PDA

View Full Version : DRATS>>>>>skimmer death

Snappy
07-10-2007, 05:26 AM
Well my new (used, new to me a week ago) RC500 Euro-Reef skimmer died a horrible death today as I tried to undo the water level coupler. It was leaking so I overtightened it thinking that would stop the leak but of course with my luck it didn't. :twised: So I went and bought a new coupler and thought I'll just replace that piece. Well did I mention "over tighten"? It wouldn't come apart so I thought I would give it one big twist and then SNAP, I broke the pipe right out of the body and broke the acrylic reactor chamber right from the bottom to about 3/4 of the way up. :sad: So needless to say I'm not a happy camper today and my tank will go skimmerless yet another week. I noticed this weekend it is already affecting my sps colour quality so I need to do some shopping fast. Unfortunately I am out of town for work again this week so hopefully I can get a new one delivered this week so I can install it when I get back this weekend.
Another couple of grand down the tubes. Okay now I feel a little better since I got to vent.

Jason McK
07-10-2007, 05:52 AM
ouch Doug, That sucks.

So what you going to go with?

J

hawk
07-10-2007, 05:58 AM
Is it beyond repair?

fkshiu
07-10-2007, 06:07 AM
Might be salvageable especially if you can find a sump big enough for it to sit in.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-10-2007, 06:38 AM
Weldon won't fix it? Like Franklin wrote, maybe repair it & then put it into a sump tank.

Snappy
07-10-2007, 12:39 PM
My sump is out of the question. The skimmer is both too wide & too tall, I plan to buy another one this week.

SuperFudge
07-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Ship it to me, ill repair it for you greg.
If you do it, use methylene chloride.

Delphinus
07-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Greg let me take a look at it too. Now, Marc will probably do a nicer job, but, at least with me you won't have to ship it. We might be able to salveage it - I've been able to salveage some pretty badly damaged acrylic things before.

ClubReef
07-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Greg,

Sorry to hear about your accident. I bought a used ER a year ago and it got shattered in shipping. I re-glued it with weldon (as previously suggested) and it worked like a charm after. If you do it right, you will barely see the fracture. You can get the stuff at Acrylic concepts on 40th Ave NE.

http://www.acrylicconcepts.net/

--Although a new Deltec or H&S would be nice too :)