PDA

View Full Version : 54g reef tank

Melina
07-05-2007, 07:07 AM
Hi all,
Brand new to reef keeping, hope I can set this thing up right! I ordered a 54g tank & stand, it will be here in about 10 days. Today I called Hidden Reef and made some purchases. I got a 36" Tek-Light T5 High Output fixture, which holds 6 bulbs. I got 4 ATI Blue Plus 39W and 2 URI Super Actinic 39W. Mark from HR told me I could grow 60-70% of all corals with these lights so I'm happy with that (for now). Oh I also got 2 Coralife Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED Lights -3/4watt. I decided to go with the Remora Pro for skimming and I got a 75gpd ro/di. So that's a start. My plan is to purchase live Tonga Rock, about 70lbs, and 60lbs of Aragamax Select for the substrate. I am going to focus on growing soft corals to start with, I really like zoanthids! I'm in Terrace, BC. Glad to be here!

niloc16
07-05-2007, 07:10 AM
welcome melina. sounds like your starting off right. good for you

Doug
07-05-2007, 01:56 PM
Welcome to Canreef. :mrgreen:

michika
07-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Hi, and welcome!

Sounds like you've started off right. I'm excited to see how everything progresses.

muck
07-05-2007, 03:38 PM
Welcome to Canreef Melina.
Make sure to take progression photos for all of us.. :mrgreen:

trilinearmipmap
07-05-2007, 07:11 PM
OK Melina I hope your tank goes well.

We really should start up an Northwest BC Reefing group. We could arrange group orders of livestock and supplies.

Melina
07-05-2007, 08:21 PM
OK Melina I hope your tank goes well.

We really should start up an Northwest BC Reefing group. We could arrange group orders of livestock and supplies.

Thanks guys!
I'm happy to be here!
Yes, a NW BC reefing group would be cool! We just moved into the area and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!!!! I've been in touch with another member on this forum, hawk, also from Terrace. trilinearmipmap, do you know of any other reefers in the area? PS I'm going to Rupert next week to go on an eco-educational tour with the kids. Apparently they have a "petting aquarium" on board the boat, with star fish, sea cucumbers, etc?

Melina
07-10-2007, 04:33 AM
I ordered my tank & stand from the local Petland here in Terrace... I was expecting it to come in next week. Today, when I was in shopping for a qt tank I want to set up, the owner says to me, "oh yeah, by the way, we can't find a stand for your tank.. Hagen doesn't make any in that size". :sad: wtf??? They make the aquarium but have no stand for it? Apparently it's because the width is 18" instead of 16"? So I don't know... the guy is supposed to call another store in Vancouver tomorrow and let me know.

Carrera75
07-10-2007, 06:19 AM
What are the dimensions of the stand you are looking for. Big Al's has a stand that's 36" Long X 19" Wide..........

NateL
07-10-2007, 06:23 AM
Welcome to canreef!

Melina
07-10-2007, 06:33 AM
What are the dimensions of the stand you are looking for. Big Al's has a stand that's 36" Long X 19" Wide..........

hey thanks, I think that would work... my tank is 36 long X 18 wide X 20 deep. I'll look into it!

Skimmerking
07-10-2007, 04:39 PM
WELCOME:mrgreen: to canreef melina

Carrera75
07-10-2007, 07:00 PM
hey thanks, I think that would work... my tank is 36 long X 18 wide X 20 deep. I'll look into it!

I think the price is $129.99....I was there couple of weeks ago because I was looking for a similar stand.

Good luck

Mik_101
07-10-2007, 07:06 PM
WELCOME TO CANREEF...GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR TANK

Melina
07-10-2007, 07:17 PM
I think the price is $129.99....I was there couple of weeks ago because I was looking for a similar stand.

Good luck

Yes it's 129.99, I just ordered it. Light oak. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Reefer Rob
07-10-2007, 07:28 PM
I got 4 ATI Blue Plus 39W and 2 URI Super Actinic 39W. Mark from HR told me I could grow 60-70% of all corals with these lights so I'm happy with that (for now).

That light combo will be pretty blue. Sounds more like the right lights for supplemental lighting. I like a 50/50 combo of Aquablue and Blue Plus for stand alone T5 lighting. Not sure what corals wouldn't grow well under those lights. T5s are great!

Melina
07-11-2007, 05:56 AM
You know what, I just checked my lights and to be honest I think I was wrong when I said I had the super actinics. I have 2 ATI Blue Plus and 4 T5 HO 39W 10000K. Are these the Aquablue? Can you tell I am a beginner???? :lol:

Reefer Rob
07-11-2007, 03:54 PM
The Aquablue will say "Aquablue" on them, they are around 10,000K. That combo should give a nice light to start, but as they age a bit they will shift toward the red spectrum and you may want 3 blue plus. It's all a matter of personal taste though, that's just the look I like.

Melina
07-13-2007, 08:30 PM
Well, I joined Reef Central and was reading how a lot of members there think the Remora Pro is a piece of garbage. I started thinking I need a better skimmer, so after speaking to Mike at Hidden Reef this morning, he explained all the benefits of having a sump. Oh and I've been having some nasty experiences at Petland. I have personal issues with the manager there. I won't be doing any more business with Petland. SO. I've cancelled my order at Petland for the 54g. And I'm going to return the stand I ordered from Big Al's. Mike and his team are going to put together a 58g (36 x 19 x 24) for me, with a 25g sump & Euro-reef skimmer, with a pine stand. I'm pretty excited.

michika
07-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Sounds like a good set up. Is a refugium included within the sump?

Melina
07-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Sounds like a good set up. Is a refugium included within the sump?
Nope but he said one could easily be added?? Gosh I am so new to all this, I don't know, he explained it all to me, something about having 2 returns from the pump for really good water flow? I am so lost when it comes to the technicalities. I'm just sort of blindly following his advice because I trust him. Meantime I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I still have to learn exactly what a refugium is. Is it to grow food for the inhabitants? duhhh I'm such a beginner!!!!!!!!

Hey what do you all think of the Tek Light T5's, will they deliver enough light in the new tank which is 24" deep as opposed to 20"?

Reefer Rob
07-13-2007, 09:26 PM
If there is room under the stand go a little larger on the sump and have a refugium built at one end. If you had about a 12" cube that overflows into the main sump it would be a great place to grow macro-algae for nutrient export.
May as well start off right, you're going to want it later anyway :wink:

0sprey
07-13-2007, 10:10 PM
Refugiums are used to grow certain kinds of live food... particularly copepods and amphipods. These are the foods needed for fish like the mandarin dragonet and seahorses...slow eaters that often refuse dead food. You can also grow macroalgae in the refugium for nutrient export (it absorbs nitrates as it grows, and when you prune it, it removes the nitrates from the system).

An alternative to the in-sump refugium is to try to find space for an upstream refugium... that's a 'fuge that's kept above the tank. You pump water up from the tank and have an overflow take the water back. This provides a steady stream of live 'pods for the tank. You can buy HOB ones, but they're usually small... a fuge with a proper stand above the tank is the best option.

I should, of course, note that I do NOT have an upstream refugium, mostly because of extra cost. Mine is in-sump.

Melina
07-13-2007, 10:18 PM
Refugiums are used to grow certain kinds of live food... particularly copepods and amphipods. These are the foods needed for fish like the mandarin dragonet and seahorses...slow eaters that often refuse dead food. You can also grow macroalgae in the refugium for nutrient export (it absorbs nitrates as it grows, and when you prune it, it removes the nitrates from the system).

An alternative to the in-sump refugium is to try to find space for an upstream refugium... that's a 'fuge that's kept above the tank. You pump water up from the tank and have an overflow take the water back. This provides a steady stream of live 'pods for the tank. You can buy HOB ones, but they're usually small... a fuge with a proper stand above the tank is the best option.

I should, of course, note that I do NOT have an upstream refugium, mostly because of extra cost. Mine is in-sump.
I understand now, thanks!

Reefer Rob
07-13-2007, 10:35 PM
I had an "upstream refugium" on my last tank, it was a real PTA. It was impossible to have the water flow back into the tank without creating bubbles, which pop and make a mess of your nice T5 lights.

Redrover
07-15-2007, 05:37 AM
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/Redrover_02/DSCN0253.jpg

This is pic of the Sump with an integrated refugium
Marc [ SuperFudge ] from Hidden Reef, this the kind of work he does
Top of the line....Again welcome to Canreef
RJ

Sushiman
07-15-2007, 07:55 AM
Welcome aboard; you like burning up $100 bills too huh? You've come to the right hobby! ;)

Melina
07-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Welcome aboard; you like burning up $100 bills too huh? You've come to the right hobby! ;)
LOL yeah I guess I do!

Hey, just wondering about when it's time to fill the tank with saltwater. Can I mix the saltwater in the tank? I know you should never do this once there is livestock in the tank, but what about the first time I fill it?
I'm thinking of the buckets I will need to get. If I do a 10% water change once a week, is it 10% of my display tank's volume (6.5g), or 10% of the total volume (+sump = 9g). I am wondering how much water I will have to mix for each water change. If I find a 10g+- container, when it comes time to fill the tank for the first time, do I have to pre-mix the salt in the container before adding it to the tank? I'll have to do this about 9 times if I have a 10g container (about the biggest I'm going to find, methinks). Can I just fill the tank with RO/DI water, then add my salt to the tank instead?
Then I think, I need to have it only partially filled when the live rock & sand arrives...

How am I going to do this? Here's what I'm thinking: Fill it half full, say 30g, mix in the salt... turn the powerheads on and let it aerate while I wait for the rock to get here... then fill it with the rock. Then top it off with RO/DI water and add the correct amount of salt to the tank again to reach my desired salinity?

What do you think?

michika
07-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Mix your water outside of the tank, unless the tank is completely empty, no sand, no rock, nothing. If you want to add water after you add rock you should do it pre mixed. Mixing in salt and water in a tank with liverock could kill off your beneficial bacteria and any pods that may have shipped with your rock because of swings in salinity.

If you want to do 10% I would say it should be of the total volume of the system. It doesn't have to be exactly 10%, you could always just go for two 5g buckets, or if you have a separate tank set up for mixing and preparing salt water, then go that route.

Redrover
07-19-2007, 10:55 PM
If you go to Google and type in setting up a reef tank
There is a number of good ways...it takes you from start to finnish
Anything you want to know in regards to reefing you will fine

RJ

jasond
07-20-2007, 12:00 AM
Welcom Melina

Just wanted to say that I am looking forward to following your progress. I am new as well at this, started of with a 20G, and already looking to upgrade to a 50-60gallon! Let us know how everything goes, cant wait to see some pics!

Jason

Melina
08-12-2007, 02:59 AM
Does anyone know how I can change the title of this thread? My tank has evolved into a 65 gallon with a sump...
I've written to the administrator twice, asking for the thread to be removed (as this would be my preference.. I'd just like to start a new thread). I have not even gotten a response to my messages and the thread is still here.

michika
08-12-2007, 03:35 AM
You should be able to edit your original post to reflect the title, or you could probably start a new thread, and just put a link here to it.

Skimmerking
08-12-2007, 03:36 AM
when you go into Edit mode to change anything there is a advanced edit button,..HTH

Skimmerking
08-12-2007, 03:37 AM
damn you catherine Lol you beat me again

michika
08-12-2007, 03:45 AM
Muhahahahah! :D

Melina
08-12-2007, 04:59 AM
thanks guys :biggrin:
I'm going to start a new thread and put the link to it here.

Melina
08-12-2007, 05:56 AM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=265388#post265388

Hey everyone, please follow this new thread, thanks!

Doug
08-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Melina, any of the staff could help you. Would you like this thread removed? Our administrator is far away, working. :D