PDA

View Full Version : Small fish trap

andresont
07-13-2007, 08:13 AM
Want to get "sweet" Lemon Peel angel out of my reef tank but can't find a trap...
Do you guys know where to by proper size acrilic to make one or any of you have leftovers ?
THX

Justusfish
07-13-2007, 01:19 PM
I used a large coke bottle with the top inverted and caught a couple fish that way. It worked amazingly well.

Jason McK
07-13-2007, 03:01 PM
OA sells a arge fish trap. I have used one and they work great.

J

justinl
07-13-2007, 04:40 PM
you could search any place that sells acrylic (glass/plastic suppliers) and they would probably let you rumage around in the junk bin for scrap pieces for free or at least very cheap.

andresont
07-13-2007, 09:17 PM
you could search any place that sells acrylic (glass/plastic suppliers) and they would probably let you rumage around in the junk bin for scrap pieces for free or at least very cheap.

Can you tell me where these are? never bought acrylic before.
thx

andresont
07-13-2007, 09:20 PM
I used a large coke bottle with the top inverted and caught a couple fish that way. It worked amazingly well.
That may be a good idea to try, how do you keep this bottle on the bottom ?
I have a lot of flow and waves should i put some sand in it ?

justinl
07-13-2007, 09:31 PM
when i made my bottle trap (for my mantis) i used an elastic band around the whole thing and attached a piece of LR to it... just enough to make it sink. I also tied a piece of fishing line around the trap so i could remove it without submerging my entire arm.

I went to a place in richmond called "industrial plastics and paints". there are other places though. they have a location in poco as well.

andresont
07-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Thanks guys !

Justusfish
07-13-2007, 11:32 PM
The bottle took me longer to make than to catch the fish. It worked amazingly well. My sailfin tang even managed to wedge its way in there, the greedy monster! And he's big! Finally the bird wrassed got in there. He was much more wary. But a crustacean intrigued him enough.

surgeonfish
07-16-2007, 06:15 AM
Just a thought - ever thought of using a hook? I have caught several fish without any problems and minimal stress to the fish. However, I have never tried a hook a butterfly fish.