base rock
aragonite sand
I got my frist fish a couple of days ago too, a little ocellaris clownfish.

Anyways, i will be posting lots of pics and stuff in the appropriate forums. I've aready found awsome info here. I will make good use of your classifieds forums too because im looking for corals. :biggrin:

muck
07-17-2007, 03:16 PM
Welcome to Canreef WP.

michika
07-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Welcome to the board.

Chaloupa
07-17-2007, 03:58 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/welcome.gif Where are you located?

digital-audiophile
07-17-2007, 04:01 PM
Maerine tanks are so much more rewarding than their freshwater cousins.

Congrats on the switch :)

christyf5
07-17-2007, 04:34 PM
Welcome :biggrin:

Waterpond
07-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Where are you located?

Just outside of Sarnia, ontario.

Thanks for the welcomes. I don't know if you gays are like me and love to see pics, but i will get some posted soon.

bv_reefer
07-17-2007, 06:13 PM
Maerine tanks are so much more rewarding than their freshwater cousins.

Congrats on the switch :) -it's true marine tanks are definitely somethin' else! definitely harder 2 maintain but a much grander scale of aquatic life 2 add. -and who doesn't like corals?? like seriously, there about as nice as marine tanks can offer.

Waterpond
07-17-2007, 06:20 PM
That is the maon reason why i wanted to go salt.

Fresh is nice but there is only a limited amoutn of things you can do with it. I've grown aquatic plants, bred all types of fish, kept all types of fish from different placers of the world.

I still have about 10 freshwater tanks up and running, but it was time for something a little more challenging.

Im am looking forward to finish stocking this tank, get some more corals, and watch as it develops.

bv_reefer
07-17-2007, 06:30 PM
-so did ya make up ya mind about what kinda corals ur gonna try 2 grow?
sps,lps,softies,polyps,zoa's? -anyway good luck on the set-up.

Waterpond
07-17-2007, 06:38 PM
I really want mushrooms,

I have one tyoe of mushroom coral right now.

I also have a small mushroom leather coral. I definately want zoas and polyps. I also really want frogspawn, but i cant afford it, im on the lookout for a small frag of it.

Here are some pics:

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/WaterPond/saltwatertank_july15002.jpg

mushroom leather coral
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/WaterPond/saltwatertank_july14005.jpg

Cassius the clownfish
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/WaterPond/saltwatertank_july14004.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/WaterPond/saltwatertank_july14001.jpg

I bought some chaeto because i read that if you dont have a proper fuge you will get high nitrates. Im quite happy with the rockwork and everything, i wont be changing anything except for the location of the chaeto because it is growing wild on me.

michika
07-17-2007, 07:15 PM
I think your tank looks great!
If you macro algae is growing its a good thing, it means its taking out the phosphates and nitrates from your water. If you decide to prune it I'm sure you could sell it or trade it with some other reefers, possibly even for that frogspawn you want.

Renegade
07-17-2007, 07:20 PM
if your planning on a reef you may want to invest in some live rock, it looks like your using base rock, that will not have the same "critters" that you want from live rock in order to establish a stable tank.

Kyle

Waterpond
07-17-2007, 07:23 PM
actually, i have 9 lbs of live rock and close to 15lbs of base rock.

bv_reefer
07-17-2007, 07:25 PM
-thats about how much live rock i'll have when i'm done but until then i'll just have 2 settle with 30 pounds for my 33-gallon...by the way can u achieve the same coralline growth and life on base rock, cuz i've heard that ur supposed 2 use mostly live rock?

Waterpond
07-17-2007, 07:26 PM
Many different websites told my that was perfectly fine, i cant add more now, enless i can find cured rock.

Delphinus
07-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Just outside of Sarnia, ontario.

Sweet - you are right across the river (well.. I guess, "across the river and a slight drive down to Romulus") from Dick Perrin's operation "Tropicorium". Have you ever been? If not - check it out some weekend when you have a few hours to make the drive, it's well worth seeing. At least it was when I first saw it, although I guess that was a long time ago now.

Welcome to Canreef btw :)

Waterpond
07-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Sweet - you are right across the river (well.. I guess, "across the river and a slight drive down to Romulus") from Dick Perrin's operation "Tropicorium". Have you ever been? If not - check it out some weekend when you have a few hours to make the drive, it's well worth seeing. At least it was when I first saw it, although I guess that was a long time ago now.

Welcome to Canreef btw :)

That sounds really interesting, do you have any info on it, what exactly is it?

Delphinus
07-17-2007, 09:37 PM
Basically a coral wholesaler / coral propagator. The storefront is really just a gigantic greenhouse on his residence. He's been around forever, so he's sort of in the same category as folks like Julian Sprung, Anthony Calfo, etc.

Basically think of it as "The Mother Of All LFS's" :lol: - greenhouse after greenhouse with tank after tank full of stuff to buy. :)

Problem is as Canadians we can't really legally buy from him (and carry the stuff over the border). But, it's still neat to see. I'm sure that folks probably do buy the occasional thing from him and drive back, but, I've never tried this so do check into it before trying it yourself. Fish, and soft corals are typically not CITES protected so there shouldn't be an issue bringing any of those across, but live rock, stony corals and clams you should technically have a CITES import permit. Like I said though I haven't tried it, there might be others in your area who have though and could advise you better than I could.

Like I said though, if nothing else it's worth going there just to see such a large scale operation. It's jaw dropping and will likely give you tonnes of ideas to try for the hobby. Plus you can get books and dry goods and stuff.

Delphinus
07-17-2007, 09:40 PM
Guess I should include their website - www.tropicorium.com - it's not the best designed site but the pictures should give you sort of an idea what they're all about :)

Chaloupa
07-17-2007, 11:47 PM
there are also TONS of SW people in Ontario (Ok a bit of a broad statement as Ontario is fairly large......:redface:) and I have purchased many corals from different people in Ontario....too bad you weren't here (or closer) and I could frag a frogspawn for ya.

Mik_101
07-17-2007, 11:56 PM
Hey welcome to canreef.

First of all.Rely nice and clean set up
secondly. Any plans on upgrading to a larger system?

Waterpond
07-18-2007, 01:38 AM
secondly. Any plans on upgrading to a larger system?

no, this is as big as it gets for me. Te setup this tank i had to take down three freshwater tanks, to setup a larger SW tank my parents would make me get rid of all my freshwater tanks which i am truly not willing to do. I know nanos are frowned upon when starting out, but i have done my research, and know my stuff fairly well.

and Delphinus, thanks for the info. I have snuck freshwater fish over the border, but im not sure if i would be willing to risk it with SW fish and corals because they are so much more expensive.

Thank you for all the warm welcomes.:biggrin:

Mik_101
07-18-2007, 07:17 AM
oh well what can you do.
My dream tank is a 200 g and that ain't happening till i get in at long shore.