PDA

View Full Version : Disaster struck my tank!

fatpuffer
07-12-2007, 03:45 PM
It actually happened a few days back. Just did not have the motivation to post it.

Well, I did a water change...nothing out of the ordinary. 15 min. later...I noticed all of my fish are on their sides. I dont know what I did wrong. I did not change a thing. The salinity, temp, treated water, etc. all the same. I tried to do more water change and put is some carbon...no help.

Most of my fish are dead! I have two clowns left. I am glad at least one of my older fish survived. This hobby gets so frustrating sometimes. I just feel like throwing in the towel few days ago when it happened. Now I think the tank is back to normal. The clowns that were lying on their sides happily swimming around. AND my only snail actually survived as well. Did not seem to bother him at all.

I think I will just turn this tank to clownfish/damsel tank. So if anybody is looking to get rid of damsels or clownfish, send me a PM with the price and location.

THANKS FOR LISTENING TO ME VENT!

Js

christyf5
07-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Yikes that totally sucks.

Are you sure you put the salt in? Seems really weird. Even weirder that your snail survived.

Just wondering.:biggrin:

fatpuffer
07-12-2007, 03:59 PM
LOL. I put the same amount of salt as I always do. I change the water weekly...about 33 percent. I still can't figure out how it happened.

Js

christyf5
07-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Sorry, I had to ask :razz:

Thats just crazy. I wonder if maybe it was a pH thing. Do you use RODI or tap? What did you "treat" the water with?

fatpuffer
07-12-2007, 04:03 PM
It just a FOWLR tank so I just use regular tap water. I used prime to treat the water. I also did water change the day before for my freshwater and they are fine. I have been using tap water since I started this FOWLR tank and no casualties...well til now.

Js

christyf5
07-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Too much prime maybe? I know people have had probs with that stuff in the past.

Weird that you'd just done a waterchange recently with no problems though.

This hobby is just weird sometimes :razz:

fatpuffer
07-12-2007, 04:07 PM
I used the same amount I always do. I dont think its prime. BUT you are right this hobby is weird and frustrating at times. For now I will just go with the clownfish and maybe a few damsels (still looking for damsels though...lol).

Js

Delphinus
07-12-2007, 04:08 PM
That's horrible! I'm so sorry.

What other animals do you have? The reason I ask is.. this has happened to me a few times (ie. a tank full of dead fish), it turns out it was my anemone. There are other creatures too that are capable of downing a tank like that, if distressed, injured or killed.

Scavenger
07-12-2007, 04:10 PM
You stated you are using tap water, I've heard of cases where the local water department will boost the chorine,chloromine or other purifiers heavily. esp in hotter weather to reduce algaes ect.

Just a thought.

fatpuffer
07-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Delphinus: I just had fish and no inverts in the tank. The flame angel, my fugu (the nicest most calm puffer), and my royal gramma were the casualties.

Scavenger: I have not heard of any increase in water conditioning in Red Deer. Usually happens during the spring due to run-offs. Also my freshwater also had some water change (50 percent) with no ill effects.

Js

danny zubot
07-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Just read this thread and my first instinct tells me that your puffer did this. How did it's body look when you noticed this disaster?

bv_reefer
07-12-2007, 06:52 PM
i'm just wondering, if that might 2 much of a water change??
Isn't it like @ 10-15%, but then again do u have a skimmer??

Mik_101
07-12-2007, 06:59 PM
i'm just wondering, if that might 2 much of a water change??
Isn't it like @ 10-15%, but then again do u have a skimmer??

Ya im with bv)reefer I think 33% is a bit to much.

hawk
07-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Just read this thread and my first instinct tells me that your puffer did this. How did it's body look when you noticed this disaster?

Me too. Unless there is something obvious with the source water or accidental poisoning with household cleaners, I would really consider the puffer as a possible cause.

bv_reefer
07-12-2007, 07:28 PM
i donno about puffers but I know that boxfish are quite poisonous for inhabitants and owners alike when stressed or when they die, so jsut take that into consideration.

fkshiu
07-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Another vote for the puffer as the culprit.

A 1/3 water change is not a huge amount by any means.

Moogled
07-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Seconded.

33% is not alot when you take into account the water that's displaced by all the LR as well.

Salmon King
07-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Check your alkalinity.It happened to me years ago.It was the salt

bv_reefer
07-12-2007, 09:36 PM
-as in salt u meen that ur specific gravity waz 2 high? or that the salt
was contaminated??

crystalz
07-12-2007, 10:16 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your tank. I had problems with ph 'swing' and ammonia readings in my first tank (29gal nano). They said it couldn't be done but I killed two false percs... testing your tap water with the kits may give you an unexpected answer to your problem. I found out that edmonton water has a fair amount of ammonia reading and somewhat low ph. After mixing water I found that some of the dosing (ph buffer and prime) was not enough. I've had much better success since I started testing my water change water. How much prime is too much? The bottle says 5ml per 50 gal but I use about 7-8ml per 25 gal.

Midknight
07-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Also, are you the only other person in the house?
If not someone might have used your water bucket for some thing else that you didn't know about.

Snappy
07-13-2007, 03:19 AM
I used the same amount I always do. I dont think its prime. BUT you are right this hobby is weird and frustrating at times. For now I will just go with the clownfish and maybe a few damsels (still looking for damsels though...lol).

Js
If you can catch my damsels without wrecking my display you're welcome to the little buggers. (free)

fatpuffer
07-13-2007, 06:11 AM
I dont think its the puffer. The puffer looked great even when dead. No slime or anything. I dont think this puffer release any toxin. Only when eating the puffer they become dangerous, as far as I know. Something about the toxin in the glands of fugu puffers.

As for the water change...I have been doing 33 percent for well over a year with no ill effects.

I think my arm might have been contaminated. I washed my hand and forearm below the elbow really well prior to changing the water but I had to reach in the tank and water was more than elbow deep. It might have been something on my skin ie. lotion, etc.

All I know is the two clowns are back to normal eating NLS again.

SNAPPY: I live in Red Deer. I will pm you when i head over your way and attempt to fish for damsels..>LOL.

Js