PDA

View Full Version : Mangrove pod, plus mangrove "refugium"

Delphinus
07-15-2007, 08:39 PM
I have one (presumably) viable mangrove pod, no leaves. Bought it a couple months ago at Elite, seems still viable but hasn't started any new growth.

I also have a 8g Kent bucket that I grow my mangroves in (well .. just the one I have left anyhow) .. holds about 60lbs sugar-sized aragonite sand (I would say "approx. 60lbs." because I used 2 30-lbs bags of the sand to fill the bucket .. you get whatever is left in there, some might have washed away, but most of it is there). It was "Saltwaterconnection" brand sand, I think Jayson just rebranded some Caribsea sand, it's basically the same stuff. The bucket has a 1.75" uniseal (curved bulkead) and I have 1" PVC to drain back into the sump.

The pod cost $15, the sand was like $30 per bag I think, the uniseal was a couple bucks ...

How about $10 for anyone who wants to try growing mangroves ... Or trade for something .. make me an offer :)

Zoaelite
07-15-2007, 09:12 PM
Wow :) Never grown Mangroves before. Sorry if this is a fairly Newbie Question but do they basicly aid a Saltwater fish tank in the way Macro Algae works? Or are they just ornamental? Also what Area of Calgary do you live in?
Levi

Delphinus
07-15-2007, 09:37 PM
Well, supposedly they do help in the same way, but in my experience they grow so slow such that the nutrient uptake is probably pretty small, which makes them more ornamental in my opinion. I think to have a noticeable effect you need a larger number of them (at least more than one or two).

The only one I have right now is a seed pod (ie. no leaves, no new growths). They seem to take forever to want to grow, I suspect that they grow slower in SW than they do in FW. They need to be spray misted with FW on a regular basis (I do it every day) to wash away any salt creep. (They reason they can live in SW is that they can actually "sweat" the salt out after sucking out the water, but the salt needs to be washed off otherwise the plant will burn.)

I'm down in Evergreen (SW).

michika
07-15-2007, 09:42 PM
Try this article for more information:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/ac/feature/index.php

andresont
07-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Nice article !
How about growing them instead of Chinese bamboo somewhere on the window.?

justinl
07-15-2007, 10:36 PM
i have four mangrove pods and i think tony is on the right track. I doubt the pods actually do much without larger numbers, but it has been proven that once the trees mature (like a foot long with a few branches and leaves) the effect they have on water quality is noticeable.

btw, even as an ornamental thing, it can still look great. eventually i want to have one big mangrove tree sticking out of my tank.

michika
07-15-2007, 10:43 PM
I want to have a few of them growing on sides of my next tank. Mine aren't that big yet, probably 1ft in length, but I do notice they deplete my magnesium a bit, but when they weren't in my nano, I noticed that my water wasn't as clear, and the water I changed out was more "yellow". For me the changes are subtle, but noticable.

Delphinus
07-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Ok guess there's no interest in this. Bummer.

Anyone want the mangrove pod then? For free? Well, how about a trade for something nominal? Like an Tim Horton's Icecap? The sand and bucket I don't really feel THAT bad about sending to the landfill, but I have trouble with sending living things off like that. Can someone take it off my hands?

albert_dao
07-19-2007, 05:10 PM
Hey Tony, I'll take it, I'll pay you the $10 too. PM me with your phone number and we'll get the ball rolling.

michika
07-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Let me know if you can't make a deal with Albert. I'll try and pick it up on my next trip down, next weekend.