PDA

View Full Version : To those at the frag swap a couple weeks ago

christyf5
07-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Who got pieces of my bubblegum acro? Please grow them up well as I need a frag. I just lost my colony of it and about 14 others. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Edit: make that 17

*sigh* I hate this hobby.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Dang. Tank crash? What a lousy way to wake up on a Sunday morning. Sorry Christy. I didn't get one or I'd give it back to you. I believe BC Wolfen got a frag of it. If you come over, I'll frag you some of my corals when your tank is ready again.

Anthony

christyf5
07-08-2007, 04:01 PM
The chiller is still blowing fuses mostly I think because the room gets too hot. It must have been about 90F+ in the room when I got home last night and that was at 10:45pm. I think my nano is a complete write off as it was 94.5F and stuff actually looks cooked in it. For the big tank, the chiller was still running then as my tank sitters (I was on holidays) had been diligent about checking on it and replacing fuses as needed however, the tank hit 90 on Thurs eve/Friday and then blew another fuse Friday night and it wasn't caught until Saturday afternoon. The tank is a total disaster, white colonies everywhere :neutral:

As an aside, why do the ugly brown ones always survive? Not fair.

I'm currently installing the AC unit in the fish room. Wish I had done that before I left :rolleyes:

Chaloupa
07-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Christy, I am so sorry for your losses!! I wish I had more to offer you.....

Ticketyboo
07-08-2007, 04:56 PM
pants K... sorry to hear that.....

Tom R
07-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Hi Christy

Sorry to here of your chiller problems. I am sure you have checked everything on that circuit. Once you get through this ordeal, you are welcome to have frags of any of my corals to get you started again.

Tom R

cprowler
07-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Yeah that sucks, if I have any corals your interested in I’ll give you some frags too.

Delphinus
07-08-2007, 08:53 PM
oh NO! :( So sorry!!!! I thought crap like that only happened to ME. :cry:

Jason McK
07-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Hey christy, Sorry to hear of your losses. Let me know what you need. I have a large bubble gum that I can frag for you.

J

andresont
07-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Your chiller might be low on freon and compressor will stop on overheat protection if it has it, or blow the fuse.
If this is the case you might want to reacharge it.
I have been wrong before but you newer know for sure..
jmtcw

christyf5
07-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Thanks guys. Surprisingly, the tank is still pretty full looking even with the losses removed. I lost 3 bali colonies, 3 "mini" colonies and the rest were frags. The two most notable losses were my frags of Jesse's pink table and purple cross. Waa. Hopefully I can find replacements. Jason my tank still needs a piece of your Loisettae though (mine packed it in) as well as that other blue one that I dont' know the name of (you call it ultra blue on frags.org) :wink:

After the heartbreaking wrasse/clam episode of a couple weeks ago (my ever inquisitive wrasse stuck his nose, clam shut and crushed his head, killing him) I'm just glad I didn't lose any fish (except for my nano neon goby :neutral: )

Thanks for the offers of frags, you guys are awesome. For now I think I'll just let the tank settle in and see what happens.

The jury is still out in zooland (aka the nano tank). All ricordea are gone as well as my neon goby :cry: and cleaner shrimp. I'm not really sure where to go from there. I guess a big water change and siphon to suck out all the ricordea goo piles.

The room is now a balmy 77 thanks to a better placed AC unit. Hopefully that will do the trick. I'm still convinced that its the heat in the room. The chiller instructions say that the ambient room temp can't exceed 95F and no doubt that was the problem although I'm thinking its more like 90F or so. Every time the chiller has blown a fuse it has been a hot day. The chiller is only 3 years old so I hope it doesn't need new coolant, previously it didn't really have to work that hard, just for a few weeks during the summer. Thoughts??

fishface
07-08-2007, 09:24 PM
oh NO! :( So sorry!!!! I thought crap like that only happened to ME. :cry:

i thought this is what happens to everyone that goes on vacation!!

christyf5
07-08-2007, 09:32 PM
i thought this is what happens to everyone that goes on vacation!!

Seems that way. It makes me never want to leave the house again :confused:

Reefer Rob
07-08-2007, 10:24 PM
You'll have to wait a year or so, but I do have a frag of Jesse's red table. It's encrusted and just starting to grow now. When it's big enough I can frag you a piece if you haven't found one by then.

Jason McK
07-08-2007, 11:07 PM
I think that red table has found it's way into someones hands that is really good with the clippers. ;)

J

christyf5
07-09-2007, 12:20 AM
I think that red table has found it's way into someones hands that is really good with the clippers. ;)

J

Hopefully theres some left :wink:

andresont
07-09-2007, 01:19 AM
The room is now a balmy 77 thanks to a better placed AC unit. Hopefully that will do the trick. I'm still convinced that its the heat in the room. The chiller instructions say that the ambient room temp can't exceed 95F and no doubt that was the problem although I'm thinking its more like 90F or so. Every time the chiller has blown a fuse it has been a hot day. The chiller is only 3 years old so I hope it doesn't need new coolant, previously it didn't really have to work that hard, just for a few weeks during the summer. Thoughts??

Could it be that this unit has a smaller cooliant tank capacity? And when all of the freon is already evaporated there is no more liquid to evaporate and heat will stop transfering from one side to the other.
Perhaps extra cooling will work (chilling the chiller LOL) if you take a cover off (be carefull it is hot !) you will se a balck round compressor just like behind your fridge if you blow some air on it with the fan it might help.
But still if ambient temperature will stay high it will be pushing this unit in to thermal shock. May be creating a draft will help a bit too just to help move this hot air away.
I wish you luck.

Chowder
07-09-2007, 01:29 AM
Sorry to here about your loses. I can also frag some stuff for you if you would like.I lost most of my corals about a year and half ago the same way. My zoo's and half a monti digi was all that survived.

NateL
07-09-2007, 01:55 AM
Im sorry to hear of your tragedy... If I had anything to frag you would be welcome to it.

marie
07-09-2007, 02:39 AM
I unfortunately missed out on the last bubble gum frag by about 2 min :cry: but I can help you replace your ricordeas :biggrin:

christyf5
07-09-2007, 04:36 AM
Could it be that this unit has a smaller cooliant tank capacity? And when all of the freon is already evaporated there is no more liquid to evaporate and heat will stop transfering from one side to the other.
Perhaps extra cooling will work (chilling the chiller LOL) if you take a cover off (be carefull it is hot !) you will se a balck round compressor just like behind your fridge if you blow some air on it with the fan it might help.
But still if ambient temperature will stay high it will be pushing this unit in to thermal shock. May be creating a draft will help a bit too just to help move this hot air away.
I wish you luck.

Prior to moving the AC unit I had taken the front panel off the chiller unit and was using a small fan to run air through. I guess if the air is too hot though, it doesn't really serve much purpose. I suppose this next week will be the test.

Snappy
07-09-2007, 05:57 AM
Sorry to hear about your losses. Man I can relate to that. PM sent.

EmilyB
07-09-2007, 06:00 AM
:cry: So sorry Bud.

michika
07-09-2007, 01:29 PM
I'm so sorry you had to come home to that, its a horrible way to finish off a week.

PoonTang
07-09-2007, 06:33 PM
Sorry to hear of your losses Christy, you are ofcourse welcome to a frag of anything I have here that will help you out. I too went away for the weekend but luckily returned to a happy/healthy tank. I dont have a chiller but went the other route instead. A/C the fish room with one of those In window units from Costco.

sea gnome
07-25-2007, 07:01 AM
Hi Christy, wish I had something for you. Hope the nano is coming back. Rachel

christyf5
07-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Hi Rachel,

No worries, the nano is taking a bit of a breather. It was almost a complete loss. I lost all ricordea and about 75% of the zoos. There are a few zoos that are still deciding on whether to join the ranks of the living or not.

Thank goodness the grape caulerpa lived. I don't know what I'd do without it :rolleyes: :confused:

I did find a couple bristleworms and brittle stars the other day so its slowly coming back :biggrin:

muck
07-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Dang.. how did I miss this thread.. Sorry on your loses C.
I have no doubt that you will rebuild BIGGER and BETTER!!
I wish I could help you out... :sad:

christyf5
07-25-2007, 02:48 PM
Amazingly enough the big tank has bounced back better than I had imagined. Stuff was brown for a week or two but I put on a wack of carbon and changed out the phosban and did a 15% water change et voila! It was back in action. Stuff is coloring up like crazy (some are still pretty stubborn) and the water is crystal clear. One bonus was the death of a scummy brown algae I had growing on the back glass and some of the rock. Its almost completely gone now and I don't think I've ever seen the rocks so algae free before.

As for the corals, well I've managed to get a few of my little prizes replaced. Most of the gaps have been filled in and the tank is actually looking a little less cluttered (note I said "a little" :wink:).

milesj250
07-26-2007, 05:53 PM
good to here that thing are comming back for you.i am just about done with my sick fish. had white and black ick and some outher things, and only lose two fish. good luck with the tank.

Chaloupa
08-16-2007, 05:25 AM
Saw Christy's tank on the weekend....HOLY COW ... it "bounced back" alright..it's freakin gorgeous!!!! Her corals are beautiful (and luckily she had a pair of snippers handy to cut off the odd bit here and there!!! YAY for me!) seriously though, if my tank EVER looks this good, I'll be one happy reefer!

Nice tank!!!!!!

P.S. thanks for all the frags....they are excellent...and all still alive!

michika
08-16-2007, 01:44 PM
So Christy, since Chaloupa thinks your tank looks gorgeous now, I think we all deserve a FTS to see!

christyf5
08-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Ok here it is:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/aug42007.jpg

Thanks Sarah, glad to hear everything is doing okay. I should have sent you home with a large chunk of that tan colored cap (the one on the RHS next to the powerhead), its starting to block the flow.

michika
08-16-2007, 07:33 PM
Looks good! I see you have solved your "purple" tang issue.

May I please ask for more photos? Maybe some of your clams?

christyf5
08-16-2007, 07:43 PM

Hehe new camera, I just use the old one for macros now (new one is a panasonic and doesn't compare to the Nikon).

I'll take some more pics this weekend :biggrin:

sea gnome
08-17-2007, 01:39 AM
Wow, your tank looks great. Hope mine looks that good in future. I have had a run of bad luck too. The clam you got me died, I think it idn't get enough light where it was and I didn't notice quick enough. then a fish got stuck in a powerhead and my anenome got all excited and crawled in to get it and .... Bad week. Rachel

ref leppard
08-19-2007, 02:11 PM

Welcome to the" Powder Blue Club " btw nice looking fish! And yes your tank is looking Gorgeous!