PDA

View Full Version : lets Talk Acropora!!!!!!!

Snowmaker
07-08-2007, 12:45 AM
So anyways i have tank with quite a few frags of acro and millipora. Anyways i tossed a trio of yellow clown gobys in my tank. Anyways two of them arnt bugging the acros they are just perching and swimming in them, the third being double the size of the rest is being a jerk and nipping at them, like between the branches. No polyp extension or very little during the day im assuming because of this jerk goby. They all have thier polpys out at night though. Will he eventually bug them so much they will rtn???? or will they be alright. My millipora seemed to fix its self where he nibbled. Anyone know anything about clown gobys and maybe how to achieve better polpu extension out of acros??? My birds nest and montiporas all have polpy extension during the day or light times.

Chowder
07-08-2007, 02:12 AM
Clown godies from what I understand are not good with Sps because they stick ther eggs on the bottom of limbs of SPS which kills the tissue. The tissue is also killed around where they perch.

Snowmaker
07-08-2007, 05:53 AM
but if the rest of the coral survives and grows the underside of a branch or two i could care less about.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-08-2007, 08:11 AM
I got my first clown gobies from Chin because they were sps nippers. I had no problems in my tank until I started putting in some sps & they went after them again. I DON'T think clown gobies are sps-safe. Heard from other local reefers with the same problem.

Anthony

Chin_Lee
07-08-2007, 04:02 PM
If you have a big acropora forest display, your little clown gobies won't kill anything. If you have acro frags or smaller colonies, i strongly suggest removing that clown goby. Best to do so at night when they cling onto the side glass of the tank. Get the room to complete darkness and utilize a night shot video camera to see where its at and capture it

christyf5
07-08-2007, 04:17 PM
I agree with Chin, larger acro colonies are much better equipped to deal with clown gobies than frags or smaller colonies. I once had a clown goby with SPS and upon its removal I actually saw polyps where previously I had seen none. I've been clown goby free ever since.

Snowmaker
07-10-2007, 03:55 AM
the thing is its only the bigger one of the three, is there some sort of socail thing going on there??? preparing a nest???

Snappy
07-10-2007, 05:09 AM
the thing is its only the bigger one of the three, is there some sort of socail thing going on there??? preparing a nest???
I think you are missing the point.:wink: It sounds to me like clown gobies and acro's don't mix. If you want polyp extension out of your acros you will need to move all three clown gobies as they will likely pick at them as the mature.

Snowmaker
07-10-2007, 04:03 PM
well that sucks they are such a cool fish.

Chowder
07-10-2007, 04:15 PM
There's lots of other cool fish that go well with SPS.

Snowmaker
07-10-2007, 06:16 PM
like??? like small fish??? my only "small" fish are a saddle back clown and a red scooter dragonet

Chowder
07-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Try Eviota or Trimma gobies, Rainfordi or Hectors gobies. There are some real cool fairy wrasses that stay small. I have a yellow Assesor that has alot of personallity.....so do two spot blennies.