PDA

View Full Version : LF: 36" T5 Light Fixture

cooper
07-04-2007, 07:02 AM
Am looking for a 36" T5 light fixture. Pm if you have one for sale.

andresont
07-04-2007, 08:20 AM
Makes two of us !

cooper
07-04-2007, 03:09 PM
Makes two of us !

Hey buddy

which would be a good fish store to buy a T5 light fixture......at a decent price. Brand new T5 light fixtures are very expensive..

tang daddy
07-04-2007, 04:55 PM
I bought one from hidden reef a couple months back HO t5 56w 20000k for my fowler and i'd have to say best t5 I ever seen now I'm not too sure you might want to call them 1st but they may have lower k bulbs for the application so it's not as blue also OA can get these in.
Chris

cooper
07-04-2007, 05:55 PM
I bought one from hidden reef a couple months back HO t5 56w 20000k for my fowler and i'd have to say best t5 I ever seen now I'm not too sure you might want to call them 1st but they may have lower k bulbs for the application so it's not as blue also OA can get these in.
Chris

What brand is it? was it epxensive?

tang daddy
07-04-2007, 11:56 PM
it was fairly cheap don't know the brand made in China but what isn't $50

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-05-2007, 12:59 AM
These ones TD is talking about are the light strips, not the full T5 units (like a Tek). Great light for the price though.

cooper
07-05-2007, 01:03 AM
Am looking for the full T5 light fixture (like a Tek or Aquatinics)with 4 or 6 bulbs and independant reflectors

Melina
07-05-2007, 06:14 AM
I bought a 36" Tek-Light T5 High Output Fixture today from Hidden Reef for $449.99, it holds 6 bulbs. They also sell Aquatinics 36" 5 Lamp T5 (39W T5HO) for $439.99

cooper
07-05-2007, 06:16 AM
I bought a 36" Tek-Light T5 High Output Fixture today from Hidden Reef for $449.99, it holds 6 bulbs. They also sell Aquatinics 36" 5 Lamp T5 (39W T5HO) for $439.99

You paid $449.99? does that include taxes? bulbs and mounting bracket?

Thanks

Melina
07-05-2007, 07:15 AM
It includes the mounting bracket only. Bulbs he let me have all 6 for 100$ extra.

andresont
07-05-2007, 07:30 AM
yeah buddy, everyone tells me that indivdual Tek reflectors are key key key, for T5. That is why they are pricy.
I am in the light upgrade mode right now (i want to keep SPS and clams) and trying to decide what to do, ither go with 2 x 250 HQI DE MH pendants or 6xTek T5.
If i will go T5 way it will have to be TEK with 6 bulbs because in 36" size even though they are High Output it is 39Watt bulbs not 54W, But brackets are creasy expensive arn't they ?!

tang daddy
07-05-2007, 07:31 AM
Better to go with used mh half a grand I could buy alot of stuff!

Melina
07-05-2007, 07:46 AM
Yeah but if you go with the mh then you'll need a chiller to run them which means a lot more money if you don't already have a chiller.

andresont
07-05-2007, 07:46 AM
Better to go with used mh half a grand I could buy alot of stuff!

You could be right depending on what kind of staff you are talking about :)
In this hobby $500 is only a beginning.

andresont
07-05-2007, 08:00 AM
http://www.hiddenreef.ca/storefront/storefront.php?function=viewproduct&productid=241&categoryid=90

Does anybody knows if this fixture has individual reflectors ?
Melina?

andresont
07-05-2007, 08:05 AM
http://www.hiddenreef.ca/storefront/storefront.php?function=viewproduct&productid=463&categoryid=127

This light with 6 bulbs for $100 and legs for $70 is $700 after tax.
So tired of looking, reading and thinking almost ready to call Hidden Reef ....

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-05-2007, 09:27 AM
$449.99 plus $100 for bulbs = $549.99 + tax = $627.49.

cooper
07-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Yeah but if you go with the mh then you'll need a chiller to run them which means a lot more money if you don't already have a chiller.

I think you are right (Melina), usually MH create a heck of a lot of heat so a chiller would be needed. After all it might be cheaper to for a Tek T5 LF.

Did you pay $627.49 after taxes for the light fixture, bulbs and mounting brackets? that does not sounds too bad.

I know I could buy a HQI light fixture with that money but then I might have to buy a chiller due to heat and I don't really want to spend more money on a chiller.

dreef
07-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Go with the teks,you won't regret it,very low heat,i decided to go that route a year ago.No central air and main floor,i use the legs,mounted lights 6 " off the top.I was VERY lucky :) bought a 2 week old fixture off RC.. 8 Tube 48 inch...307 CAN shipped too my usa buds, 2 hrs away....Got the tubes on sale (ati) 20 bucks apeice.

Melina
07-05-2007, 04:54 PM
that total sounds about right... I bought and ro/di and a skimmer too, so the taxes were added to the final total. But yeah, it was 549.99 all together for the lights.

cooper
07-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Go with the teks,you won't regret it,very low heat,i decided to go that route a year ago.No central air and main floor,i use the legs,mounted lights 6 " off the top.I was VERY lucky :) bought a 2 week old fixture off RC.. 8 Tube 48 inch...307 CAN shipped too my usa buds, 2 hrs away....Got the tubes on sale (ati) 20 bucks apeice.

I am leaning towards getting the T5s instead of MH. My apartment is all glass, windows from floor to ceiling so heat in the summer can be a problem. I am going to keep looking for a used full T5 light fixture and if I can't find anything used then I guess I'll have to buy it brand new:sad: .

Melina
07-05-2007, 06:32 PM
I am leaning towards getting the T5s instead of MH. My apartment is all glass, windows from floor to ceiling so heat in the summer can be a problem. I am going to keep looking for a used full T5 light fixture and if I can't find anything used then I guess I'll have to buy it brand new:sad: .
that sounds like a cool apartment!
out of curiosity (I'm new at this), will changing the lighting in your tank have an adverse effect on the livestock in it? Aren't they sensitive to light changes, just like they're sensitive to changes in temp., salinity, ph, etc?

cooper
07-05-2007, 07:04 PM
that sounds like a cool apartment!
out of curiosity (I'm new at this), will changing the lighting in your tank have an adverse effect on the livestock in it? Aren't they sensitive to light changes, just like they're sensitive to changes in temp., salinity, ph, etc?

It is a cool apartment, I love it! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: . Great view of the mountains and ocean:razz: .

I am not an expert but I think that when you go from PC to MH you have to adapt your corals slowly because they are sensitive to sudden changes.

Melina
07-05-2007, 07:05 PM
It is a cool apartment, I love it! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: . Great view of the mountains and ocean:razz: .

I am not an expert but I think that when you go from PC to MH you have to adapt your corals slowly because they are sensitive to sudden changes.
how do you do that I wonder?:question:

cooper
07-06-2007, 07:05 AM
wow..... T5s are almost as epxensive as MH .........

andresont
07-06-2007, 07:12 AM
Ok, does anybody have a link to the official info on how often do i need to change t5's? cant find it on my own...
I heard 6-9 month is this correct?

Melina
07-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Ok, does anybody have a link to the official info on how often do i need to change t5's? cant find it on my own...
I heard 6-9 month is this correct?

hmmm Mark at Hidden Reef told me 12 months, I'll have to look into that too

tang daddy
07-06-2007, 07:22 AM
T5 can be more expensive than mh now if you go witha 400w then you will need a chiller just think about it this way tek t5 with 6 bulbs how much wattage are they combined as oppose to a 175w mh think the heat issues are the same the only difference is the money you save in the end changing 6 bulbs vs changing 1 also if you live in an all glass apartment then you should be investing in a chiller or going with a reverse cycle on the lights for the summer I had a 175w mh all winter long on my 65g it was fine now I have a 400w mh sitting 4in from the water and when it's 30 outside with the lights off, tank sits about 27c at 5pm when the lights go on 27.2 at 6pm 28 so I got a chiller, my 30g anmone tank no chiller on a reverse cycle 26.7 all night strong the light sits right on the tank so you don't really need a chiller if you run your lights at night for 175w mh but 400 is debateble hope this was helpfull.

andresont
07-06-2007, 07:35 AM
Also we should keep in mind that T5 bulbs at 36" long are not 54Watts they a re what 39W?
Not sure if this makes less ,heat but less light for sure compare to 48" long bulbs

andresont
07-06-2007, 08:07 AM
Hey Melina, can you pls tell me how much light spill do you have from you 36" Tek T5x6 unit. ?
Is there a lot of light on the walls etc.
Say if you are at the front of your tank on a chair and the light fixture is above your eye level do you have bright area in view?
THX.

andresont
07-06-2007, 08:22 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1149579
Check this out.
Scroll down for "hahnmeister's" tests and pictures.
I wonder if any of you guys agree with his statement about T5 sun bulbs.
If I wanted more from the T5s, I could use sun bulbs rather than aquablues, and use more blue+ or daylight lamps rather than the true actinics. Actinics really handycap the T5s overall output. Likewise, I could run the pheonix on a HQI ballast... so things even out.
End quote

cooper
07-06-2007, 03:28 PM
T5 can be more expensive than mh now if you go witha 400w then you will need a chiller just think about it this way tek t5 with 6 bulbs how much wattage are they combined as oppose to a 175w mh think the heat issues are the same the only difference is the money you save in the end changing 6 bulbs vs changing 1 also if you live in an all glass apartment then you should be investing in a chiller or going with a reverse cycle on the lights for the summer I had a 175w mh all winter long on my 65g it was fine now I have a 400w mh sitting 4in from the water and when it's 30 outside with the lights off, tank sits about 27c at 5pm when the lights go on 27.2 at 6pm 28 so I got a chiller, my 30g anmone tank no chiller on a reverse cycle 26.7 all night strong the light sits right on the tank so you don't really need a chiller if you run your lights at night for 175w mh but 400 is debateble hope this was helpfull.

So you think that by doing the reverse cycle I would be able to get by without having to buy a chiller? The MH light fixture that looked at comes with built in fans and I wonder if that really helps to get rid of the heat.

tang daddy
07-06-2007, 05:03 PM
It will move heat the fans but it also helps if you have fans blowing across the surface of your tank which will get rid of more heat 39-40watts x6 =240w vs 175w mh save on your electricity bill aswell more efficient also running your lights at night will be cooler for the tank just until the heat wave dissapates and in the daytime with the lights off your tank should be stable depending on where the sun rises and sets if your apartment is getting alot of sun I suggest you draw your blinds close so that it forms a trap for your heat between the window and your blinds also keep the windows open so that the air has a chance to escape with 175w mh you will be able to keep everything other than sps but some sps can be kept aswell beginer stuff like digis and montis up closer to the top.

cooper
07-06-2007, 05:13 PM
It will move heat the fans but it also helps if you have fans blowing across the surface of your tank which will get rid of more heat 39-40watts x6 =240w vs 175w mh save on your electricity bill aswell more efficient also running your lights at night will be cooler for the tank just until the heat wave dissapates and in the daytime with the lights off your tank should be stable depending on where the sun rises and sets if your apartment is getting alot of sun I suggest you draw your blinds close so that it forms a trap for your heat between the window and your blinds also keep the windows open so that the air has a chance to escape with 175w mh you will be able to keep everything other than sps but some sps can be kept aswell beginer stuff like digis and montis up closer to the top.

The MH LF that I am thinking about buying comes with 2X150 HQI + 2X39 T5s.

Melina
07-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Hey Melina, can you pls tell me how much light spill do you have from you 36" Tek T5x6 unit. ?
Is there a lot of light on the walls etc.
Say if you are at the front of your tank on a chair and the light fixture is above your eye level do you have bright area in view?
THX.
Sorry I can't tell you because the fixture will only be here on Tuesday and I don't even have my tank yet :biggrin:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-06-2007, 05:41 PM
how do you do that I wonder?:question:

You would adapt the corals by having the MH light higher & slowly lowering it &/or having the MH photoperiod short (say 4 hrs to start) and then increasing it gradually over the period of a couple of weeks.

If you have corals under lower light & suddenly brighten up the tank with more powerful lights without changing anything, then your corals might experience light-shock & bleach out or melt even (turn to brown slime).

Anthony

andresont
07-07-2007, 01:23 AM
hmmm Mark at Hidden Reef told me 12 months, I'll have to look into that too
As per these guys the Aquablue+ is good for 24 month !

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=480

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=28_39

Melina
07-07-2007, 02:02 AM
Thanks for the info!

Melina
07-07-2007, 02:05 AM
You would adapt the corals by having the MH light higher & slowly lowering it &/or having the MH photoperiod short (say 4 hrs to start) and then increasing it gradually over the period of a couple of weeks.

If you have corals under lower light & suddenly brighten up the tank with more powerful lights without changing anything, then your corals might experience light-shock & bleach out or melt even (turn to brown slime).

Anthony

Thanks for the info!

andresont
07-07-2007, 05:17 AM
Ok people please welcome me to Tek T5 club !
Just ordered 36" long fixture with 6 lamps. What a struggle to choose the bulbs ... so i went with 4x Aquablue Plus and 2x Powerchrome Midday. I also have two actinics at home already so will see what i will finally go with.

Melina did you get the acrilic lens cover for you bulbs? Might be a good idea easy to clean one sheet of acrilic instead of all the bulbs and reflectors imo.

Melina
07-07-2007, 05:23 AM
Just ordered 36" long fixture with 6 lamps. What a struggle to choose the bulbs ... so i went with 4x Aquablue Plus and 2x Powerchrome Midday. I also have two actinics at home already so will see what i will finally go with.

Melina did you get the acrilic lens cover for you bulbs? Might be a good idea easy to clean one sheet of acrilic instead of all the bulbs and reflectors imo.

Welcome to the Tek T5 club!!!! Where did you order from?
Man I didn't even know about that lens cover. This is my first reef tank; do the bulbs & reflectors really get dirty? How often will I have to clean them?

cooper
07-07-2007, 06:12 AM

Where did you order the Tek T5 from? How much did you pay?

andresont
07-07-2007, 06:39 AM
Melina ,
Thanks to you i ordered from Hidden Reef because J&L would not beat nor match the price.
yes your bulbs will get covered in ocasional salt creep from splashes, and micro bubbles bursting, unless you will have them very high up, but you kinda need all the light you can get. Once a month on the safe side. you will need cleaning if you have new skimmer returning micro bubbles to your tank then more often.
So bulbs are OK for 2 years "officialy" thats good lets see how SPS will like it.

Cooper,

I paid $550+$10 lens cover +tax=$632.80 Including shipping, legs, lens cover and bulbs

Melina
07-07-2007, 07:00 AM
I am going to ask them for that lens cover when I call them next week. Did you tell them I referred you? he he :lol:
I am going to order a few more things from them, I really liked the service. I'm hoping to have my tank set up in a couple weeks. Let me know how your stoneys like them. I'm going to start with softies for now, but eventually will want to move on to some LPS and SPS. I wonder what species of stoney corals would be good to start with and which ones would thrive under these lights? Any advice?

andresont
07-07-2007, 08:58 AM
I told him "someone" from CanReef got it so he gave me the same price.
I have small SPS frag now under Coralife 2x96W PC and it is Not brown but light green. I got a little frag from Famous Chin Lee some time ago and now fragged it from my nano to my 60gal. It is (was) pink milliporah.

I think T5 will be better then PC so will see. I decided to go ahead and try new staff. Any body can grow SPS under MH lets see if we can do it under T5's LOL !
If you just starting your tank be carefull even though your Water is "Fine" dont put any fish in there at least for a 3 month. Start with staff that you dont have to feed. Even SPS frag in 30 day old tank is safer then a little Demsel fish.
Put any fish in a new tank and you will be reading hair algae threads in no time, because its fun to feed the fish.
jm2cw

I am going to ask them for that lens cover when I call them next week. Did you tell them I referred you? he he :lol:
I am going to order a few more things from them, I really liked the service. I'm hoping to have my tank set up in a couple weeks. Let me know how your stoneys like them. I'm going to start with softies for now, but eventually will want to move on to some LPS and SPS. I wonder what species of stoney corals would be good to start with and which ones would thrive under these lights? Any advice?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Melina,

SPS should go into a stable tank, not a new one. The easiest sps in general are the Montipora digitatas & M. caps. I think the rule of thumb is that when your tank is growing coraline algae well, then it is ready for corals. SPS are much more sensitive to nutrient loads than softies or LPS.

Anthony

cooper
07-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Melina ,
Thanks to you i ordered from Hidden Reef because J&L would not beat nor match the price.
yes your bulbs will get covered in ocasional salt creep from splashes, and micro bubbles bursting, unless you will have them very high up, but you kinda need all the light you can get. Once a month on the safe side. you will need cleaning if you have new skimmer returning micro bubbles to your tank then more often.
So bulbs are OK for 2 years "officialy" thats good lets see how SPS will like it.

Cooper,

I paid $550+$10 lens cover +tax=$632.80 Including shipping, legs, lens cover and bulbs

Is this right?..........You piad $632.80 inclduing taxes for the 36" Tek light fixture,6 bulbs legs and lens cover? That's a prett decent price considering that the bulbs are good for 24 months............I should give them a call and ask if I can get the same price.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Melina
07-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Melina,

SPS should go into a stable tank, not a new one. The easiest sps in general are the Montipora digitatas & M. caps. I think the rule of thumb is that when your tank is growing coraline algae well, then it is ready for corals. SPS are much more sensitive to nutrient loads than softies or LPS.

Anthony
Do you have to wait for the coraline aglae before putting in soft corals? My plan was to keep corals & inverts, not fish. Well maybe a couple clowns but that's it. So should I put in the "clean-up crew" and wait for the coraline before putting in any soft corals?

andresont
07-08-2007, 05:37 AM
Do you have to wait for the coraline aglae before putting in soft corals? My plan was to keep corals & inverts, not fish. Well maybe a couple clowns but that's it. So should I put in the "clean-up crew" and wait for the coraline before putting in any soft corals?

Yes, Anthony is absolutely right the rule of the thumb is when you have coraline growth at size about a dime or more on you glass you can start adding SPS.
Just hold with the fish as long as you can. Start with the staff that you do not have to feed, I know epmty tank is boring but patiense id the key.
LPS is pretty much the same thing and they load your system too.
Better wait and use carbon as soon as you get first LPS the are very chemicaly active.
For soft corals you should be ok after 30 days as long as you buy ones that feed on light.

andresont
07-08-2007, 05:38 AM
Is this right?..........You piad $632.80 inclduing taxes for the 36" Tek light fixture,6 bulbs legs and lens cover? That's a prett decent price considering that the bulbs are good for 24 months............I should give them a call and ask if I can get the same price.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Well i did not get the bill yet but that was my understanding.