PDA

View Full Version : Rookie sump question...

jasond
07-16-2007, 03:15 AM
Hello all, my first post here on canreef. Great site, lots of excellent info!

Currently I am running a 20gallon with about 20 lbs of LR, couple softies, and a couple small fish/invertebrate. Seems to be going not too bad, however after 4 months, already have the itch for a bigger tank (should have known!)

Here is my sump question. I will probably upgrade to a 50-60G tank, with sump and maybe refugium. I am thinking I would use my current 20G for my sump as I am told this should be sufficient. What I am curious about, is why, from what I have read, do people not seem to use filters (such as the fluval), with a sump? I realise you can, but people dont really. Do you put carbon in the sump, or don't use carbon at all? Same with phosphate removal media? So for starters, sump would contain Protein skimmer, LR, heater & UV? What else?

I have dont lots of searching, and there seems to be no perfect way of doing it, just looking for some opinions!

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Clown
07-16-2007, 04:02 AM
Uhh...
Iv got a bag of phosphate remover protein skimmer mangrove pods (3)
some cheeto (Spelling?) and lots more macro algae a very very very fine
filter pad (high high high thread count) Cant remember the name,
A large Sponge filter some crabs (all kinds) And thats in about a 20 sump
All for my 30g tank
Oh and i set up a auto top off so i dont have to keep filling it

Kronk
07-16-2007, 04:24 AM
People dont use filters because they can turn into "nitrate factories" (i have seen that term a million times) basically if you dont change the filter pad constantly it wont do any good for your tank.

As to what to put in it depends what you want it for... a sump is really just to hide pumps heaters and other equipment as well as increase the overall water volume. A refugium is where you want your macro algae and ammonia reducing critters. They serve different puposes and have different needs, a fuge should have low flow, a sump should have high flow if you have your heater in it. Best thing is divide your 20g into two or three compartments with different flow.

Check out www.nanoreef.com (http://www.nanoreef.com) its a great site tons of info and great for using the search function

Cheers,
Ken

jasond
07-16-2007, 04:49 AM
Sounds good, thanks for the link! I will have to watch my nitrates till I get the new one up, but they seem to be in check, I have been as on top of the maintenance as possible.

Thanks again!

Any others???

Doug
07-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Welcome to Canreef.

If your running a sump, then power or canister filters are not needed. Although many use specialized units that hold the media and pump water through them. I just put mine in a separate place in the sump. Some figure passive use is enough and others follow the theory that water must be passed through the media.