PDA

View Full Version : -uv Stop!!??

bv_reefer
07-13-2007, 04:31 AM
-Ok I got a 33-gallon that i'm plannin 2 start cyclin' next week and need 2 know what UV STOP means!

-It's been buggin' me for quite a while now because every1 says that double-ended hqi bulbs like mine need a 3mm sheet of glass covering them 2 block out the harmful uv rays that they emit, that can trouble the skin of fish.

-So the main question iz...IF I HAVE ''UV STOP'' LABELED ON MY
DOUBLE-ENDED BULBS DOES THAT MEEN THAT I STILL NEED GLASS? OR DOES THAT BLOCK OUT ALL THE HARMFUL AMOUNTS OF UV RADIATION BY IT'S SELF LIKE SINGLE-ENDED BULBS DO???

Bryan
07-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Good question, I suspect the term "UV STOP" is a translation that actually means UV Caution. The only DE bulbs that I am aware of that have built in UV protection are the latest Iwasaki DE bulbs discussed on RC . Unless you have expensive test equipment to test the UV level, better play it safe and use a protective layer glass. Will protect your bulbs from splash in any event.

christyf5
07-13-2007, 02:32 PM
I agree with Bryan. Sometimes the translations on these things aren't exactly top notch. I would use glass on a DE bulb no matter what.

bv_reefer
07-15-2007, 04:28 AM
-thanks but i won't have any corals or fish for a month so do u think it'll effect anything in a bad way during the cycling period, like small inverts and benificial bacteria?

theredben
07-16-2007, 03:42 AM
Unless you are hanging your MH lights several feet above the tank( and like taking risks), glass sheets are a good idea to prevent splashes of water from exploding the MH tubes.

christyf5
07-16-2007, 04:24 AM
-thanks but i won't have any corals or fish for a month so do u think it'll effect anything in a bad way during the cycling period, like small inverts and benificial bacteria?

Yes you'll be exposing everything in the tank to potentially lethal levels of UV light. I wouldn't imagine that much will survive.

Mik_101
07-16-2007, 04:34 AM
Should he get a uv sterilizer?

bv_reefer
07-16-2007, 06:35 AM
-uv sterilizers are for killing unwanted micro-organisms and bacteria, and
has nothing 2 do with blocking high amounts of uv radiation. But I still wouldn't mind investing in 1, in another 5-6 months...