PDA

View Full Version : Petland

Troy F
08-15-2001, 05:09 PM
Not to get off on a rant or anything but...it is like Auschwitz for corals and fish. I went there against my better judgement today and unfortunately most things haven't changed. There are some nice corals in there which surprised me but they still haven't figured out that anemones, specifically the Pacific host anemones need light and feeding to survive.

With such good stores as J&L Aquatics and Animal House around, I'm amazed anyone would buy livestock there. I'd call for a boycott but I'm afraid that might be slanderous or libelous so by all means keep shopping there, if you don't mind supporting the worst death camp north of the 49th parallel.

farmerjo90
08-15-2001, 06:53 PM
hi Troy, You will happy to know that they are already boycotting Petland on IMOM.ORG have a look and fill your boots.

farmerjo

Troy F
08-15-2001, 07:10 PM
Thanks farmerjo. Places like that scare me though. Can't there just be a happy medium out there?

SuperFudge
08-15-2001, 11:14 PM
I agree 100% Troy,

I was discusted a while back when i entered the store....Death was all i saw before i made B-line for the exit doors!

Stick with Animal House,I havent seen better!
(Freebies for Plugs Dale?) images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Marc.

titus
08-15-2001, 11:41 PM
Hello,

Man, where is this place? I gotta go see. It can't be really that bad, can it?

Titus

Acro
08-16-2001, 04:19 AM
it's in langley, yeah i would have to say it is a store that is not worth visiting. When one goes into a food store to buy fruit the store does not grow them they just sell them well same idea with some pet stores but I think some tend to forget corals are animals.

canadawest
08-16-2001, 11:05 AM
Petland is in Langley (Fraser Highway & 194th near Willowbrook) It's in a strip mall on the left hand side if you're coming from Surrey.

When I was just getting into the hobby (before I had a tank setup) I would go see them for info and pricing. While they have a fairly knowledgable young guy there (cant remember his name now, but he was studying Marine Sciences at UBC) their prices were always higher than other places, and their livestock was pretty pathetic. I can't recall even seeing corals in there, but then again I was still setting up and hadn't really considered corals yet.

I do remember seeing the most disgustingly filthly "display" tank there, and decided that I would never buy livestock from a place that doesn't even do maintenance on their own systems.

I haven't been back since. (Feb'01) Thank God I found DaleD and Animal House, and John and Allen at J&L Aquatics. And some thanks to Nick and Jamie at Fishworld in Delta for some of the dry goods when I started. (Except for the recommendation to use CC for a sandbed, grrrr)

BCReefer
08-25-2001, 02:23 AM
I have had fresh water fish for 3 years and I hardly have any problems, but everytime I add a fish from Petland it would almost always kill a fish that I had in the tank for several months or even a year. Yes I did go through the whole process to ensure that when I added the new fish, that it was safe. I kept thinking that it was something with the water, but I just couldn't find out what was wrong. I might buy some frozen food or other stuff from PL but never any of my Marine Animals.

As I am new to this forum I just wanted to say that it is great to see this in Vancouver. I have been using reefs.org for the last few weeks but it never had the local info that I was looking for. Looking forward to when you start the meetings. I have so many questions and so little time.

[ 24 August 2001: Message edited by: BCReefer ]