PDA

View Full Version : Missing Wrasse

Josh23
12-27-2002, 12:43 AM
I just puchased a healthy little Six Line Wrasse from Big Als Boxing Day sale and brought him home. He was aclimatized for 2 hours and released which turns out to be the last time I saw him. (2 pm)

He is living with one oclarious clown, coral beauty, Bangaai cardinal in a 50 gallon tank.

I had read that they like to hid and that you dont often see them but this is a little extreme. Is it possible he is just hidding as he was just added or should I be concerned. To make things wose I just feed them there daily meal and he didnt come out at all.

Any help would be great
thanks
Josh

naesco
12-27-2002, 01:59 AM
This is normal.
He may hide for several days.
Make sure there is absolutely no way the fish can jump out of the tank as these fish are jumpers.

Josh23
12-27-2002, 02:03 AM
For those of you who keep wrasses, What do you feed them?
Josh.

PS Im currently working on adding a couple more sections of glass top to some what restrict his jumping abilities.

Josh

Bob I
12-27-2002, 03:17 AM
For those of you who keep wrasses, What do you feed them?
Josh.
Josh

Don't worry about the feeding, he will eat what the other fish eat. They are funny fish. They are also great pod hunters. I bought one once, and he went into hiding. I never saw him again until I found the body. The one I have now never hid, and has never givem a problem. 8)

Josh23
12-27-2002, 04:35 AM
The wrasse I bought seemed to be in good health.
He was fat and breathing normally so I hope all goes well and he turns up soon. Where did you buy your wrasse from Bob

One_Divided
12-27-2002, 06:51 AM
He's probably surrounded himself in a mucus cacoon for a while and will probably return shortly.. Most of them do that at night when they sleep. 6 lines can do fine with no prepared foods at all in a healthy system.. They'll eat pods all day.. One of my favourite fish!

Josh23
12-27-2002, 05:45 PM
This morning I found him out and about. Looks ok.
Thanks for all your feedback.
Josh

Bob I
12-27-2002, 06:21 PM
He's probably surrounded himself in a mucus cacoon for a while and will probably return shortly.. Most of them do that at night when they sleep.

Not to question your vast knowledge, but are you certain six lines do that? I know my Cleaner Wrasse used to do that, because every morning there was a cocoon floating around. He no longer does that, and I never saw a floating cocoon after I got my six line. :?:

sumpfinfishe
12-27-2002, 06:28 PM
Hey Josh :cry: , no worries as your new six-line is probably chill'n out for a few days. I have one in my 27gl along with two skunks and two watchmens and it took three days for him to build up the nerve to come out of hiding. Now he swims about the tank freely eating pods and worms all day long, he will also eat brine and spirulina flake like the the other fish. Yesterday I picked up two barnackle blennies from J&L's sale and one is in his barnackle and the other is gone-he has simply gone into hiding for awhile like your six-line! Happy New Year everyone! :D