PDA

View Full Version : Naso Tang??

Mik_101
07-12-2007, 01:59 AM
Ok I have a 46 gallon tank and i relay want to keep a baby naso in there that is about 1-1.5 inches and trade him/her once they get over 4 inches? Iv asked this at a few fish stores (Ocean aquatics, King ed) and they said it "ya should be fine till it gets over 5 inches) so after it gets over that size I'm trading him/her for a baby naso(you gotta love naso tangs):biggrin: :lol:

bv_reefer
07-12-2007, 02:54 AM
-I'm pretty sure a 46-gallon is 2 small, same as my idea of puttin' a bluechin triggerfish in my 33-gallon, but hey u can always try!

-Mind u nasos are the opposite of bluechin triggers, peaceful,reef compatible, and herbivores, but require 125-gallon minimum!

Skimmerking
07-12-2007, 02:59 AM
Ok I have a 46 gallon tank and i relay want to keep a baby naso in there that is about 1-1.5 inches and trade him/her once they get over 4 inches? Iv asked this at a few fish stores (Ocean aquatics, King ed) and they said it "ya should be fine till it gets over 5 inches) so after it gets over that size I'm trading him/her for a baby naso(you gotta love naso tangs):biggrin: :lol:

I can't see why any one would buy a fish and let it grow only to turn around and trade him back in for a smaller one.:question:

To each it's own

dogboy
07-12-2007, 03:00 AM
Correct me if i am wrong but don't Naso Tangs get their coloring when the mature? All the immature naso's i have seen are mostly a dull grey and only start to get the classic "make-up" on the forehead and lips etc when they mature.... and don't forget the streamers from their tail too....

Let me know if i am off base..... but wouldn't it be hard to give up a naso once it started to come into it's color and trade it for a immature individual....:wink:

Mik_101
07-12-2007, 03:02 AM
I can't see why any one would buy a fish and let it grow only to turn around and trade him back in for a smaller one.:question:

To each it's own

because it will grow out my tank..

Mik_101
07-12-2007, 03:03 AM
Correct me if i am wrong but don't Naso Tangs get their coloring when the mature? All the immature naso's i have seen are mostly a dull grey and only start to get the classic "make-up" on the forehead and lips etc when they mature.... and don't forget the streamers from their tail too....

Let me know if i am off base..... but wouldn't it be hard to give up a naso once it started to come into it's color and trade it for a immature individual....:wink:

Ya it will be hard giving him/her up but what can you do.

dogboy
07-12-2007, 03:07 AM
If i may ask....what do you see in the juvy naso that is so appealing?

Mik_101
07-12-2007, 03:35 AM
That they look relay nice. Ok maybe not to you guys but don't people have different taste. I do relay like it as an adult but how the heck am i gona keep a fish 10+ inches in my tank. It would be phcyco in there.

hawk
07-12-2007, 05:48 AM

I agree, I 've had a naso since it was a very small juvi (4+years now) As a juvi they are very dull, basically grey. Didn't really "look" like a naso for a couple of years.

Mik_101
07-12-2007, 05:50 AM
till what size do you think I can keep him how many inches>

EmilyB
07-12-2007, 06:15 AM
Fish become pets. Or so I would hope is common..I myself don't think you should view them as trade-ins as they grow. :neutral:

Mik_101
07-12-2007, 06:20 AM
Ya thats true I realy LUV fish right now all i have is 2 clown and 3 chromis but i have cichlids and ya for me running two tanks is a huge job i cant get rid of them so ill see for how long i can hold onto my naso tang.

findingnemo1
07-12-2007, 02:04 PM
There has got to be another fish you would like just as much that you wouldn't have to trade in? I had a naso in my 120 untill i took it down and yes they are beautifull fish but putting one in and then taking it out is to stressfull on the fish and you are going to risk ich and other diseases everytime you do this.Start small and work your way up. We all can't have what we want in our tanks and if we do then we have either gone up in tank size to do so or sacraficed something else. This is not the hobby to just go on a whim. Think about the best interest of the fish not what you really want. I have a kid your age and she is the same way with the naso but had to suck it up when we moved to the 90 as it just isn't big enough. They need a lot of room to swim and move about to be happy.

just my .02

dogboy
07-12-2007, 03:48 PM
It kinda sounds like you like the idea of a naso tang right now more than anything...

All that aside what happens when you have one that grows to big and you can't find someone to take it off your hands??

Just my 2 cents.... food for thought....

bv_reefer
07-12-2007, 06:03 PM
-I agree and i disagree, i meen ya naso isn't the most compatible
fish for a 46-gallon but u know what, if he gave it a proper habitat,proper water conditions and proper feedings and of course compatibility I honestly think that a small naso shouldn't be 2 hard 2 pull off.

Jason McK
07-12-2007, 06:27 PM
I believe a fish that's minimum requirements are a large tank require a large tank from birth. It's just in there genes.

There are a ton of fish out there that will do great in a 46G tank, why risk it

J

bv_reefer
07-12-2007, 07:45 PM
-Ya i guess if it's too unnatural an environment that can be a problem, still an improvement from the 10-30 gallons it's kept in @ the fish store tho
that u gotta admit!

michika
07-12-2007, 08:21 PM
I'd say skip the naso, they grow really fast. In a 46 I would say skip all tangs, they will produce too much waste, and they grow far too fast.

Why not look into pygmy, or dwarf angels?

dogboy
07-12-2007, 08:43 PM
-still an improvement from the 10-30 gallons it's kept in @ the fish store tho
that u gotta admit!

Dont get me wrong... i understand your sentiment... but i think having mentality is where the expression "Out of the frying pan into the fire" came from.... lol

Mik_101
07-12-2007, 08:47 PM
I'd say skip the naso, they grow really fast. In a 46 I would say skip all tangs, they will produce too much waste, and they grow far too fast.

Because dwaf angles nip at corals. Do you think a kole tang would be sutable

bv_reefer
07-12-2007, 08:50 PM

Do tangs really produce that much waste??

michika
07-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Not all angels nip, I've had quite a few that were model citizens, lemonpeel, singapore, white tail, emperor, regal. It seems that as long as you keep your fish well fed with a variety of foods they don't seem to stray.

Kole tangs still get too big. While they do clean glass and rocks quite well, they aren't small tank fish.

michika
07-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Do tangs really produce that much waste??

When you balance out what they do for the system, vs. what they take from it, its unequal. Tangs eat a lot, but they produce a huge amount of waste. Most of the food they eat needs to be added to the tank, vs. a fish like a sixline wrasse, who will eat pods, something the tank naturally produces.

Mik_101
07-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Well i gusse i cant keep a tang at all then so im just gona get a lemon pell angle or somthing of that sort.:cry: :cry: :cry:

bv_reefer
07-12-2007, 08:56 PM
If i may ask....what do you see in the juvy naso that is so appealing?

interestin' pic lol

Mik_101
07-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Ok do you think this would be a sutible fish in my tank. My tank agine is 46 g and thos fish is rated uptp 50 g thats only 4 gallons to small) and the fish ihad in mind was a Mertensii Butterflyfish
My tank will mostly have about 50%sps.

Jason McK
07-12-2007, 09:09 PM
Quote form Pet Solutions.com "Mertensii Butterflyfish, Chaetodon mertensii, is often found living on or around the reefs of the Pacific Ocean. Members of the genus Chaetodon make gorgeous inhabitants of fish only aquariums. Soft Corals and most Invertebrates should do fine with the Butterflyfish, but it may likely decimate Stony Corals, as they are a part of its natural diet."

This Butterfly feeds almost exclusivly on SPS.

Were are you getting your fish list from? you seem to be picking fish you can't possibly have success with

michika
07-12-2007, 09:13 PM
http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfacts/fish/cmertens.htm This is the fish you mean? I've never had one, and wow is it beautiful.
There is a butterfly called a Yellowtail (Chaetodon xanthurus), that looks almost identical except it requires at least 55g.

I know you have some SPS, and LPS in your tank alread. Do you plan to fill it with SPS, and LPS later?

Mik_101
07-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Yes those sps and Lps and a bit of softies.

Mik_101
07-13-2007, 02:27 AM
Is ther any tang sutible for my tank that I can keep in ther.

skylord
07-13-2007, 04:17 AM
Is ther any tang sutible for my tank that I can keep in ther.

No...I wanted to say "not really" but that could be misleading. The correct answer is no.

Tell everyone you plan to upgrade your tank to a 90 or a 120 within the next 6 months or so and you will get some answers more to your liking. You still wont like all the answers but I am sure a few would be ok for you.

Scott

Mik_101
07-13-2007, 06:29 AM
Would one of thess be sutible
-Yellow tang
-kole tang
-Scopas tang

michika
07-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Skip all the tangs, they are all far too large for your system. Try browsing through some online shopes for other fish that you like that might thrive better in a smaller tank.

Moogled
07-13-2007, 02:02 PM
One of the most common pitfalls:

Convincing yourself that you CAN keep a fish even though the chances of success are unstable.

dogboy
07-13-2007, 04:56 PM
You keep asking if there is any Tang you can keep in your tank which leads me back to what i said before .... you like the idea of a tang more than the actual tang itself....

No one can tell you not to get a Tang and no one can keep you from getting one if you decide to do it.....but ultimately you have been given a lot of good advice on tangs and their compatability in a system such as yours..... which should be enough to convince you that a Tang is not the best choice of fish for your setup.......

Dogboy out....

Mik_101
07-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Ok I finally made up my mind and I am going to get a Lemon peel angle. What are the chances he/she will nip at my corals?

muck
07-13-2007, 05:58 PM
50/50

Mik_101
07-13-2007, 05:59 PM
50/50

Oh man that sucks for me. Im mainly going to have sps corals and I dont want anything to nip or sample them.

Delphinus
07-13-2007, 06:13 PM
Best bets, in my opinion, for pygmy angels would be a flame angel or a potter's angel. There may be a few others but these ones are spectacular fish in my opinion and should do OK in your 46. They'll for sure leave your SPS alone, where things might get dicey with pygmy angels is with LPS and clam mantles, but these two species in particular should be OK even with those.

One caution though: one or the other, not both. Like many fish, they don't take too kindly to other fish with the same shape in their territory, as they view them as competition.

cav~firez22
07-13-2007, 06:35 PM
i have a Blonde naso in my 65 gallon tank. Had her for about 1 1/2 yrs and she is definatly way to big for my tank. But I would rather Have a larger tank, than get rid of my favorite fish. There for, I just bought bigger tank from Mike @ Hidden reef. Along with another Blonde Naso, only a Male this time...

The male Naso's have the streamers, but usually dont grow out until about 4"

Mik_101
07-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Do you think a baby naso about 1-2 inches would be ok in my tank because im pritty sure a 65 is 3 feet long like my tank

cav~firez22
07-14-2007, 12:26 AM
Mytank is 4ft long

48*16*18

and no i dont because they need lots of room to swim. I know for a fact my tank is to small for my naso. That why i just bought the 6ft tank.

But to each is own. a baby will be ok in that tank, but only till it gets a certain size and you will tell by the attitude of the fish as it gets reallly testy, like its getting clostrophobic.

I am no expert, this is just what i have observed through my reefing expierience

naesco
07-14-2007, 12:32 AM
Good thread, good advice and it is nice to see a new reefer ask for advice before they buy the fish. You will be a really sucessful reefer.

Trust me. Tangs are a fish you really get attached too. You will not be able to trade it in and it will suffer in a small tank as soon as it grows which for a tang is really fast.

The reason you need a large tank is because tangs are swimmers. They like the length a 6 foot tank gives them as they motor back and forth. Those who upgrade to a large tank really notice the difference.

Wayne Ryan

Redrover
07-14-2007, 02:37 AM
With a 46gal tank, like has been said your better off going with the small angels Flame....Coral Beauty [ Pigmy ] I have both and no corals have been touched

Redrover
07-14-2007, 02:56 AM
If you go to Ron's 120 Reef...last page you will see a few of my fish...
red one is a Flame Angel

Mik_101
07-14-2007, 03:05 AM
Today I whent to Ocean Aquatics an Janet said a naso(baby) would be fine in my tank.

dogboy
07-14-2007, 03:29 AM
Today I whent to Ocean Aquatics an Janet said a naso(baby) would be fine in my tank.

well then that seems to be the answer you were looking for....take what you've learned and it is time to make a descision.

findingnemo1
07-14-2007, 03:36 AM
You know why don't you just get used to the fact that none of us are going to tell you it is okay. The fish store is of course going to tell you it is okay because they want to sell it. They are in the bussiness of selling fish to uneducated buyers. They need to make a living to.
But like dogboy2365 said here it is time to make a decision. I think you will make the right choice. They are some other beautifull fish out there that are not tangs. You just need to look for them.

Craig

Redrover
07-14-2007, 03:37 AM
Start planning for that bigger tank...a lot of fish stores just want to make a sale...these fish grow fast and need lots of swimming room
That said it's your choice...good luck

dogboy
07-14-2007, 03:43 AM
And.... you said earlier how you were thinking of trading in the naso when it grew to big for your tank..... remember that when you buy something and decide to trade it in to the LFS you will get only a small portion of what it is actually worth in trade... you will not get to trade a maturing naso for a juvy naso..... trust me from personal experience you will not get even half of what it is actually worth ... as findingnemo1 and redrover both so acurately stated above.... the LFS is just trying to make money so there is not chance of getting back your money ..... this seems like a poorly though out and uninformed money losing scheme....

dosent someone on Canreef here have the quote in their signature that says they are going to start banging their head against a wall while burning 100 dollar bills for their next hobby... lol... that just came to mind for some reason... lol

Redrover
07-14-2007, 04:28 AM
One point I should have mention, how I learned, I asked a lot of questions
then went on line and checked out the fish I liked, this way you learn from reefer friends plus the net,which will help in making hopefully the right choice

EmilyB
07-14-2007, 05:37 AM
He's asked for advice and was given this. I think he shouldn't troll now.

bv_reefer
07-14-2007, 07:48 AM
You keep asking if there is any Tang you can keep in your tank which leads me back to what i said before .... you like the idea of a tang more than the actual tang itself....

No one can tell you not to get a Tang and no one can keep you from getting one if you decide to do it.....but ultimately you have been given a lot of good advice on tangs and their compatability in a system such as yours..... which should be enough to convince you that a Tang is not the best choice of fish for your setup.......

Dogboy out.... - buddy how many tanks do u own? cuz the way ur talkin', I'd think u own a portion of the vancouver aquarium! -no offense or anything but that's the way ur soundin' lmaox10, sad si ti ''kool'' dude! lol:question:
ps: good luck with the nano...lol brate

Moogled
07-14-2007, 08:06 AM
Have we answered your question or are you still unconvinced that you should NOT get a large tang for your 46g?

Redrover
07-14-2007, 11:15 AM
Hey man time to cool off...everyone here have been doing there best to help new reefer's like Mik 101, I think you should do the same as it will save a lot of heart ache

dogboy
07-14-2007, 05:12 PM
- buddy how many tanks do u own? cuz the way ur talkin', I'd think u own a portion of the vancouver aquarium! -no offense or anything but that's the way ur soundin' lmaox10, sad si ti ''kool'' dude! lol:question:

WOW!

I am so glad you joined Canreef so that you could participate in thoughtful and constructive disscussion about a hobby everyone here loves.

Maybe i did not use enough smiley faces in my message?

:wink:

justinl
07-14-2007, 05:34 PM
the way ur soundin' lmaox10, sad si ti ''kool'' dude! lol:question:

im just curious... what did that mean?

id tell you what i think of the naso trade plan, but you might as well just go read the other posts.

Chaloupa
07-14-2007, 06:23 PM
- buddy how many tanks do u own? cuz the way ur talkin', I'd think u own a portion of the vancouver aquarium! -no offense or anything but that's the way ur soundin' lmaox10, sad si ti ''kool'' dude! lol:question:

is there anything constructive in this reply?

I am on board with everyone else in their interest in Mik_101's question and I think he would appreciate keeping it on topic and NOT having people insulting the other people on the board...if the topic goes the way it is with insulting people then the mods will close down the thread...I think the thread has had some good interest to it....hard to say if the advice will be followed or not but it has sparked some great discussion!

saltaddict
07-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Just so you know it's really hard to give up a tang once you have it. We had a Scopas tang that we tried to add to our 120 however our yellow tang did not like that at all (should of known better but I thought we could try) We ended up having to put the Scopas in our 30g :eek: After a couple of weeks we convinced our friend with a 90g to take our scopas tang. We knew we couldn't keep him in a 30g and even though we can still visit the tang it was hard as hell to give him up:sad: Just my .02 thanks Laurie

Moogled
07-14-2007, 09:03 PM
bv_reefer and Mik_101 are cousins, I believe.

Chaloupa
07-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Yep Moogled they are cousins from other posts I have read.....

I agree they are so hard to give up..I have a Naso in my 150g and he is a pet...I can't imagine giving him up and hopefully I won't have to as I think I am pushing the limit with him in my tank.....(not because of bioload but length of the tank)

Doug
07-14-2007, 09:58 PM
...if the topic goes the way it is with insulting people then the mods will close down the thread.

:evilbat: Yes, please discuss it in a civilized manner.

Lots of good advice posted here. Although larger is better for most tangs, if one insists on having one in a smaller aquarium, then perhaps something like a scopas.

I still like the idea of a pygmy angel, perhaps a coral beauty, which are usually reef safe but like all angels, can turn on corals. Many tangs also can develop a taste for some corals.

My 45g cube, has a mated pair of "now breeding", almost 4 yrs. old percs and a lawnmower blennie. Thats it, except for the cleaner wrasse, {eats mysis}, that another aquarists had to remove because he nips at clams.

I would like to add another smaller colourful fish, but have not decided yet. Like most aquarists, I also love tangs, and even let the thought of a scopas in my cube, cross my mind, but decided it was the best to leave them be.

As you mentioned, they are in smaller aquariums now than ours, but once we purchase them, they will be replaced. I dont know how the trading in would go once they are larger. I have sold or given several away to larger homes, for various reasons but never purchased one with the intent of trading it in at a later date.

Anyways, not much more advice we can offer. Hope some of this helps.

Mik_101
07-15-2007, 02:55 AM
Wow im realy surprised on how many posts I would get under this thread. Some I like some i defenetly i dont like... The thing is about tangs ther probably my favorite saltwater fish and ther is not one tang I can keep witch makes me whant to get 100g system(in my dreams) but honestly is ther tank of any kind i can keep...yellow tang, naso tang (just kidding. i wish),kole or scopas tang.

Delphinus
07-15-2007, 04:11 AM
In the 46g, no. Sorry dude. There are just so many other choices out there that are a better fit. Get the bigger tank first, then get the fish to put in it - not the other way around. It's a bitter pill to swallow sometimes when we get it in our heads that we want a certain something and we'll surely be able to "upgrade later" - but it's better for you, it's better for the livestock, and it's better for the hobby in general, when you do the right thing. We've all had to do it (ie. make some tough choices.) Stick with what you can do comfortably, and you will save yourself a lot of trouble.

honkey sauce
07-15-2007, 04:23 AM
next, are you going to ask if a grouper is ok

bv_reefer
07-15-2007, 04:51 AM
-don't even joke about a grouper lol, don't give any ideas

bv_reefer
07-15-2007, 05:13 AM
-I just started deionizing some water for my 33-gallon as i'm starting
it next week and was wondering if I needed 2 deionize all 33 gallons
or just 15-20 gallons?

Mik_101
07-15-2007, 05:43 AM
next, are you going to ask if a grouper is ok

Ya im going to get a groper :neutral: lol

Mik_101
07-15-2007, 06:14 AM
Ok i hoestly think I got over that I whant a tang(:cry: :cry: )so my "new" fish I have in mind is a lemon peal angle.
Sorrey to bring this up agine but I have seen a ton of people that have yellow tangs in ther 30 gallon tank.(just wanted you guys to be awere of it)Also the seem that they ae happier in someones 30 G tank that in the 100g in the LFS.

saltaddict
07-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Also they seem that they are happier in someones 30 G tank that in the 100g in the LFS.

All I know is that it was horrible to watch our poor scopas tang trying to swim around in our tiny 30g, he kept bumping into the sides:sad: . He is sooooooo much happier (swims back and forth with freedom) in our friends 90g. As extremely difficult as it was to let him go, I feel better knowing that he has more space to move around in. Really when it comes down to it don't we all want what's best for our pets? I know I do, even if it means not getting what I want.

For example I had an opportunity to buy a sohal tang (which is our dream fish) but unfortunately I know these fish will not do well in less than a minimum of 300g. Since we only have a 120g in good conscience I could not buy this fish, knowing that I did not have a proper home for it. So trust me when I say that even though it's difficult, resit the urge until you have the right amount of space for the fish to be TRULY (not just seem) happy in. Thanks Laurie OMG I think I just became a member (sort of) of the tang police squad lol BTW lemon peel angels are really nice and a much better choice until you can get a larger tank

fishoholic
07-15-2007, 04:50 PM
makes me whant to get 100g system(in my dreams)

When we 1st started this hobby a little over a year ago we dreamed of one day having a 100g+ tank and honestly I never thought it would happen. However we now own a 120g so hang in there you might just get a 100g yet, ya never know what the future holds :biggrin: Although I must admit now I would like a 300g+ funny how that works eh?

Chaloupa
07-15-2007, 05:18 PM
I have a lemon peel angel...they're great! Very colorful and lively!

Skimmerking
07-15-2007, 05:55 PM
for a small tank for angels there is potters, flame, coral Beauty, rusty, lemon peel, bi color, pygmy angel. I ahve a kole tang that Doug used to own I have him in my 120 he love to graze constantly however, I believe that he was better in my 170 with the lavender....

Mik_101
07-15-2007, 06:05 PM
What are the chaces he will nip at my cirals?

justinl
07-15-2007, 06:08 PM
50/50. all dwarf angels are risky but coral beauty is the least likely to nip. lemon peels are pretty bad as far as dwarves go but who knows.

Chaloupa
07-15-2007, 06:50 PM
my Lemon Peel is in my FOWLR......there are some GSP and a few Paly's that it doesn't bother but I wouldn't trust it with anything I like as far as corals go...if it was a problem I'd hate to try to take it out....another really good one is a Cherub Pygmy Angel...small and lots of color...usually fairly safe with corals...but it's still an Angel...I had no trouble with mine
here's a pic for you to see what it looks like

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/Cherub.jpg

Mik_101
07-15-2007, 10:23 PM
http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/tangs/nasotang/
Hmm maybe I will get a naso tang scince on thins site they say it needs a minimum of 55g

justinl
07-15-2007, 10:31 PM
we have already stated our opinions. if you prefer to trust a source that is trying to SELL you the fish no matter the cost (it's not like they care about the fish's well being once it's out of their hands) over the unbiased views that we have presented, then so be it.

Mik_101
07-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Oh never realy looked at it that way.:rolleyes:

andresont
07-15-2007, 10:41 PM
it is stated right in the description :

" it is important to provide it with plenty of swimming space. It also needs suitable hiding places. "
55gal is not even close for this kind of fish IMO.

Delphinus
07-15-2007, 10:51 PM
Unfortunately, that site is wrong with their info. You have to take into account the source of the information. Are they trying to sell something? Yes. Am I trying to sell something? No. I have no reason to mislead you on this: a Naso tang is a wholly inappropriate fish for a tank less than 200, possibly even 300 gallons. If you have seen this fish in the wild, you would understand.

And what is the point of putting a baby fish in a tank if you have no upgrade path? It's one thing to put a small fish in a 55g if you have ten tanks on the go and the appropriate sized tank ready to go when the fish gets larger. If you have to trade the fish in within 6 to 10 weeks, then the answer is simple: Don't get the fish.

Get the larger tank going first, then think about a tang. In the meantime, stick to the pictures. Like I said, it's a bitter pill to swallow to stay in our means, but we all have to do it sometimes, everyone.
Hmm maybe I will get a naso tang scince on thins site they say it needs a minimum of 55g

hawk
07-15-2007, 10:59 PM
I think people are being punked here

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-16-2007, 01:01 AM
Punked or not, good info being offered on this thread.

He does sound like someone who is desperate for someone, anyone, to tell him to do whatever he wants to do anyways. If six pages of "DON'T DO IT!!!" is not enough, then we're all wasting our time anyways. I wonder if he even looked up the adult size of Naso tangs before deciding he wants one so badly?

Moogled
07-16-2007, 01:14 AM
I think people are being punked here as well - - - - ever since page 3.

Let this guy get his Naso tang.

PS: Don't send me PMs, Mik_101 or bv_reefer. They will be deleted on sight.

Chaloupa
07-16-2007, 01:57 AM
I agree as well...and I am unsubscribing to this thread as it is wholly a waste of all of our input, information and advice

Mik_101
07-16-2007, 02:31 AM
Can this thread be closed pleas

Mik_101
07-16-2007, 02:33 AM
I think people are being punked here as well - - - - ever since page 3.

Let this guy get his Naso tang.

PS: Don't send me PMs, Mik_101 or bv_reefer. They will be deleted on sight.

No. no one is being punked I just realy realy realy like naso tangs. Well I also like tangs ingeneral.

Mik_101
07-16-2007, 02:37 AM
I just wont get a tang if it makes everyone happy including me i wont get it.
I will now most likley go with Cherub Pygmy Angel or a Bi-colour Angle and with those are they likley to nip.
PS. Sorrey Moogled. and you guys make feel like a crook now

Are ther any larger fish i can keep besudes a tang.:onfire:

andresont
07-16-2007, 04:08 AM
I wish i could be as excited about any fish or coral as Mik_101 again !

Mik_101
07-16-2007, 04:33 AM
I wish i could be as excited about any fish or coral as Mik_101 again !

Is that supposed to be against me? lol i dint know.

TheReefGuy
07-16-2007, 04:44 AM
I had a naso Tang in my old 35 gallon tank and he wa a happy camper in ther then after he got over 5" i traded him for a baby naso and so on.

TheReefGuy
07-16-2007, 04:49 AM
One more question? I know Mik_101 he is only 14 year of age I sold him a MH socket I just don't see why some of you were quit mean to him. If you ever meet him he is a very nice kid and unbelievably kind.
PS. I have only meet him once so I dont realy know him to well.

Mik_101
07-16-2007, 06:02 AM
Ya im not even going to get a any tang because everyone will give me a hard time I know it they dont like me thats how I feel espetally after when they think ther getting "punked" as they call it. I feel like deleting my canreef acount but im not going to because the advice hear is unbalivable.(in the good way)

Moogled
07-16-2007, 06:11 AM
TheReefGuy, if you call 8+ pages of advice about how a tang won't do that well in a smaller tank (or not, depending on who you are), please don't misunderstand.

Everyone in this thread is EAGER to help people that are willing to ask. I'm sorry that you feel we're picking on him, but honestly - it's getting a bit tiring when you have to tell a kid to stop blowing bubbles in his chocolate milk.

Mik_101, you don't have to listen to us. Experimenting is a part of reefing but you should know that these fish are not cheap. We're all nice people here and we hope that you take our comments to heart. If I had to retract my comment about you punking us, here it is:

Please be more self-aware when 10 people give you the same advice about the same thing.

Mik_101
07-16-2007, 06:24 AM
Moogled- Sorrey I did over react I do have to say that.

I have came over that I want a tang because it is true that I have to pay for everything my self so I am either going with a

Bicolor Angelfish
Lemonpeel Angelfish
Multicolor Angelfish
Pygmy (Cherub) Angelfish
Flameback Angelfish
Half Black Angelfish
One of those
In your guys opinion who would you go with and agine witch one has a smaller chanse of nipping at my corals and if they do they are going to go in my time out tank.

bv_reefer
07-16-2007, 06:41 AM
-mik man...when u have all those nice established sps and lps corals
surrounding ur live rock....do u really need 2 risk putting a coral muncher
in there? -as if sps corals aren't hard enough 2 maintain with light,nutrition
and compatiblility, the LAST thing u'll ever need iz a fish that likes ur corals
for there taste!

Mik_101
07-16-2007, 06:44 AM
-mik man...when u have all those nice established sps and lps corals
surrounding ur live rock....do u really need 2 risk putting a coral muncher
in there? -as if sps corals aren't hard enough 2 maintain with light,nutrition
and compatiblility, the LAST thing u'll ever need iz a fish that likes ur corals
for there taste!

Well icant keep a tang because the poor thing will die in ther in ayear or so.

Mik_101
07-16-2007, 08:02 AM
Anyone on the angles pleas.
Do you think it would be a gamble to go with a flame angle.?

Doug
07-16-2007, 02:05 PM
I had a naso Tang in my old 35 gallon tank and he wa a happy camper in ther then after he got over 5" i traded him for a baby naso and so on.

After all thats been posted here, thats dandy advice. :sad:

Doug
07-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Ya im not even going to get a any tang because everyone will give me a hard time I know it they dont like me thats how I feel espetally after when they think ther getting "punked" as they call it. I feel like deleting my canreef acount but im not going to because the advice hear is unbalivable.(in the good way)

Sorry you feel this way Miki. Not sure why you would say the advice is unbelievable. I thought most of it was good and most were pretty polite. When one asks for advice on a public board, they will get all kinds of responses and have to sort the good from the bad. I hope you will stay with us, as your reef tank takes shape.

Doug
07-16-2007, 02:14 PM
Anyone on the angles pleas.
Do you think it would be a gamble to go with a flame angle.?

I would still say its about 50/50. If one avoids the more fleshy lps corals and perhaps clams, they may have better luck. But they have been know to nip at sps also. The coral beauty seems to be somewhat better but still a chance they could turn on corals.

Mik_101
07-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Sorry you feel this way Miki. Not sure why you would say the advice is unbelievable. I thought most of it was good and most were pretty polite. When one asks for advice on a public board, they will get all kinds of responses and have to sort the good from the bad. I hope you will stay with us, as your reef tank takes shape.

Doug I ment undalivable as in awsome advice not bad advice.

TheReefGuy
07-16-2007, 04:38 PM
After all thats been posted here, thats dandy advice. :sad:

Ok your a big shot now im just trying to help.

Delphinus
07-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Hi Mik_101, I'm sorry if I came across harshly, it's not my intent. I just want you to be able to get all that you can out of this hobby - because there tends to be a LOT of frustration that we have to suffer just as much as all the good things; so if I can help someone avoid some of that frustration, I want to do so, because it always makes me sad to see someone quit because the hobby got overwhelming for them.

If I was in your position, I would try a flame angel. Particularly if you can find one that was collected in Hawaii because the colours are out of this world (the Hawaiian flames tend to have much more brilliant reds to them, as opposed to orange and yellows, and the striking red colour creates a bold contrast to the blues on their tails). They are all pretty however, not just the Hawaiians.

I'm afraid I can't offer much on the others you've listed as I have no experience with most of those (I've only ever kept a potter's, but I have friends who have flames and I've looked at them a lot :lol: ).

Here is a good site dedicated to info on the pygmy angels: www.centropyge.net

It lists the angels by species and gives you some to-the-point info. For example, here is the page on flame angels: http://centropyge.net/flame.html

Delphinus
07-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Guys, keep the tone friendly - there's no need to get snitty or personal or get our feathers ruffled. If it happens we'll close the thread, flame wars are not tolerated here.

TheReefGuy
07-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Ok im sorrey guys.:sad:

Mik_101
07-16-2007, 05:06 PM
Hi Mik_101, I'm sorry if I came across harshly, it's not my intent. I just want you to be able to get all that you can out of this hobby - because there tends to be a LOT of frustration that we have to suffer just as much as all the good things; so if I can help someone avoid some of that frustration, I want to do so, because it always makes me sad to see someone quit because the hobby got overwhelming for them.

If I was in your position, I would try a flame angel. Particularly if you can find one that was collected in Hawaii because the colours are out of this world (the Hawaiian flames tend to have much more brilliant reds to them, as opposed to orange and yellows, and the striking red colour creates a bold contrast to the blues on their tails). They are all pretty however, not just the Hawaiians.

I'm afraid I can't offer much on the others you've listed as I have no experience with most of those (I've only ever kept a potter's, but I have friends who have flames and I've looked at them a lot :lol: ).

Here is a good site dedicated to info on the pygmy angels: www.centropyge.net

It lists the angels by species and gives you some to-the-point info. For example, here is the page on flame angels: http://centropyge.net/flame.html

Hey thanks Tony those were grate sites. Is it harder to find flame angles from Hawaii. I'm not sure but I think ocean aquatics has some from Hawaii in regularly.

Delphinus
07-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Yeah, thing to do is just ask, "Are these Flames from Hawaii?" After looking at a few from there versus some from other places, you'll notice the difference. Of course, they're all pretty though. :)

Doug
07-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Doug I ment undalivable as in awsome advice not bad advice.

Ok. Cool.

Doug
07-16-2007, 05:40 PM
Ok your a big shot now im just trying to help.

Gee, thanks. :smile:

Moogled
07-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Mik_101, just throwing my own experiences out here:

When I first started, I wanted to keep fish of all sorts. Although I like to take risks with livestock (and I do, to a reasonable extent like TheReefGuy), I also try to predict what would be easiest for ME as the maintenance person of my tank.

I wanted to keep percs, tassled filefish, blue tangs, yellow watchman gobies, pipefish, seahorses, EVERYTHING. Now I only have a pair of percs, pair of bangaii and a Tomini tang in my tank - all very happy.

Now that you've determined big fish for your tank = bad, concentrate on what you can DEFINITELY keep (not controversial) and go from there. That said, I know you're young and very ambivalent with your livestock choices so just do what you want (with assured fish choices) and see how it works out.

You want a Flame Angel? Go for it. You're scared of it nibbling your corals? Don't get it. Don't burden yourself with the question of "What if?" if you're not prepared to take the plunge.

Mik_101
07-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Lol i gusse it one of those things wher you got to preper your self mentaly.

naesco
07-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Wow im realy surprised on how many posts I would get under this thread. Some I like some i defenetly i dont like... The thing is about tangs ther probably my favorite saltwater fish and ther is not one tang I can keep witch makes me whant to get 100g system(in my dreams) but honestly is ther tank of any kind i can keep...yellow tang, naso tang (just kidding. i wish),kole or scopas tang.

No!