PDA

View Full Version : New ER Skimmer starting to tick me off:(

findingnemo1
07-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Hi there.

We have a new rs250 and have had it running for about 4 days now i guess. But yet all i am getting is light green water and even that is not alot. I know it needs time to break in but my god i got more out of my remora when i bought it. And i know the tank has junk in it so its not that. I read all these posts and see all these pics about the dark black gunk coming out in 48 hours but for me it just isn't working.
Oh yah and this is on a 90 and i know it is overkill but hey it was a good deal and i would rather overskim than underskim:)
So i guess the big question is how do i dial this thing in?
Any suggestions on how everyone got theres running good?

Thanks
Craig

michika
07-08-2007, 03:15 PM
OKay I have never had one before but have seen them, do you get lots of bubbles in the main cylinder???...have you tried cleaning the venturi and hose, aswell as with the needle wheel??

findingnemo1
07-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Oh there is a toone of bubbles and the venturi and everything was cleaned before i installed it 4 days ago.
I dunno what is up and there instructions are so vague:twised:

christyf5
07-08-2007, 03:50 PM
How far up are the bubbles into the riser tube? I found my euro (older model ES6-2) took a couple of days to get going and even after that it didn't yard out that much stuff however, it was thick and gross.

Skimmerking
07-08-2007, 04:23 PM
the euro reef is a different foam that you will get. Do you have the mod for the gate valve on yours? with mine with out the gate valve the water level was at the bottom of the neck where the collector cup connects. and with the gate valve it was at where ever I put it got alot of wet foam too.

Lots of people used vinger in the skimmer in a tub to clean it out.

i will try and find a picture of the skimmer running with the insump, to show you the water leve and the bubbles. with the gate valve i modded it to run external too got more green skimate too... Just remember that on mine after running it for a bit the skimate got lighter from cleaning so well too. after ahwile the skimmer will only put out what is there...

Skimmerking
07-08-2007, 04:28 PM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e122/asmodeus338/235%20Gal%20REEF/waterfield008.jpg

this is the skimmer running with 2x sp-3's in sump the water leve lis at the bottom about 2" from the bottom of the collection cup

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e122/asmodeus338/65%20gal%20sps/DSC02274.jpg

here the water level is higher for a wetter skimate HTH

and the bubbles are very small

findingnemo1
07-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Okay thanks everyone. I don't have the gate valve mod. But i think it will be coming as lowering and rising this pipe is ercin me...lol

asmodeus thanks for thee pics that helps. I will move the water level down abit as i have it sitting about 1/4 way up the collection cup but it still isn't pulling anything. Although from the look of the water level in your sump i don't think i have enough water in the sump. As it is sitting in about 6 inches as per the instructions but i will add a bunch and see what happens there.

Craig

Skimmerking
07-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Craig the water level should be around 8 " that is what i have always set mine at. With that being said try turning the air down on the skimmer with the little valve the Er has sent you with the skimmer I had more on the 1-2 O-clock range it worked great for me too

HTH

findingnemo1
07-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Okay thanks for the help. That is where i have the air valve sitting now and I will add another bit of water and let it sit i guess. And hopefully i will see something in the next day or two.

Skimmerking
07-08-2007, 08:27 PM
if you are breaking it in try taken off the air valves and let it run full bore too I used to do that too.