PDA

View Full Version : need to reinforce stand?

findingnemo1
07-17-2007, 04:00 AM
Hi there.

I built a stand for my 90 not that long ago. I used the idea of the metal stands you can buy that are pretty much just holding the perimeter of the tank. Now the stand is made by 2 2/4's stacked on top of each other width wise and then 2/4's everywhere else.. I then have steel bars going around the back just under and beside the 2/4's/ The only thing i didn't do was put a piece of plywood under the tank. Now thinking i am a little worried. It does have the foam piece but really i am relying on the outside of the stand. Pretty much it looks like a metal stand with wood.

Should i be worried the bottom of the tank is going to crack and cave in?

bv_reefer
07-17-2007, 07:36 PM
-well for my 33-gallon i used my oak dresser, and some ppl told me that i might wanna reinforce while others said don't worry it's a hardwood, so @ the end I didn't reinforce it. mind u mines a hard wood very stable and sturdy and didn't have any problems yet. some guy who builds houses, suggested putting 2 cross bars in an (X) formation behind the tank and then drilling in2 the framing for extra reinforcement, but I didn't and mines fine.

bv_reefer
07-17-2007, 07:38 PM
-also another thing 2 keep in mind iz they say 2 avoid stands with a center point, or in ither words when it stands on 2 legs/blocks and has a space in the middle,that's when u might have a problem!